Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Nikon patents two full-frame mirrorless lenses: 52mm F0.9 and 36mm F1.2

jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon patents two full-frame mirrorless lenses: 52mm F0.9 and 36mm F1.2

morris wrote:
Pardon me, what makes a lens mirrorless?

Morris

A lens that is specifically designed to not have a lot of space between the sensor and the rear element as almost all mirrorless cameras have a very short registration distance.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:24 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon patents two full-frame mirrorless lenses: 52mm F0.9 and 36mm F1.2

jhinkey wrote:
A lens that is specifically designed to not have a lot of space between the sensor and the rear element as almost all mirrorless cameras have a very short registration distance.

Thank you John,

I don't see this as unique to mirrorless and hardly new and worthy of a patent. I can see how this would save body weight as it would require less material.

Morris

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:45 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon patents two full-frame mirrorless lenses: 52mm F0.9 and 36mm F1.2

If Nikon were to make an entirely, possibly mirrorless, new and larger lens mount then they could make and mount super speed lenses presently, too large for the F mount.

It is reputed that some camera makers curve their sensor(s) so that light falling from the closer rear element of the lens approaches the sensor at less of an angle. Of course such lenses must be made native to that sensor. This is one reason why some WA DSLR lens do not adapt well to mirrorless sensors.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:28 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon patents two full-frame mirrorless lenses: 52mm F0.9 and 36mm F1.2

SoundHound wrote:
If Nikon were to make an entirely, possibly mirrorless, new and larger lens mount then they could make and mount super speed lenses presently, too large for the F mount.

It is reputed that some camera makers curve their sensor(s) so that light falling from the closer rear element of the lens approaches the sensor at less of an angle. Of course such lenses must be made native to that sensor. This is one reason why some WA DSLR lens do not adapt well to mirrorless sensors.

Actually there are curved sensor prototypes that have been shown, but it's not clear that any are in production.
The curved sensor compensates for field curvature so that in theory the lens designer doesn't have to work hard to correct for that optically. How well this works with zooms and focus changes is TBD. I suspect the curved sensor is best suited to a fixed lens full frame camera since it will only have one lens on it ever.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:02 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon patents two full-frame mirrorless lenses: 52mm F0.9 and 36mm F1.2

morris wrote:
Thank you John,

I don't see this as unique to mirrorless and hardly new and worthy of a patent. I can see how this would save body weight as it would require less material.

Morris

The patent is not a mirrorless lens patent per se, it's just a lens design patent that happens to be one where the sensor is not very far from the rear element, hence it can't be a DSLR lens . . .

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.