New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Don't change without handling the cameras. Body size makes a difference. A Big difference in how they feel when you are shooting.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:15 AM
akin_t
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Pavel wrote:
My X100s is not at all soft wide open and it does not have the smudged extreme corners of the 23 f 2.0 which caused me to return both the 35 as well as the 23 f 2.0.

That said, I tend to now shoot about 30 percent Infra Red and have even pondered selling my favorite camera of all time, the X100s. I can always crop out the extreme corners, and they were really only there at the outer edges.

The X100 series has a tiny lens that balances like a dream on that small body and when Fuji said it
...Show more

Unless you got an miracle copy, the X100 and its derivatives are indeed soft wide open. I didn't even think this was up for debate lol.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:55 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

akin_t wrote:
Unless you got an miracle copy, the X100 and its derivatives are indeed soft wide open. I didn't even think this was up for debate lol.

I'm sure you know better than DpReview and have had multiple copies. Ah, the internet and the internuts. Got a dull axe to grind, eh?

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:54 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Sharpness isn't everything.

I also wouldn't call DPR particularly good at lens tests.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:43 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2016/08/25/23-and-2-a-small-look-at-the-fujifilm-xf-23mm-f2-wr/

Don't take my word for it, take this Fuji ambassador and exceptional photographer. The lens on the X100 series could use an upgrade but it's okay for its size.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:59 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

akin_t wrote:

I agree, X100 and its derivatives are indeed soft wide open, I'm surprised someone would attempt to defend that its not. Still a decent camera though. Hope one day they will update the optics though.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:31 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

FlyPenFly wrote:
https://jonasraskphotography.com/2016/08/25/23-and-2-a-small-look-at-the-fujifilm-xf-23mm-f2-wr/

Don't take my word for it, take this Fuji ambassador and exceptional photographer. The lens on the X100 series could use an upgrade but it's okay for its size.

Well this guy uses an imatest test, which takes the bias and someone's bad eyeballsout of it, To quote: "The fixed 23mm f/2 Fujinon lens on the X100S is outstanding in terms of contrast, colors and center resolution. The center and mid-frame of the lens is very sharp right at f/2, which is very impressive."

https://photographylife.com/reviews/fuji-x100s/3

I've taken the trouble to make it easy for you and down below are the comparisons between sharpness of the X100 lens versus the 23 F 1.4 which costs about as much as the whole X100T. I've not hear of complaints of the 23 f 1.4's sharpness, quite the contrary. It's considered a great lens. But actual test show the X100 a bit better at F2.0.

I get that some of you may have a gripes and are fine with non-factual opinions - and perhaps Fuji just sucks with quality control, and a few got duds, but stop spreading dumb FUD. If you can't get super sharp contrasty images wide open with the X100 series, it's either your copy or that you got peanut butter on the front element - again.

Get over it. The X100s is right up there with the sharpest lenses fuji makes. Sharp users? Well Fuji can't be held responsible.

X100s

Fuji 23 F 1.4

Sep 12, 2017 at 02:29 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

What camera was the 23 1.4 tested on?

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/x100-s-t-vs-23mm-f1pt4/

Overall, the FUJINON XF 23mm f/1.4 outperforms the X100S in my tests. This is to be expected given the lens retails for 70% of what the X100S does at the time of writing. The X100S holds its own though and things like the built-in ND filter, leaf shutter, and close-focus capabilities might make it worth taking over, or in addition to the 23mm f/1.4. My X100S won’t be going anywhere.

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:15 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

akin_t wrote:

I use the XPro2 with a range of lenses including the excellent 23mm f/1.4 and the equally good 35mm f/1.4. (Also 14mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.4 macro, 16-55mm, 50-140mm. I once had the 55-200mm, and I used the 35mm f/2 for about a week.)

A couple of months back I had a chance to shoot with the X100f, which I have considered as a second body for some situations where I usually would simply use the 23mm focal length. (For example, some street photography, or using it in conjunction with the XPro2 and other lenses.)

I was very impressed by the X100f, both in terms of its mechanical and interface quality and in terms of its image quality.

I did not have the opportunity to conduct formal, tripod-based tests, instead simply shooting as I would in typical street photography scenarios, and using apertures from f/2 to about f/11. I just pulled up one of the f/2 examples (a phenomenally boring photograph of shelves and cardboard boxes... ;-) and at f/2 the image is fine. It is not as sharp in the corners as in the center, but a) most lenses aren't when shot at their largest apertures and b) the corner softness is quite minor and you wouldn't notice it in a good sized print.

For those who imagine that perfect corner sharpness at the largest aperture is critical, go ahead and get a removable lens camera with a big lens and shoot from the tripod with a remote release. Your corners might be a bit sharper under 100% magnification on the screen.

For those looking for a small and light and very competent fixed lens 23mm f/2 (35mm FF equivalent FL) camera for handheld shooting, the X100f is a great option. (By the way, in essentially all ways, including optical performance, it is way beyond the performance of old-school film 35mm rangefinders.)

Dan

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:13 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

With the X100f there are very few lenses that excel when shot wide open. The optics are designed for portraits wide open and stopping marginally the lens is very sharp. Personally I prefer the differing options and just spending time with the camera to suit your style.

The only issue is whether you are an ardent 35mm FOV shooter. I am not and prefer 50mm or 28mm usually. I moved my X100f only to fund my D850.

For my light to go system I am loving the XT2 and XF 28 and 18. I would imagine the XE3 will be a great choice with flexibility of many lenses. I would seriously consider the XE3 myself

X100F    23mm    f/2.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

akin_t
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

gdanmitchell wrote:
I use the XPro2 with a range of lenses including the excellent 23mm f/1.4 and the equally good 35mm f/1.4. (Also 14mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.4 macro, 16-55mm, 50-140mm. I once had the 55-200mm, and I used the 35mm f/2 for about a week.)

A couple of months back I had a chance to shoot with the X100f, which I have considered as a second body for some situations where I usually would simply use the 23mm focal length. (For example, some street photography, or using it in conjunction with the XPro2 and other lenses.)

I was very impressed by the X100f, both
...Show more

Look, nobody is saying it's not a fine camera, and nobody is striving for optical perfection.

However, (and perhaps the focus distance is a factor here) what I noticed when I owned an X100T was that the lens was inarguably soft (or dreamy if you prefer) at f/2.

Someone mentioned the X100 having excellent optics wide open and I chimed in with my contradictory experience about a camera I once owned.

Stop trying to make this something it's not.

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 06:41 AM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:38 AM
akin_t
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Pavel wrote:
I'm sure you know better than DpReview and have had multiple copies. Ah, the internet and the internuts. Got a dull axe to grind, eh?

*shrug*

I can only speak to my experience while I owned the camera, and I found it soft/dreamy at f/2. I really don't care what DPReview has to say, I owned the camera for two years.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:39 AM
alexjj

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

I own the X100F and really enjoy its size, capability and looks. I took it on vacation to Europe and it was great. I did miss having a longer lens for shots of the kids playing, especially round the pool where I couldn't move any closer.

I've thought about getting the Tele lens converter but that doesn't add enough length for me, plus seems huge for what it does.

I bought the X-T20 thinking I'd replace the X100F by getting the 27mm pancake and then either a zoom or some longer primes. However, I really don't like the ergonomics of the X-T20 - the button layout, the viewfinder in the middle. So I'm thinking of returning it and getting the X-E3, but that's all unecessary information.

The X100F is a very nice camera, and has a lot of features over the X-E3 - just depends if you want/need them or whether the need for different lenses is greater.

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:52 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

In my dreams - Fuji creates three X100 (or X200) series cameras. One with a 16 F 2.8, one as is and one with a 40 f 2.5.

In my nightmares, I try to convince my wife that the money needed for all three is well spent and "essential"!

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Pavel wrote:
In my dreams - Fuji creates three X100 (or X200) series cameras. One with a 16 F 2.8, one as is and one with a 40 f 2.5.

In my nightmares, I try to convince my wife that the money needed for all three is well spent and "essential"!

One interesting option for folks thinking along such lines — since Fujifilm isn't going to do that — is to pair the X100f with a XPro2. Use the little X100f when 23mm is what you need, then switch to the XPro2 with a non-23mm prime or two for those other focal lengths.

For example, assuming that small system size is important to you, the lenses for the XPro2 might include the 14mm f/2.8 (a really find lens that is close to your 16mm FL) and either the 35mm f/2 or the 50mm f/2.

While you might feel differently, while I can see juggling two bodies I would not really want to carry three.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:27 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Pavel wrote:

Sigma did it, and so did Fuji too, with their film rangefinders.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:09 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

The X100F is a superb light to go camera. I had actually bought it for my wife but it ends up she is not a 35mm FOV shooter either so she lost some interest in using it as the imaging did not gel with her perception. She is now using the XT2 with the 27/2.8 and 58/1.2 alongside the 35/1.4 and loving all these options.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:12 AM
George Orwell
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

akin_t wrote:
Look, nobody is saying it's not a fine camera, and nobody is striving for optical perfection.

However, (and perhaps the focus distance is a factor here) what I noticed when I owned an X100T was that the lens was inarguably soft (or dreamy if you prefer) at f/2.

Someone mentioned the X100 having excellent optics wide open and I chimed in with my contradictory experience about a camera I once owned.

Stop trying to make this something it's not.

The X100 camera series is know, well known, to have some softness wide open and focused up close. Any serious review mentions this. My X100 is quite soft at f/2.

The shills and fan boys tap dance around this well known quality.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:13 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

George Orwell wrote:
The X100 camera series is know, well known, to have some softness wide open and focused up close. Any serious review mentions this. My X100 is quite soft at f/2.

The shills and fan boys tap dance around this well known quality.

Poor george. Can't handle the DpReview verdict and neither many other's experience. Take some valium, and then ... go cry somewhere else.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Pavel wrote:
Poor george. Can't handle the DpReview verdict and neither many other's experience. Take some valium, and then ... go cry somewhere else.

Man, he is one angry dude. Everywhere he goes in these forums he personally insults other posters and tries to provoke fights. I stopped responding to him months ago, but he came after me personally this time — on the basis of something he simply made up and hone argued with.

He's on a roll this week. Strange. Obsessive. Now he's here. Swell. Not.

;-)

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:39 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password