New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your all time favorite camera bag

It seems we all need more then one camera bag, I have a shoulder bag I use the most, then a top loader for fast on the go use and a belt pack for events.
I'm searching for a new bag that works as a shoulder bag and waist bag at the same time similar to Think Tanks Speed Freak but there Sling bag looks intriguing also
Your input welcome on your all time favorite bag
Thanks

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:10 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Ah Other, what the hell dose other look like

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Backpack for convenience and security when traveling - everything is in the same place.

Holsters when poking about locally - on the motorbike or local transport - traveling light.

Belts and modular when at an event like MMA or a concert.

Messenger as my daily work bag with a 6D in it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:15 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
It seems we all need more then one camera bag, I have a shoulder bag I use the most, then a top loader for fast on the go use and a belt pack for events.
I'm searching for a new bag that works as a shoulder bag and waist bag at the same time similar to Think Tanks Speed Freak but there Sling bag looks intriguing also
Your input welcome on your all time favorite bag
Thanks

Although I read the specs, it looks like it might fit a 1DX/D5 too.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:19 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your all time favorite camera bag

I should have known to add "other"that's completely useless

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:37 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your all time favorite camera bag

For airline travel and hikes I like my F-Stop Loka.
For a medium size kit (A7ii, 16-35, 55, tele, extras, small tripod) I like my Peak Design Sling.
For my tiniest kit with (A7 and 3 rangefinder lenses, extra battery) I like my Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney.

Sep 07, 2017 at 10:05 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Backpack all the way, landscapes and travel. Allows my hands free for other things.g

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:00 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your all time favorite camera bag

There is no, alas, one carry system to rule them all for me, any more than I can name a (single) favorite food or book. But, depending on application, some contenders rise to the top ...

(1) Best compromise/balance between accessibility and comfort: backpack. Hands down. Especially for landscapes and the more complex macros, where, I always unencumber myself to "work" the camera anyway, so the accessibility compromise is not an issue. For pure photography, half a day or less from camp/hotel/home: LowePro NatureTrekker or MiniTrekker. For long trips: f-stop Satori. For multi-day mixed hiking/photography: ICU's in hiking backpack.

(2) Best no-compromise optimizing BOTH accessibility and comfort when carrying long-ish lenses (BUT at the cost of looking really geeky, which is not a problem in the wilderness, but might be otherwise, and, since you do not look just geeky but might actually be mistake for para-military geeky, it may get you more that funny looks in particularly paranoid areas): Cotton Carrier + photo vest.

(3) Family/friends/casual travel: Sling (Luma Loop? SunSniper) and/or: generally combo shoulder/hip bag (ThinkTank SpeedFreak), but nowadays, the baby stroller seems to be the primary go-to option ...

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:22 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your all time favorite camera bag

For a small day hiking bag, I like the Mountain Smith Day with the strappets.
I can carry things like a backpack. If I want quick access, I simply have the belt unsnapped and sling it around. The shoulder strap stays in the bag. Very versatile.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:28 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I should have known to add "other"that's completely useless

I've used a shopping-tote bag for many years. I wrap the camera in a hoodie, with a mounted prime, and place it in the bag. No-one thinks I'm a photographer, with expensive gear, so no-one is interested in stealing my shopping-tote

And you can remove the camera with little hassle

Back in the 1950s or '60 there was a famous NY photographer who used a Macy's shopping bag to carry his gear during bus/subway rides

Today, with cargo shorts, I don't even need the tote bag for anything other than a DSLR

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:44 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Although backpacks leave your hands free for taking pictures, my gripe was having to stop, take the pack off to make a lens change
I tried the Mind Shift Backlight 26L where you swing the pack in front of you for a lens change but having a camera or 2 on doing this was a mess to me.
A shoulder bag where the lid opens away from me still seems to be the best way
Think Tanks belt modular system is better then Lowepro's because of the design is easier to swing a lens bag around in front verse loosening the belt and twisting it around
Still the Think Tank Speed Racer may be my next purchase

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Tough question.

Having used a sling for many years, or rather, having owned one but not used it all that much due to lack of space for other things then camera gear.

A normal backpack when hiking/walking in nature, adding cameras inside the pack with the other stuff, still working on a good solution for this.

City walking, Wotancraft Scout shoulder bag, not the lightest but built like a tank in canvas and military grade materials, I love it.

The one I am using most now though is a hard case with modular foam cut out after the equipment. Waterproof, it floats, crushproof (can park a car on it, or one wheel at least).

This one: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71EpJTeDG6L._SY450_.jpg

The hard case is nice because the equipment is easy to see, easy to reach and the case is easy to open and close. It's a bit more difficult on hikes, I've had i strapped outside a backpack and it worked fine, not sure how the weight distribution would work over multiple day hikes though.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:07 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Wilbus wrote:
Tough question.

Having used a sling for many years, or rather, having owned one but not used it all that much due to lack of space for other things then camera gear.

A normal backpack when hiking/walking in nature, adding cameras inside the pack with the other stuff, still working on a good solution for this.

City walking, Wotancraft Scout shoulder bag, not the lightest but built like a tank in canvas and military grade materials, I love it.

The one I am using most now though is a hard case with modular foam cut out after the equipment. Waterproof, it
...Show more

The Wotancraft Scout shoulder bag has a lot of character like and old face of an fisherman after years of working the sea

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:43 PM
josh paris
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
The Wotancraft Scout shoulder bag has a lot of character like and old face of an fisherman after years of working the sea

Sounds like something like the Mindshift product line would be a perfect fit for what you looking for; like this:
https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-panorama

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your all time favorite camera bag

PrecisionPhoto wrote:

It's amazing and yes with a lot of character. Your description is spot on. I love the looks of it, and it will only look better and better with time. Add to that the highly durable waterproof interior and it's a winning combo!

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:42 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your all time favorite camera bag

josh paris wrote:
Sounds like something like the Mindshift product line would be a perfect fit for what you looking for; like this:
https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-panorama

Thanks for the link! I looked at one here in Sweden, but their largest version rather then the 22 liter you linked. Problem was, I deemed it too small for multi day hikes, even for one night I couldn't fit tarp, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, food, heater for food and a layer of thin warm clothes. I might have to have a look at it again but for one night or 1-3 nights even I need something that will swallow 50-60 liters, minimal. Their largest is 38l which is perfect for a day trip. Camera gear at the bottom, food, water, kitchen and a small down jacket up top (I live in Sweden, down jackets are even better the sliced bread).

But like I said, I might have to look at it again and maybe get a new, small, sleeping bag

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:49 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your all time favorite camera bag

I love my FStop Tilopa... If you can get an order in when their stock is high, you will get one of the best designed camera packs out there. Depending on the ICU you use, you can pack a few nights clothes and a tent with your bag. On the other hand, if you travel with a big kit (up to 500mm lens), then the bag is compact enough to fit in most overhead bins.

bruce

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:45 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your all time favorite camera bag

Backpacks are just to slow in changing lenses to me, so after some intensive research, I pick the Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 50 Classic because it is top of bag accessible that's really important to be for fast lens changing and it doesn't look like a camera bag and will fit all my gear with ease

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/1414447539000_1087438.jpg

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/1478462428000_IMG_703135.jpg

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:15 PM
KyleSchroeder
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your all time favorite camera bag

I use an Osprey Kestrel 48 backpacking backpack with Tenba BYOB 13 or Tenba BYOB 10 inside it. The Osprey is very lightweight, has great support and weight distribution, has a back that allows your back to breathe and not sweat through after 5 minutes, is waterproof, and has a spot for a 3-liter hydration pack. Great for landscape/nature photography and hiking on the trails in doing so.

I use either the Tenba BYOB 13 or 10 depending on how much gear I am taking with me for the shoot. Still have room in the backpack for hiking supplies, as well.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your all time favorite camera bag

With all my shoulder bags I attach a 2" wide nylon webbing belt to help support the weight and minimize swinging around and when traveling in Europe to minimize a grab and run. All have a flap to cover the main compartment in addition to a zipper closure and this makes it easy to get inside the main compartment and minimize exposing gear to the elements.

Favorites have been the LowePro Stealth Reporter series though only their 650 model comes with a waist belt. With the others I craft my own setup and have belt loops sewn on by a shoe repair shop. The AW400 is a good size for hauling around 2 cameras, a 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200mm, and one or two speedlights. The two outside pockets are protected under the flap and I put a speedlight in one pocket and my filter wallets in the other pocket.

For urban settings a should bag is far superior to a backpack but for outdoor shooting I greatly prefer a backpack and have 4 different sizes of the Gura Gear backpacks in addition to my three shoulder bags and a waist bag (LowePro Sideline Shooter).

Gura Gear used to make the best backpacks but I have been very unimpressed with the Tamrac backpacks that they are not producing which are not sized well for air travel as well as being unnecessarily heavy when empty.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:21 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.