Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              43      
       45              47       48       end

Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ...

brian_sp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.44 #1 · p.44 #1 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

unusual visitors in town monday, some of the 425 Tactical Fighter Squadron "Alouettes", usually only see the 410 Squadron

got to the airport just in time to see this unusual visitor departing

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.44 #2 · p.44 #2 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I'd not want to live in the house shown near the runway!

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:29 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.44 #3 · p.44 #3 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

davewolfs wrote:
Can auto tuning be used or is it trial and error between focusing snd setting the amount of tuning and verifying that the green dot is on?

You cannot auto fine tune with the Fotodiox adapter. With the 50 Cron R there is no adjustment required as the focus spot is very accurate through the OVF. I suspect when I receive the Leitax version of the adapter with the chip, I will be able to fine tune AF if I need to. The Fotodiox adapter cost only 29 USD and it excellent in quality and tolerance.

I will be looking for another couple R lenses now

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:40 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.44 #4 · p.44 #4 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I received my D850 last night and had grand plans for shooting this morning. However, The Great Swamp was closed for deer hunting/culling and so next best option was the local zoo. It's always a challenge trying to make zoo shots look un-zoolike and also to blur out the wire cages. I shot these with the 300 f4 with 1.4tc 1/125 5.6. I want to try out the 200-500mm on it tomorrow to see if it marries well before considering a long and very expensive prime. The detail is outstanding and color rendition just wonderful...after shooting Canon for at least the last 25 years it's been an interesting transition.
Eric

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:43 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.44 #5 · p.44 #5 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

suteetat wrote:
Charles, I assume that using adapter, you cannot fine tune focus, is that correct? I also find that I need to fine tune all my Otus lenses and a few Zeiss ZF.2 that I have as well for the dot focus to be spot on. Strange enough, my Noct Nikkor is the only one that is the closest to being spot on without any fine tuning for the spot focus and luckily the only manual lens that is a non CPU lens that I cannot fine tune with my D850 anyhow.

With the Fotodiox adapter I don't seem to be able to fine tune AF but there is no need to. I suspect once I receive the Leitax adapter I will be able to, but there is no need to change the adapter and I may keep this for another R lens You can also change the default fine tune AF separately and this should work. This is an adjustment that is about 2.5 more than the normal fine tune AF adjustment. I have yet to try the 50 Cron R with the SB 5000 flash system setup. According to the Nikon manual with non CPU lenses it is possible to use the flash system, so long as the lens has been setup in the non CPU lens menu specifying the FL and f stop.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:47 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.44 #6 · p.44 #6 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Congratulation! Charles. Be careful about R lens it is a dangerous slop

Yeh, if you enjoy shoooting manual lens, there is no SLR body better than D850 right now. I can rely on its confirmation dot if I choose to, though lots of time I just prefer eyeball focus through OVF directly.

Charles, I remebered with non-CPU lens, you canít even change it with that Ďdefaultí setting, camera will not take it. I am pretty sure D810/DF doesnít take it, but not remember I tried with D850. Anyway, it seems all my manual lenses are spot on with focus confirmation, even OTUS(I report need fine tune early, must be some errors from my setup) seems OK.

Again, I have said so many times that D850 significantly improve focus confirmation than all other NIkon, it seems not many people take that seriously.

charles.K wrote:
With the Fotodiox adapter I don't seem to be able to fine tune AF but there is no need to. I suspect once I receive the Leitax adapter I will be able to, but there is no need to change the adapter and I may keep this for another R lens You can also change the default fine tune AF separately and this should work. This is an adjustment that is about 2.5 more than the normal fine tune AF adjustment. I have yet to try the 50 Cron R with the SB 5000 flash system setup. According to
...Show more

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:59 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.44 #7 · p.44 #7 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

zhangyue wrote:
Congratulation! Charles. Be careful about R lens it is a dangerous slop

Yeh, if you enjoy shoooting manual lens, there is no SLR body better than D850 right now. I can rely on its confirmation dot if I choose to, though lots of time I just prefer eyeball focus through OVF directly.

Charles, I remebered with non-CPU lens, you canít even change it with that Ďdefaultí setting, camera will not take it. I am pretty sure D810/DF doesnít take it, but not remember I tried with D850. Anyway, it seems all my manual lenses are spot on with focus confirmation, even
...Show more

Yes the Leica R lens slope is very slippery The D850 focus dot confirmation is razor sharp and accurate. I did not have this before with the D810. I have not tried yet on the D750.

The Leica R lenses are an excellent option as they are cost effective and the R lenses seem to gel with sensors a lot better than trying to compromise with M mounts.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:09 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.44 #8 · p.44 #8 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

You guys are going to get me in trouble. I need to find a dealer with a liberal return policy.

My experience with green dot has been with the D200, D300 and D700 - all have been terrible.

If I am interpreting this correctly it sounds like one could comepltely ignore what they see in VF and assume that the dot is correct?

If that is the case then this might be a good option. My vision is not so great so when focusing with EVF on the Sony I count on zooming in to confirm.

With this I would just make my composition and if light is green Iím good to go.
charles.K wrote:
Yes the Leica R lens slope is very slippery The D850 focus dot confirmation is razor sharp and accurate. I did not have this before with the D810. I have not tried yet on the D750.

The Leica R lenses are an excellent option as they are cost effective and the R lenses seem to gel with sensors a lot better than trying to compromise with M mounts.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:19 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.44 #9 · p.44 #9 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

charles.K wrote:

I still can make it work on older nikon body even their confirmation window is wide. With CPU lens, you can purposely fine tune focus one way or the other so depend on your focus habit (going from MFD to infinity or from infinity to MFD) whenever, confirmation light on, you will get focusing correct.
With non cpu lens like R, since you can't fine tune it, you just need figure out how each lens perform, some achieve focus right after dot become solid from MFD to infinity, some achieve focus right after dot become solid from infinity to MFD.

Anyway, I like this better than peaking personally and feel it is also more reliable than peaking even with old body not to mention with nice improvement D850 has.

At least a pic with D850

Tamron 15-30

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:56 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.44 #10 · p.44 #10 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

davewolfs wrote:
You guys are going to get me in trouble. I need to find a dealer with a liberal return policy.

My experience with green dot has been with the D200, D300 and D700 - all have been terrible.

If I am interpreting this correctly it sounds like one could comepltely ignore what they see in VF and assume that the dot is correct?

If that is the case then this might be a good option. My vision is not so great so when focusing with EVF on the Sony I count on zooming in to confirm.

With this I would just
...Show more

Yeh, you just need find a dealer test it out. You know me. I can't stand EVF at least until now. Hit magnification is not a right way for me for most photography cases. For the case I have time to hit that magnification, I sure can use any current SLR with LV.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.44 #11 · p.44 #11 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

If you can swing using the back screen peaking is awesome.
davewolfs wrote:

With this I would just
...Show more

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:02 AM
gpelpel
• •
p.44 #12 · p.44 #12 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

A few from last month trip to the Eastern Sierra.

D850 w/ AF-S 70-200mm f/4G, ISO 64

D850 w/ AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G: Composite of 10 portrait images (2 rows), ISO 3200

D850 w/ AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G, ISO 6400

D850 w/ AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G, ISO 5000

D850 w/ AF 16mm f/2.8D, ISO 64

D850 w/ AF-S 300mm f/4G PF, ISO 64

Edited on Nov 10, 2017 at 01:09 AM · View previous versions

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:05 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.44 #13 · p.44 #13 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

gpelpel, awesome shots !!!

Michael, first eluded to the fact that the D850 focus confirmation dot was very accurate and fast. I have never relied on it with Canon so the D850 is the first time I commenced using it again. It is accurate and responsive and does not require any fine tune AF adjustment with my 50 Cron R with Fotodiox adapter. It is just simple and works. I have it set up in my function 1 button that I bring up non CPU No: 1 and this is all that is needed. I am sure I could make more sophisticated but no need, just keep it simple when I need it.

In my custom settings bank, B I set to Manual Focus so with LV I have two options of 50% or 100% view. Otherwise I use bank A, set to reset focus point for normal AF lenses.

The focus peaking also works on the LV in magnified mode when you need it. Focus peaking at normal viewing is fast way to focus accurately also.

I do prefer using the Leica R lenses on the D850 more so than on the A7rII. It works easier for my style of photography.

davewolfs wrote:

With this I would just
...Show more

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:07 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.44 #14 · p.44 #14 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

gpelpel wrote:

http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-1.jpg

D850 w/ AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G: Composite of 10 portrait images (2 rows), ISO 3200
http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-2.jpg

D850 w/ AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G, ISO 6400
http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-3.jpg

D850 w/ AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G, ISO 5000
http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-4.jpg

D850 w/ AF 16mm f/2.8D, ISO 64
http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-5.jpg

D850 w/ AF-S 300mm f/4G PF, ISO 64
http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-6.jpg

http://logisoftinc.com/photos/2017/2017%20Eastern%20Sierra~Georges%20Pelpel-7.jpg

The first one just gorgeous. A winner, You get a real great light and a beautifully processed image.
---------------------------------------------

charles.K wrote:
gpelpel, awesome shots !!!

Michael, first eluded to the fact that the D850 focus confirmation dot was very accurate and fast. I have never relied on it with Canon so the D850 is the first time I commenced using it again. It is accurate and responsive and does not require any fine tune AF adjustment with my 50 Cron R with Fotodiox adapter. It is just simple and works. I have it set up in my function 1 button that I bring up non CPU No: 1 and this is all that is needed. I am sure I could make more
...Show more

Fully agree. Never enjoy adapt big lens on Sony. not even M for different reason.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:16 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.44 #15 · p.44 #15 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Amazing shots everyone !!!

zhangyue wrote:
I still can make it work on older nikon body even their confirmation window is wide. With CPU lens, you can purposely fine tune focus one way or the other so depend on your focus habit (going from MFD to infinity or from infinity to MFD) whenever, confirmation light on, you will get focusing correct.
With non cpu lens like R, since you can't fine tune it, you just need figure out how each lens perform, some achieve focus right after dot become solid from MFD to infinity, some achieve focus right after dot become solid from infinity to MFD.
...Show more

Michael, awesome shot !!!

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:24 AM
nuclearjock
• •
p.44 #16 · p.44 #16 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

gpelpel wrote:

Very very very nice !!!

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:48 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.44 #17 · p.44 #17 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

My down button as noted in blue seems "squishy"... any one else notice this? The other three directions have a click to them. Should I just bare with it and have it repaired when I send the camera in in a few months?.. am I OCD or would that bug you too.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:32 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.44 #18 · p.44 #18 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

There is a minor difference on the vertical down but barely noticeable.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:38 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.44 #19 · p.44 #19 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Not if you're OCD 😬🤦🏼‍♂️

charles.K wrote:
There is a minor difference on the vertical down but barely noticeable.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:46 AM
gpelpel
• •
p.44 #20 · p.44 #20 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Blakehfreeman wrote:
My down button as noted in blue seems "squishy"... any one else notice this? The other three directions have a click to them. Should I just bare with it and have it repaired when I send the camera in in a few months?.. am I OCD or would that bug you too.

Mine is "squishy" on the left side. The other three directions have a click to them.

PS: I am not making fun of Blakehfreeman. This is real. Checked the D750, no "squish".

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:47 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password