Rolling Case
Top Loader
Vest
Other

Your all time favorite camera bag

jiannazzone

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Your all time favorite camera bag

I'm on my second Domke F3X. My first bag (and an Olympus OM-1 kit) was stolen 30 years ago. The "new" bag is still going strong. It holds more than one would expect of a bag its size but not so much to be a burden on my 60+ year old shoulders.

Sep 10, 2017 at 02:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Your all time favorite camera bag

To answer the OP's question, although technically eclipsed the bag that served me best was a simple Lowepro TLZ 75.

Now dead, it has been replaced by a Vanguard Outlaw TLZ.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:51 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Backpacks are just to slow in changing lenses to me, so after some intensive research, I pick the Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 50 Classic because it is top of bag accessible that's really important to be for fast lens changing and it doesn't look like a camera bag and will fit all my gear with ease

A few years ago I bought the UD60. While it held the gear it needed to hold, I found it uncomfortable to use for prolonged periods because of all the weight on one shoulder. This is the tradeoff of larger size - you're likely to carry more stuff. For that amount of gear I'd rather use a backpack and live with the lack of immediate access.

What I've generally done is use a backpack or roller case for transit from A to B, then shoot out of a sling or something like a Shootsac (great as a lens changer for weddings/events). If need be, I can keep the backpack on my back while shooting with a couple cameras and the needed lenses in the Shootsac. Unloaded, the Shootsac is less than an inch thick and can pack it inside the backpack (I adapted a Tom Bihn Western Flyer - great for urban and transit, but would not use it for extended wilderness hikes) or a Pelican roller while in transit.

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:15 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Your all time favorite camera bag

If we are mentioning specific bags, mine would be something from the old Tarmac Extreme 7x7 series backpacks.

EBH

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:26 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Peak Design Sling is my favorite. When I need to carry more gear I prefer a backpack.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Your all time favorite camera bag

rscheffler wrote:
A few years ago I bought the UD60. While it held the gear it needed to hold, I found it uncomfortable to use for prolonged periods because of all the weight on one shoulder. This is the tradeoff of larger size - you're likely to carry more stuff. For that amount of gear I'd rather use a backpack and live with the lack of immediate access.

What I've generally done is use a backpack or roller case for transit from A to B, then shoot out of a sling or something like a Shootsac (great as a lens changer for weddings/events).
...Show more

The Shootsac is $50. more then the same one from Think Tank , don't see why anyone would want to spend more for less of a bag

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Your all time favorite camera bag

The same reason someone buys Leica. Haha.

I also have the Lens Changer 3 bag and the two are totally different. The TT bag is big, bulky and does not squash down to conform well to the side of the body. However, it's great if you want to carry a 70-200, 100-400 and maybe another large diameter, long lens.

I bought the two bags at the same time because I was unsure I'd like the Shootsac (SS). The TT is sitting in the basement, never used.

The strength of the SS is it conforms closely to the body and allows you to weave through throngs of people at events such as wedding receptions without banging into and annoying them and yourself simultaneously. And as mentioned, when fully unpacked it's less than 1" thick and I can pack it inside other bags and cases along with all the gear. Yes, it's pricey for a couple pieces of neoprene sewn together (it's a bit more design than that), but I haven't found anything better for my needs, which IMO is worth the convenience it provides.

Other guys like belt and pouch systems once on-location, which is fine. I'm just not into those, but they do similar things.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:47 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Your all time favorite camera bag

El Cheapo 15 dollar thing from wolf. Maybe it was wallyworld?

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:36 AM
Bobarino

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:

Backpacks are just to slow in changing lenses to me, so after some intensive research, I pick the Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 50 Classic because it is top of bag accessible that's really important to be for fast lens changing and it doesn't look like a camera bag and will fit all my gear with ease

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/1414447539000_1087438.jpg

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/1478462428000_IMG_703135.jpg

I made basically the same choice, different model though; the Urban Disguise 60 V3.0, primarily for the wide-mouth top-access, and, it was deep enough for my Nikkor 200-500/f;5.6, plus my 70-200/f;2,8 attached to my bodies (D810/D500). ThinkTank also sells a back-pack conversion harness for this bag, so that may make it a bit more flexible after a long days' hike. I think the harness is around $55. CDN ( $44.U.S.) I've also always liked the LowePro Magnum bags. (Kinda like a big padded tool-box with a shoulder-strap.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:53 AM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Your all time favorite camera bag

lowepro flipside 400 - For road trips and around my area

Incase Pro DSLR Backpack - for air travel, has more room for other electronics and my laptop

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Bobarino wrote:
I made basically the same choice, different model though; the Urban Disguise 60 V3.0, primarily for the wide-mouth top-access, and, it was deep enough for my Nikkor 200-500/f;5.6, plus my 70-200/f;2,8 attached to my bodies (D810/D500). ThinkTank also sells a back-pack conversion harness for this bag, so that may make it a bit more flexible after a long days' hike. I think the harness is around $55. CDN ( $44.U.S.) I've also always liked the LowePro Magnum bags. (Kinda like a big padded tool-box with a shoulder-strap.

I'm selling my LowePro Magnum 200 with it just a bit big, considered the Urban Disguise 60 but
felt I would be right back where I was with the size of the LowePro Magnum 200 and why I settled on the Urban Disguise 50

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:15 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Your all time favorite camera bag

TT Glass Taxi

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:39 PM
GiovanniAprea
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Of all the bags I got the best is no doubt the Domke F3, small but so very capable, it outperforms all of the other bags I ever got and doesn't scream "camera gear" at all, if it wasn't for shoulder problems I would have got another and another and another and...

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:43 PM
Kenneth Ho

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Your all time favorite camera bag

TT Shape Shifter has been a personal favorite for many many years now. Not perfect and certainly a niche product that isn't for everyone though...

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:09 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Chestvest (convertible) for me. I've also been using the Lowepro Orion Trekker backpack on an off for the last eleven years, but more as a general travel pack only ever since I got the Newswear Digital Chestvest (and the Medium chestvest before that, until I got a Canon 1D series body that did not fit physically).

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:20 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Snopchenko wrote:
Chestvest (convertible) for me. I've also been using the Lowepro Orion Trekker backpack on an off for the last eleven years, but more as a general travel pack only ever since I got the Newswear Digital Chestvest (and the Medium chestvest before that, until I got a Canon 1D series body that did not fit physically).

The way our government is so paranoid of homeland security issues the Newswear Digital Chestvest although very practical would be the last thing I would where in the public, expecting to be hassled, but a great get-to-lens set up

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
The way our government is so paranoid of homeland security issues the Newswear Digital Chestvest although very practical would be the last thing I would where in the public, expecting to be hassled, but a great get-to-lens set up

Haha it's true - even around here I was asked once if I was a terrorist while wearing it, though not by a law enforcement person (but it was before the subway bombing in April). But since I'm only really donning it that way when shooting highly dynamic events, or out in the wild where you don't have anyone around to play paranoid, I'm doing fine. Most of the time I'm using it as a shoulder bag, although 4 compartments may not always be enough (if I'm carrying more than two lenses, I have to get "creative" with cramming a lens, a voice recorder, a notepad, all the pens and cables into just one slot). But it's no big deal and I'm going to use mine until it bursts at the seams.

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Your all time favorite camera bag

It's Domke - or Domke - for me.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:23 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Pavel wrote:
It's Domke - or Domke - for me.

Yea, to bad there tightwads when it comes to extra divers with every bag

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Yea, to bad there tightwads when it comes to extra divers with every bag

I have so many dividers that it's not a factor, but what I like about the Domke bags is that they feel fluid compared to more structured bags when walking and I should have mentioned that my preferences run towards the waxed cotton they sell, which some don't like and I find their straps to be good due to the "gripper" material they incorporate. I don't care for the metal clasps on the other hand and now that Tiffen owns Domke I wonder if Tiffen "get" it. They can't even design a proper site it seems and that makes me kind of sad.

I also have some ThinkTank Skins products that I think are fantastic, so I should have said: Domke or Domke or ThinkTank.

I just want thin light unstructured bags with little or no padding. But I think I'm in the minority on that padding stuff.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:43 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password