New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

Hi all,

A while back, I jumped head first into the Godox flash system, selling my collection of SB-900s and 700s in favor of an AD600 and 3 AD200s. Great setup, and I can't say enough good things about it.

Last week, however, I decided that it would be convenient to retain one Nikon speedlight, a) for (rare) on-camera use, and b) to give me the ability to build 5-strobe lighting setups, so I bought a (used) SB-910 and a couple of the X1-R(N) receivers, which, I gather, should allow me to integrate the SB into the X1 triggering system.

However… I can't seem to make any power adjustments to the SB. Hitting the test button, or taking a photo does trigger the flash, but it seems to be fixed on around 1/128 power.

I've tried with both X1-T and XT-32 triggers. I've tried changing the turn-on order of the flash, trigger and receiver. I've tried the flash in TTL, M, remote and master modes, all with no joy. All the Godox gear has the latest firmware (including the X1-Rs, on v18, which supposedly "solves the compatible problem of using SB910 or SB5000"). Also, from what I can tell, the SB-910 works as it should when not connected to the Godox trigger.

All very frustrating, I'm wondering if anyone out there in the interwebs has a similar setup that is working as it should? Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks!
C

Edited on Sep 24, 2017 at 02:26 PM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:08 PM
degeost

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

I have a pair of SB910 units that I use on x1r-n, controlled by x1t-n triggers. Since the x1t-n uses the Nikon ttl protocol to communicate with the x1r-n, the SB910 must be in TTL mode. Also, the xt32 doesn't do TTL, so it won't work with the x1r-n.

Works well when x1t-n has group for x1r-n set to manual power, and works ok when x1t-n group is set to TTL.

As long as the x1t-n and x1r-n are not next to each other, I don't see any problems using the SB910 on the x1r-n.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

Thanks for the reply.

I tried again: SB-910 in TTL, X1t and X1r both on channel 1 group A, distance between t and r approx 10 feet. The result is the same. Test button fires the flash, but it doesn't respond to power adjustments.

I also tried with different channels and groups. Same result. Also with 2 separate t units, and 2 separate r units. Same result.

Maybe there's something wrong with the flash? But it seems to function as expected in all other ways. I've tried resetting it from the menu. Doesn't make a difference. The flash firmware is v 7.001 and I'm not seeing any updates available from Nikon.

Anyone have any other ideas/solutions short of investing in another AD200 or an 860?

C

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:44 AM
degeost

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

Yes, I think it is your SB910. When I first got my x1r-n units, I had some trouble getting a solid connection between the SB910/SB700 flash units and the x1r-n. Seemed that wiggling the flash helped, but sometimes it just wouldn't connect properly. Eventually I put a short TTL cable between the flash and the x1r-n and that worked every time.
I suspect that 1 or more pins on your SB910 isn't extending far enough to make contact with the X1r-n, but is far enough on your camera hotshoe. This would explain why your flash will at least test fire since only the center pin is needed for that. If 1 or more pins aren't connecting, you won't get TTL mode recognized by the x1r-n.
So if you have a good quality TTL cable, you might try that between the flash and the x1r-n.

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:08 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

Well, I solved the problem. Turns out the power level of the remote flash will only be set correctly when the transmitter is in the camera hotshoe. I have no idea why this should be the case, but slide the Tx into the hotshoe and the issue immediately disappears.

Silly me for not trying that earlier, but yay!

C

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM
akobam123

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

I had a Nikon d750, two Nikon SB-700 speedlites, and an Atom 360. I purchased the XPro transmitter and three XR1 receivers and had the very same issue, NO POWER when shooting from the camera. So in the end I changed the 'Batteries' in the XPro Transmitter and a 'Camera icon' appeared on the transmitter which I'd not seen before and alas, the HSS was working and I was able to use and control the power of all three flashes from taking a photo. I'd read lots of forms saying, "Change your speedlites to TTL" which is true it's required, but no advice after that. So out of interest, I put the first set of AA batteries back in the transmitter and it was working still. So my conclusion is, the pins that connect the transmitter to the camera must have been a little out of line, and after taking the transmitter on and off quite a few times, it seemed to have resolved itself after a bit of wear, straight out the box. Thought I'd share my experience anyways, now loving this product. Super tidy, lightweight and professional looking not to mention the ability to use multiple brand flash heads all from one neat transmitter. Great products guys! #godox #xpron #xr1

Feb 08, 2020 at 05:38 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SOLVED - Help! - Integrating SB-910 with Godox X1 system

Chris Court wrote:
Well, I solved the problem. Turns out the power level of the remote flash will only be set correctly when the transmitter is in the camera hotshoe. I have no idea why this should be the case, but slide the Tx into the hotshoe and the issue immediately disappears.

Silly me for not trying that earlier, but yay!

C

I don't know how it could work any other way. I don't quite follow - where else would you put a transmitter?

Feb 08, 2020 at 05:52 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.