Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Some of the WWII nose art is considered risque by some, and in the past, people have objected to it.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/article/195966/boeing-b-17f-memphis-belle/

Come May 2018, this aircraft will be publicly view-able with its nose art restored. I imagine that there will be quite a few photographs made of this plane.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:30 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

anthonysemone wrote:
OMG!!! Which advertisers, Fred, so that I may systematically avoid their product(s).

Hobby Lobby ;-)

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:31 PM
jwilson66

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Whether or not you agree with the decision, the decision has been made. And those of you whining about it with the "what if" questions are being drama queens, IMHO. Is a bikini "nude?" Nope. Any REASONABLE person would understand what people actually mean when the term "nude" is used. If it's a picture that would be shown on network television, then I'm sure it's safe to post; if it has to be on cable TV like HBO or would be in Playboy magazine, then don't post it...pretty simple. He specifically said "nude;" he didn't say IMPLIED nude, he didn't say bathing suits or sexy outfits. And I seriously doubt anyone's going to complain about a sculpture! And the poster who made the "assault rifle" comment, that was probably the dumbest comment I've seen here on FM.

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:17 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

I understand Fred's decision, but I have to ask where it will end if you give in now? Do we prohibit sunset photos soon because someone out there feels offended by the red commie color?

-Phil

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Chicken Little syndrome, described as "inferring catastrophic conclusions possibly resulting in paralysis". (cut and pasted from Wikipedia)

Marty

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:57 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Marty Bingham wrote:
Chicken Little syndrome

Yeah, let's dump the First Amendment.

-Phil

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

PhilPDX wrote:
Yeah, let's dump the First Amendment.

-Phil

Perfect example. Fred says no nudes, fast forward to killing the first amendment...

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:14 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Wow. Surprising decision, but I fully understand. I do find it unlikely, after all this time, that the advertisers suddenly noticed NSFW material being posted here. I'm guessing they were directed to it. Which is the real shame.

That said, I too would be willing to pay a monthly subscription for access to the excellence this forum represents.

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:24 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Marty Bingham wrote:
Perfect example. Fred says no nudes, fast forward to killing the first amendment...

I don't want to argue with you, but it's not as simple as you would have us to believe. Fred just doesn't say "no nudes". The agreement means links as well. Read it for yourself.

"In the past some members posted links to NSFW content, artistic nudes or fine art figure work on the People Photography's board.

However, effective immediately, these types of images will not be allowed here on fredmiranda.com - even if they are labeled and posted as links."

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming Fred. I understand his predicament. I just think the advertiser(s) are overstepping their authority.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:27 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

jwilson66 wrote:
Whether or not you agree with the decision, the decision has been made. And those of you whining about it with the "what if" questions are being drama queens, IMHO. Is a bikini "nude?" Nope. Any REASONABLE person would understand what people actually mean when the term "nude" is used. If it's a picture that would be shown on network television, then I'm sure it's safe to post; if it has to be on cable TV like HBO or would be in Playboy magazine, then don't post it...pretty simple. He specifically said "nude;" he didn't say IMPLIED nude, he didn't
...Show more

He didn't just say nude, it also says "anything that can be deemed inappropriate" or "NSFW".

The sky isn't falling, and I'm not being dramatic. That is just super vague and I was asking for clarity. I'm not even clear on who is deciding what is inappropriate, is it Fred or the advertiser?

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

leighton w wrote:
. Read it for yourself.

I did. I was paraphrasing.

Marty

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:41 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Marty Bingham wrote:
Perfect example. Fred says no nudes, fast forward to killing the first amendment

Georgians don't do sarcasm, I see.

You missed my point completely, Marty. If people start being okay to give up little freedoms like posting art that depicts nudity for example, then it's only a small step before they tolerate even bigger infringements. This reminds me of politicians who tell us that we have to live with the destruction of our environment because we need the jobs. They forget to mention though that once the jobs are there, you'll be too sick to go to work.

-Phil

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

I am less worried about some future version of 1984 since it seems to be happening right now. The new rule gives no objective, verifiable standard for anyone posting an image here about anything:

"if you post anything that is: not suitable for work (NSFW), contains nudity of any kind, sexually oriented or explicit content or anything that can be deemed inappropriate -- which may also include offensive content such as bullying or intimidation of an individual or group, racial discrimination, hate group paraphernalia, graphic crime scene or accident images, cruelty to animals, murder and self-harm."

'Anything that can be deemed inappropriate' is not simply vague. It grants complete editorial control to the advertisers. This may include political protest images as well as boudoir shots. Documentary images as well as portraits. Unless specific guidelines are offered that limit the advertisers' jurisdiction to certain defined types of photography, this ruling may have pushed Fred Miranda into the arms of political ideologues. In our society, in the war between money and integrity, money almost always wins.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:25 PM
brick33308
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Marty Bingham wrote:

it's not a first amendment issue. first amendment prevents government (not Fred or other private entitles) from banning certain speech

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:35 PM
shaunmcfd

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

I get it but the thing is you don't have to stop posting them, you just can't post them here. His site, his rules. Does he let his site dissolve away when advertisers leave with their money or does he make necessary adjustments to keep it going? It's all part of running a business.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

jwilson66 wrote:
If it's a picture that would be shown on network television, then I'm sure it's safe to post; if it has to be on cable TV like HBO or would be in Playboy magazine, then don't post it...pretty simple.

That's a simple way to decide what's appropriate or not under this new rule.

formula4speed wrote:
He didn't just say nude, it also says "anything that can be deemed inappropriate" or "NSFW".

The sky isn't falling, and I'm not being dramatic. That is just super vague and I was asking for clarity. I'm not even clear on who is deciding what is inappropriate, is it Fred or the advertiser?

Unfortunately it's a gray line. Like I wrote, when in doubt please PM me.
In the past I was under the impression that NSFW images could not be embedded on posts and only be shown as links to other sites. That was communicated to FMers and most complied with this rule.

That was not enough and a major ad serving company suspended the site for about three weeks...fredmiranda.com suffered immensely during that time. Since then, I decided to remove all advertisers from the People photography's board with the exception of one. Things went well for many years...

However, this ad serving company believed I was not in compliance, even though they were no longer serving this board. They consider the People's board part of the entire site. Fast-fowarding to last week, I received two warnings with permanent termination on the table. After a few email exchanges, I quickly realize this was a battle I could not win. I thought about creating a new domain like "people.fredmiranda.com" and host this board there. However, that would also be against their policy, since the site is not allowed to link to other sites showing NSFW or content - not in compliance with their program policies.

I do understand and share the frustration. However, when searching the board for NSFW threads, I've learned they were the minority here. From hundreds of threads I only had to remove 12. Therefore, this should not affect our board to the extent that many believe it will. I hope everyone will continue supporting this board and posting here.
If things change in the future, I will let you guys know and in the meantime, rest assured that I will continue working on this.

All the best,
Fred

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:14 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's a simple way to decide what's appropriate or not under this new rule.

Unfortunately it's a gray line. Like I wrote, when in doubt please PM me.
In the past I was under the impression that NSFW images could not be embedded on posts and only be shown as links to other sites. That was communicated to FMers and most complied with this rule.

That was not enough and a major ad serving company suspended the site for about three weeks...fredmiranda.com suffered immensely during that time. Since then, I decided to remove all advertisers from the People photography's board with the
...Show more

Simple question Fred. Could you survive if everyone paid for a subscription and there was no advertising?

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:56 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

Leighton, A++++ to your question.

How about it, Fred? Establish a fee structure relative to what your costs are and what the membership total is. I'd doggone pay lots more than $30/yr to enjoy the opportunity to have a site where f'g advertisers don't get to say what artists can and cannot post upon pain of their dumping you. Piss on them!! You are the site owner; take a stand on these suckers and I'll damn sure support you, and I'm betting a whole bunch of other folks here on this site will do it too.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:14 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

anthonysemone wrote:
Leighton, A++++ to your question.

How about it, Fred? Establish a fee structure relative to what your costs are and what the membership total is. I'd doggone pay lots more than $30/yr to enjoy the opportunity to have a site where f'g advertisers don't get to say what artists can and cannot post upon pain of their dumping you. Piss on them!! You are the site owner; take a stand on these suckers and I'll damn sure support you, and I'm betting a whole bunch of other folks here on this site will do it too.

I don't think a subscription method would work as this ban is really only affecting people photography. Other forums wouldn't care about this ban. It's a real shame this had to happen, This is has slowly been happening with a few posters been forced out over the last couple of years who used to post some sunning work.

As is the case the minority seem to get their way.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New policy regarding NSFW and Nudity. Please read!

I didn't mean for this thread to create controversy among FM members. My intention was to communicate the new board rules and answer some questions about it. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer by PM.

Thanks for your understanding!
Best,
Fred

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password