Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              42      
       44              201       202       end

Archive 2017 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ...

suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.43 #1 · p.43 #1 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Just got back from my scuba trip. Luckily Nauticam managed to roll out D850 housing just in time for my trip.

hawkfish by Suteetat S, on Flickr
With 105/2.8 macro, required quite a bit of cropping here.

banda2 by Suteetat S, on Flickr
With 16-35/4, available light, WB was calibrated against my white fins which worked very well up to about 10-12m. Make life a lot easier in post.

fish by Suteetat S, on Flickr
16-35/4@16mm

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:56 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.43 #2 · p.43 #2 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Love Zeiss but the difficulty to hit focus when shooting without a tripod and live view can be extremely aggravating for these old eyes.

Todd wrote:
ZEISS!!! Love my Milvus 50mm f/1.4.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.43 #3 · p.43 #3 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

In the bush we call them creeks. There doesn't need to be much water flowing for it to be called a river. The outback is desert or semi desert country, away from the coast and civilisation.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:34 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.43 #4 · p.43 #4 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Have you tried using peaking?.. I received my camera today and FINALLY having peaking in live view is a revelation. [Peaking turns the portion of your image thats in focus red so you can achieve accurate focus]

davewolfs wrote:
Love Zeiss but the difficulty to hit focus when shooting without a tripod and live view can be extremely aggravating for these old eyes.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:39 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.43 #5 · p.43 #5 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Have you tried using peaking?.. I received my camera today and FINALLY having peaking in live view is a revelation. [Peaking turns the portion of your image thats in focus red so you can achieve accurate focus]

Yes I use peaking or focus maginification on my Sony. Peaking is good but again hard to use if not in viewfinder (unless shooting from Tripod).

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:07 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.43 #6 · p.43 #6 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I actually prefer using it on the rear screen but to each his own... and I must admit holding the 200mm 2.0 at arms length is no bueno!

Happy shooting

davewolfs wrote:
Yes I use peaking or focus maginification on my Sony. Peaking is good but again hard to use if not in viewfinder (unless shooting from Tripod).

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:14 PM
4mpx
• • •
p.43 #7 · p.43 #7 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

For fast moving and unpredictable subject, like this juvenile Peregrine Falcon, I find the AF-C & Auto setting works much better than other AF modes.

D850, 600/4G VR, f/4, 12800 ISO, hand held.
http://a4.pbase.com/o10/23/1148723/1/166514961.E1m9tpQ1._D8Z6320r7.jpg

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 08:20 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:36 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.43 #8 · p.43 #8 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

bs kite wrote:
Question: Who knows enough about this Nikon 24 1.8 G to comment on it?

Or, if you choose, what wide angle would you recommend for this D850?

Seattleducks posted a shot of a brook (or creek for you Southern boys). What do you blokes call a small stream in the Australian woods (or outback?). Lance B, Charles.K ?

Here is the shot (Wow!):

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/99/1545899.jpg

The shot floored me. I love these scenes. Grew with them, as a young man cruising the Maine woods. I know brooks that look just about like this one cold, wet fall days. And it's a big reason I
...Show more

In Australia, we would refer to as a "creek" and if it was flowing more during the wet season, then a river. Often it is a fine line between a fast running river and a flood It is a superb shot. The Australian bush is very harsh in comparison and there tends to be a lot of undergrowth and often it is hard to compose a "nice" shot. Australian scenes are very rugged, harsh lighting generally. Whereas in our rain forest the creeks, streams and rivers are just stunning!

The D850 for seascapes/landscapes has also floored me, particularly at 64 ISO. I have not posted that many of those shots and many of friends are also finding the wow factor with D850. In the end I don't care whether there other brands now as we can chase our tails in circles.

I recently purchased the 24/1.8G. This lens is meant to be superb in sharpness and right up there with the best of them. My copy was not a good copy and had a lot of CA even at f/5.6 so I sent it back. I still have my 24 Art which is superb for street photography and landscapes. I was just hoping for a lighter street lens but I just lost interest and I did not want to try another few copies. WA lenses are a very personal choice. Some just love the UWA and some prefer less extreme WA lenses. It is best to try out a few UWA lenses first and see which FL suits.

The 20/1.8G is a great WA, light and great IQ. This may be a great first choice.

As mentioned I love the 14-24/f2.8 . There are many to choose from, 12-24/f4 Art, Tamron 15-30, 16-35/f4G, 17-35/2.8G just naming a few or a whole range of primes. There is good reasons why the 14-24/f2.8 has been a workhorse for so long. I am waiting for a 16-35/2.8E

Personally I have had primes and I find an excellent UWA zoom will cover a lot of ground. I found with UWA primes I would be often limited in my shots when the scene changed and I would have to swap lenses. Each to their own.

In terms of absolute IQ the 14 and 20 Art lenses are stunning!

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 10:14 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.43 #9 · p.43 #9 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

charles.K wrote:
I would appreciate anyone here that has experience in setting up non-CPU lenses manual lenses on the D850. I have a lens saved specified the FL 50mm and max aperature of f/2 for the 50 Cron R as lens No. 1 that will be arriving. Apparently there is a funtion 1, that can find this lens via the dial but I cannot set it up on the D850. This menu is not visible and does not seem to exist, but it is clearly stated in the manual.

I found it. It is in F1 in the menus, custom control assignment. You can change the function of the F1+wheel from choosing the image area to instead cycle through non-cpu lenses you have set.

I have 3 non-cpu lenses setup so far and have changed this setting to successfully cycle through them. Nice feature, I wonder if my old D800 had this as I always hated drilling into the menus to change which non-cpu lens was on.

edit: its under f4 on the D800. Clearly I should have read the manual at some point, what a nice feature.

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.43 #10 · p.43 #10 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

First real image with my camera (literally two steps out of my office before I got in my car)... be gentle... just a silly snap but stoked to finally be able to contribute! FYI: Yes processed... bumped the contrast for giggles...

As an aside, received an email that RRS is recalling their L bracket for the D850.. looks like the markings are off... super annoying.

Nikon D850 with Nikon 105mm 1.4E

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:15 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.43 #11 · p.43 #11 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

charles.K wrote:
In Australia, we would refer to that a "creek" and if it was flowing more during the wet season, then a river It is a superb shot. The Australian bush is very harsh in comparison and there tends to be a lot of undergrowth and often it is hard to compose a "nice" shot. Australian scenes are very rugged, harsh lighting generally. Whereas in our rain forest the creeks, streams and rivers are just stunning!

The D850 for seascapes/landscapes has also flooring me, particularly at 64 ISO. I have not posted that many of those shots and many of friends
...Show more

Thank you for taking time to explain that Charles.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:34 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.43 #12 · p.43 #12 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Vcook wrote:
I found it. It is in F1 in the menus, custom control assignment. You can change the function of the F1+wheel from choosing the image area to instead cycle through non-cpu lenses you have set.

I have 3 non-cpu lenses setup so far and have changed this setting to successfully cycle through them. Nice feature, I wonder if my old D800 had this as I always hated drilling into the menus to change which non-cpu lens was on.

edit: its under f4 on the D800. Clearly I should have read the manual at some point, what a nice feature.

Thank you Chris I also finally found it in the menu. At first when I was looking it was on the first page and I did not think to scroll up the page. Obvious but not so I have just received my 50 Cron R (Mandler) 1984. Tomorrow I should receive my Fotodiox leica R to Nikon F adapter plate so it should be fun. Also I have a Leitax adapters coming too but they will arrive in another week or two. I have loved all the Mandler designed lenses and I look forward to seeing how the 50 Cron R works on the D850 sensor.

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 11:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:45 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.43 #13 · p.43 #13 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Blakehfreeman wrote:
First real image with my camera (literally two steps out of my office before I got in my car)... be gentle... just a silly snap but stoked to finally be able to contribute! FYI: Yes processed... bumped the contrast for giggles...

As an aside, received an email that RRS is recalling their L bracket for the D850.. looks like the markings are off... super annoying.

Nikon D850 with Nikon 105mm 1.4E

Congrats

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:48 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.43 #14 · p.43 #14 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Finally the Fotodiox Leica R adapter to Nikon arrived this afternoon. Fortunately I had the right tools so it about 15 minutes to replace the new mount on the 50 Cron R. It feels excellent and the MF is fast and accurate through the OVF with confirmation AF dot correct. Also in LV with focus peaking it is very easy to focus fast and accurately. Fortunately it is a f/2 so there is probably more DOF leeway than a f/1.0 or 1.4 lens.

Few shots this afternoon at the office. The 50 Cron R on the D850 has all the character of the Mandler lens which I am really pleased. The other feature I love with Mandler lenses is the unusual rendering profile as it lends wonderfully to B&W conversions.

The 50 Cron R is incredibly sharp, even at f/2 as I have attached a 100% crop.

50 Cron R Mandler

50 Cron R Mandler

50 Corn R Mandler 100% Crop

50 Cron R Mandler

50 Cron R Mandler

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:02 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.43 #15 · p.43 #15 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

More shots in the evening in low light with 50 Cron R

50 Cron R Mandler

50 Cron R Mandler

50 Corn R Mandler

50 Cron R Mandler

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:56 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.43 #16 · p.43 #16 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Very nice. I’d like to know if you end up finding the green dot focusing accurate or if you decide to use live view.

charles.K wrote:
Thank you Chris I also finally found it in the menu. At first when I was looking it was on the first page and I did not think to scroll up the page. Obvious but not so I have just received my 50 Cron R (Mandler) 1984. Tomorrow I should receive my Fotodiox leica R to Nikon F adapter plate so it should be fun. Also I have a Leitax adapters coming too but they will arrive in another week or two. I have loved all the Mandler designed lenses and I look forward to seeing how the
...Show more

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:19 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.43 #17 · p.43 #17 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Thank you Dave The dot focusing in the OVF is very accurate and fast. Surprisingly the 50 Cron R has a narrow DOF even at f/2 so getting the eye brows razor sharp is quite easy. Also the LV is superb, with focus peaking, or I just use 50% magnification view, depending on the subject.

davewolfs wrote:
Very nice. I’d like to know if you end up finding the green dot focusing accurate or if you decide to use live view.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:24 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.43 #18 · p.43 #18 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Charles, I assume that using adapter, you cannot fine tune focus, is that correct? I also find that I need to fine tune all my Otus lenses and a few Zeiss ZF.2 that I have as well for the dot focus to be spot on. Strange enough, my Noct Nikkor is the only one that is the closest to being spot on without any fine tuning for the spot focus and luckily the only manual lens that is a non CPU lens that I cannot fine tune with my D850 anyhow.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:24 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.43 #19 · p.43 #19 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

suteetat wrote:
Charles, I assume that using adapter, you cannot fine tune focus, is that correct? I also find that I need to fine tune all my Otus lenses and a few Zeiss ZF.2 that I have as well for the dot focus to be spot on. Strange enough, my Noct Nikkor is the only one that is the closest to being spot on without any fine tuning for the spot focus and luckily the only manual lens that is a non CPU lens that I cannot fine tune with my D850 anyhow.

Can auto tuning be used or is it trial and error between focusing snd setting the amount of tuning and verifying that the green dot is on?

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.43 #20 · p.43 #20 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

PSA:

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.