Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Melio10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Does anybody know is it possible to have two different settings in 1DX2 so that they could be changed easily with one or two buttons only ? One would be for static birds (Av or M-mode, one shot, single point, slow ISO, slow shutter speed) and another for flying birds (M-mode, servo, multiple points, fast ISO, fast shutter speed). Now I can only change these with multiple buttons meaning fast situations will often be lost.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:56 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Program a custom mode and then use the mode button and dial simultaneously to select one or the other. Changing modes is different from the Canon cameras that have a mode dial but the functionality is still there

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Melio10

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

That worked perfectly, thank you AJSJones! Now I have C1 and C2 modes for both desirable settings. And Mfn button also set for changing between them. Perfect!

Sep 07, 2017 at 06:27 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Learning from this discussion, may I ask if the AF area selection can be assigned in this way. By AF Area, I guess I mean the size of the AF region- single point, 5-point, 9-point, etc. Asking because these are the two parameters I most frequently adjust on the fly.

John Caldwell

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:49 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

This is exactly what C1 etc are for, they record the entire camera setup and quickly let you switch between specific configurations.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:08 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

I can switch between 2 modes quite easily by assigning button functions. I have the focus point+4 for my normal shooting, but have one of the front buttons for single-point, so if I am shooting bird in flight I run as normal then if it lands in foliage I can press the button with my middle finger and it goes from 1+4 point to single point for more accurate focussing without taking my eye from the VF or my finger off the shutter button.
If you go into the custom controls (p443 of the manual) and assign the AF to the front button, then press 'info' and there you can set all the AF parameters - AF zone, AF speed etc.

If you are asking to continually change then it is not so easy

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:10 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Mikehit wrote:
If you are asking to continually change then it is not so easy

I believe you can tell it to always autosave your current settings when you exit the C mode. So if you switch to C1, adjust the AF area, take shots, and then switch to C2- it will store your new AF area in C1.

Of course what we really want is for the camera to do that only sometimes- only when we want it to, and not when we screwed up the settings! But I have not yet perfected my hotshoe mind-reader addon

Sep 07, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Sy Sez
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Don't know about 1DXll, but 7Dll has an "Auto-Update" function for Custom Functions, so if you change a setting it will remain so until change it again.

Example; you have 400 ISO set in C#; change it to ISO 800, & it will remain so, as part of that CF, until changed again.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Sy Sez wrote:
Don't know about 1DXll, but 7Dll has an "Auto-Update" function for Custom Functions, so if you change a setting it will remain so until change it again.

Example; you have 400 ISO set in C#; change it to ISO 800, & it will remain so, as part of that CF, until changed again.

They all that feature if they have custom modes, it's very good to have. I'm often changing settings on the fly and it's annoying to find camera reverts to old setting if you don't enable this.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:35 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Like you said, M-Fn is your best friend in this case.

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:57 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

As already noted by others....1DX/1DX2 have the best feature in the use of the M-Fn button to switch C-Modes. If you only need to switch between two different sets of settings you can set the camera's mode to C1 and then de-select C3 and C4 (is there a C4? can't remember) in the menu. Then the M-Fn only goes back and forth between those two modes (C1 and C2). You could also say select M mode in camera and only enable C1 and it will only go back and forth between those two.

You can also have the back buttons doing different things in each of the C modes to add even more variety.

And as mentioned, Auto-update is great to have ON.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:05 AM
deone

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

I love the C1-C3 exactly for this reason.
But I have just one reservation: whenever I can I prefer to record to both the CF and SD cards (for backup) but since the SD slot is much slower, this configuration is not suitable for action where I would like to do long and frequent bursts. So I would like: C1: (non-action) record to both, and C3: (action) record only to CF. Unfortunately, the custom modes do not remember this setting...
Has anyone else run into this issue and have any suggestions?

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Good tips called out here. I will be playing with theee suggestions abbot on my 1Dx. Thanks!

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:01 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Mikehit wrote:
I can switch between 2 modes quite easily by assigning button functions. I have the focus point+4 for my normal shooting, but have one of the front buttons for single-point, so if I am shooting bird in flight I run as normal then if it lands in foliage I can press the button with my middle finger and it goes from 1+4 point to single point for more accurate focussing without taking my eye from the VF or my finger off the shutter button.
If you go into the custom controls (p443 of the manual) and assign the AF to
...Show more

Mike, do you have another button set to go back to the primary settings?

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:37 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Changing between two bird photography settings easily?

Not quite sure what you are asking so please excuse me if I am stating the obvious.

For normal shooting I am using manual exposure with 4-point expanded AF and Case 3. But if the birds were to land in a busy environment I assign AF to the DoF button with single-point AF Case 1 (note it no longer does DoF). If the subject stops in a busy environment, I press the DoF button and the single-point AF kicks in - when I release the DoF button it reverts to the 4-point expanded.

Note that I can set as above for birds in flight. Then I could set up Custom 1 for family photography with Av priority,single-point AF for portraits and the DoF button assigned zone AF if the kids suddenly take off.

So those instant changes only take effect while the DoF button is pressed and stop when it is released. For the different configurations I have to change the mode from 'normal' shooting to C1 or C2 etc

This video shows it setting the AF-on button, but I assign it to the DoF button

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:39 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password