Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is tha...

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

It says it was calibrated with Color Analyzer CA310 and Avg Delta E <2.0... Should this be good enough for accurate color?

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:32 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

In my opinion I would say no because of your ambiant lighting for viewing is not the same as it was calibrated for .

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

Color accuracy degrades over time. Your viewing conditions are probably not constant or the same as when calibrated. Factory calibrations are usually not very good at all. All monitors need to be calibrated regularly, and there is no such thing as a 'set it and forget it' factory calibration.

If you care about truly accurate color, or need accurate color across more than one monitor, you will need a monitor with hardware calibration and a 14bit LUT. The easy recommendation is anything from the NEC PA series.

How much it will impact your photography though, only you can answer that.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:36 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

95% of my prints color looks good to me, and I think the other 5% was kind of my fault. Having said that I still want to be as accurate as possible. It's a Dell U2718Q IPS monitor, it's nice. What calibration tool / software would you guys recommend that's pretty accurate and doesn't take for ever to calibrate?

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:18 PM
John Wheeler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

I recommend X-Rite i1Display Pro - Display Calibration

Sep 07, 2017 at 06:21 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

I use this to calibrate my Dell Ultrasharp monitors (older model). One thing to be aware of is that Dell supplied its own version of the software to run the X-Rite. That may or may not still be the case.

John Wheeler wrote:
I recommend X-Rite i1Display Pro - Display Calibration

Sep 07, 2017 at 06:33 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

Are your walls painted a flat gray or white? Are your lights 6500k? If not, your monitor being off from perfect by that small amount is the least of your problems.

Are you a pro? If not, it doesn't matter at all...

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dclark
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

Save yourself a few bucks and get the X-Rite Color Munki Display. It has the same sensor as the i1 Display Pro, just slowed down. It will take a bit longer to profile your display but the results are identical. If you want to move up a bit, get Argyll and DisplayCal (open source, free) and use it with either X-Rite sensor. That will take quite a bit longer and give slightly better results.

You may want to look at:
https://photographylife.com/how-to-calibrate-dell-wide-gamut-monitors
https://photographylife.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor

Unless you are trying to critically manage color to get accurate soft proofs for printing, or managing color for files for display on other calibrated monitors (note; these are different calibrations), you are probably wasting your time.

You have a nice display, enjoy it.

Dave

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:15 AM
ngaio
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

You could get by with the factory calibration and wait for the X-Rite gadget of your choice to come on sale (you can be sure it will) and buy it then. You can save $50 or more that way. The Dell supplied calibration and profiling software provides works quickly and accurately, and is super easy to use, so I think it is well worth buying a device that works with it.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:42 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

agelessphotog wrote:
It says it was calibrated with Color Analyzer CA310 and Avg Delta E <2.0... Should this be good enough for accurate color?

Delta E = 1 is the smallest color difference a person can detect. In theory any dE > 1.0 is noticeable, but it's not quite that simple. The eye can detect differences in some colors more easily than others. In general a monitor dE should be less than 2 or you'll start getting into problems with things like matching print colors in a color managed workflow. I have a NEC monitor that is getting pretty old and I've seen the dE taken after calibration rise over the years, but it's still 2 or less across the entire color gamut. A dE of around 3 means it's time to look for a new monitor. In general you should calibrate a monitor at least once per month if you use it very much, and more often than that if you're doing color matching work.

Sep 08, 2017 at 07:07 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

As soon as I unpacked and setup my UltraSharp 30", I callibrated it with X-Rite Pro.

As mentioned by some responders, the factory callibration needs to be re-done after using the monitor. Over time, given the heat of the monitor, the callibration changes and has to be re-done.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

You will probably be wanting different "calibrations" (or more likely, calibaration and profile combinations) according to colourspace, monitor brightness level, etc. Some of them can be stored in the monitor (I think only two for my monitor) while any number of others can also be used. The internal ones (CAL1, CAL2, etc.) automatically set the screen brightness to match the calibration conditions. The others do not.

Some software will get confused by all of this because the internal Dell settings apply within the monitor electronics and not in the computer graphics card, whereas most software expects the tweaking to be done in the graphics card. Whether or not you use Dell Display Manager will affect what you see on screen sometimes, if not all the time. That is especially true when using non-colour-managed software such as most web browsers and simple photo viewers, but also when using software that changes the graphics card settings while DDM expects it to not do so.

Sep 09, 2017 at 08:43 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

I have read that the calibration provided with the Dell monitors is done with the brightness and contrast settings at midpoint (50). That could well be too bright for photo work - especially if you are trying to assess how it might look on a print.

Read about it at this site...
https://photographylife.com/how-to-calibrate-dell-wide-gamut-monitors

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dell Ultrasharp calibrated out of the box by Dell, is that good enough?

skid00skid00 wrote:
Are your walls painted a flat gray or white? Are your lights 6500k? If not, your monitor being off from perfect by that small amount is the least of your problems.

Are you a pro? If not, it doesn't matter at all...

I remember listening to a podcast with Frederick Van Johnson and Trey Ratcliffe in which they laughed at calibration, saying they'd never calibrated a monitor in their lives.

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:11 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password