Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              26      
       28              201       202       end

Archive 2017 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ...

TimMunsey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.27 #1 · p.27 #1 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

reggieb wrote:
The AF is really solid, Matt Granger definitely did it wrong.

Can you tell me which AF mode you used, are these with 3D tracking?

Thanks

Tim

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:43 AM
reggieb
• •
p.27 #2 · p.27 #2 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

TimMunsey wrote:
Can you tell me which AF mode you used, are these with 3D tracking?

Thanks

Tim

Group mainly, tried dynamic a bit as well. Both worked great, I'm not a huge fan of 3D.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:53 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.27 #3 · p.27 #3 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

that last one is fantastic. great job.

Dj R wrote:
Courtney & Nick.....

recently engaged
these were shot yesterday in Ship Bottom and Barnegate, NJ
got very lucky with the weather.
shooting their wedding next year
they were a pleasure to work with, so I'm really looking forward to the big show.

not interested in the dng convert!
so, still sharing with y'all via JPG!

all over the place with my edits here, sorry.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:02 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.27 #4 · p.27 #4 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Shot later this afternoon
70-200E FL

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:48 AM
sc_john
• •
p.27 #5 · p.27 #5 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Question regarding WA and UWA lenses on D850... What are you using and what is your experience with the performance of these lenses with the D850 sensor? My kit is finalized above 50mm, but need to add WA and UWA. Thanks in advance for comments/opinions.

John

Oct 02, 2017 at 08:07 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.27 #6 · p.27 #6 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I usually shoot in neutral mode, but since LR doesn’t have raw support yet, I suggest standard or portrait mode. You can always boost contrast and saturation on a jpeg. But I think white balance plays more of a role than the mode itself. I like auto 0 but auto 1 will also be good. If you’re shooting in open shade, I would change the white balance to cloudy or to shade and see what you get from there. Because in shade there is a lot of blue light that you have to compensate for. Hopefully others will chime in and offer their suggestions as well. I’m surprised they haven’t already.

js426 wrote:
Any recommendation for JPG portrait settings ? Default setting is a bit dull.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:01 AM
reggieb
• •
p.27 #7 · p.27 #7 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Todd wrote:
I usually shoot in neutral mode, but since LR doesn’t have raw support yet, I suggest standard or portrait mode. You can always boost contrast and saturation on a jpeg. But I think white balance plays more of a role than the mode itself. I like auto 0 but auto 1 will also be good. If you’re shooting in open shade, I would change the white balance to cloudy or to shade and see what you get from there. Because in shade there is a lot of blue light that you have to compensate for. Hopefully others will chime in
...Show more

You could just convert the RAWs to DNG for use in Lightroom.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.27 #8 · p.27 #8 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I heard that takes a long time to do. I’m currently using capture NX-D then doing more to the jpeg in LR

reggieb wrote:

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.27 #9 · p.27 #9 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

reggieb wrote:

Two things:

1. DNG convert was degrading the quality
2. The JPG engine in this ship is AMAZING

I have delivered four weddings in four weeks, shooting jpg. all clients are super happy with the results. And my family saw me a lot more than they would have if I was shooting raw.

If you would have told me a month ago that I would be shooting with a new body, and would be forced to shoot jpg and deliver jpg, I would have said NO WAY, YOU'RE NUTTY.

but that is what I'm dealing with right now. shooting jpg fine and raw. putting raw in a folder in a 4TB external hdd, just in case, storage is cheap.

putting jpg on my mac, backing jpg up to a different external. editing, delivering. no complaints!

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:36 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.27 #10 · p.27 #10 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Dj R wrote:
Two things:

I have delivered four weddings in four weeks, shooting jpg. all clients are super happy with the results. And my family saw me a lot more than they would have if I was shooting raw.

If you would have told me a month ago that I would be shooting with a new body, and would be forced to shoot jpg and deliver jpg, I would have said NO WAY, YOU'RE NUTTY.

but that is what I'm dealing with right now. shooting jpg fine and raw.
...Show more

I'm using DNG and I'm finding the quality is pretty darn good.... maybe I'm just not critical enough to notice a difference but what is it in particular where you were noticing a quality issue with the DNG's?

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:48 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.27 #11 · p.27 #11 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Many sports and press photographers shoot jpg for reduced size and easier handling of transferring files. Jpg was great in the D3/D700 and so on. Though if there are no restraints, it is always better to shoot with the most flexibility.
-Greg
Dj R wrote:
Two things:

...Show more

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:05 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.27 #12 · p.27 #12 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Ive seen no Quality loss shooting dng. Ive been using jpg past couple days cause its getting old converting 400-500 images at a time to dng.

Jpg's do look fantastic.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:08 PM
reggieb
• •
p.27 #13 · p.27 #13 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Dj R wrote:
Two things:

...Show more

Yeah, I'll admit, I actually accidentally shot in JPEG on a trip recently with my D500. To this day I have absolutely no clue how it got set to only shoot JPEGs, I've never set it to that, at least not intentionally. While I am quite sure it was user error, I still don't know what I did. But that said, there were literally nothing I was missing. The photos came out great. I still made some changes, but I flew through them, and everything turned out fine.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:17 PM
shoot3r

p.27 #14 · p.27 #14 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Dj R wrote:
Two things:

...Show more

I was thinking I'd shoot raw, and then use dng coverter, but then there are no camera profiles in LR. I'd be stuck using "adobe standard", which I'm really not that fond of. If I shot jpeg, I could keep the Nikon profile baked in.

I don't have the camera yet, it's a moot point for now.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.27 #15 · p.27 #15 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I see around 5-10 lens profiles when editing my jpg from d850 - in LR6/CC

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:04 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.27 #16 · p.27 #16 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

i love what the d850 has done to my 24-70, i can hardly wait to see it it does with the 14-24 that i have yet to use on the 850

Edited on Dec 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:40 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.27 #17 · p.27 #17 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I am using both RAW and Jpegs at least storing both for now until we have updates from Adobe. For smaller runs I am just using Adobe Bridge and converting to TIFF's into Lr CC. The colors don't appear to be accurate as Capture NX but still excellent.

For Jpegs I am using Portrait profile and for WB normally 0. For lanscapes/seascapes I experiment with WB 1 or 2 and I really like natural light.

For sharpening I still feel that Lr/PS is the best as it is very predicable. Sometimes for output I will use Sharpner Pro 3 before output for the intended target.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.27 #18 · p.27 #18 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Pulled the shadows 3 stops on this one. Gotta luv that.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4473/37430457142_e23ee8ba21_k.jpg

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:00 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.27 #19 · p.27 #19 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Todd wrote:
Looking into the past 2.8 million years. M31 the andromeda galaxy.

Really impressive image Todd... excellent work.

Is this a single 300 sec exposure on an AstroTrac (or something similar)?

Kirk

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.27 #20 · p.27 #20 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Hi Kirk,
Thanks...
Yes this is a single exposure. This is my first time out with this camera and I was more or less trying to figure out how it behaves compared to my Nikon D810. Single exposures usually work pretty well for me especially if I get enough data, sometimes I will use the multiple exposure mode in the camera and stack about five or six shots to clean up the image even more so I can pull out more details and that usually works really well as long as my tracking is good . It is on the AstroTrac and my exposure time was five minutes as mentioned.

KirkB wrote:
Really impressive image Todd... excellent work.

Is this a single 300 sec exposure on an AstroTrac (or something similar)?

Kirk

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.