Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              36       37       end

Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ...

charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Dj R wrote:
How do you like the automatic fine tune?

I have not even had a chance as I have a lens align system that I manually calibrate quickly. This has been very quick and accurate even now with the D850. I have noticed with the D850 the E series lenses require very little fine tuning if any whereas the older series and Sigmas do.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:02 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Charles, Congratulation for D850 and Nice portrait as always.

Anyone with D850 can do a test that using electronic shutter shoot a scene with deep shadow and lift shadow by a few stop compare to mechanic shutter? I know Sony A7RII drop to 12 bit in full electronic shutter (silent mode) which will have more noise and sacrifice DR.

I wonder if Nikon does the same thing. if not, E Shutter will be way more useful in field on Tripod. (no shutter count is another benefit.)

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:05 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

zhangyue wrote:

Anyone with D850 can do a test that using electronic shutter shoot a scene with deep shadow and lift shadow by a few stop compare to mechanic shutter? I know Sony A7RII drop to 12 bit in full electronic shutter (silent mode) which will have more noise and sacrifice DR.

I wonder if Nikon does the same thing. if not, E Shutter will be way more useful in field on Tripod. (no shutter count is another benefit.)

Thanks Michael

Does anyone have any experience with glass screen protectors with the D500 with a touch screen and how it is affected

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:54 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

charles.K wrote:
Shot this morning with the 70-200/2.8E FL NEF raw processed via PS latest updates.

What the heck tree is that? I don't understand Australia at all

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:19 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Lee Saxon wrote:
What the heck tree is that? I don't understand Australia at all

It is a native honey gem grevillea and the rainbow lorikeets just love them !!! In the morning it sounds like they are having a wild party

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:22 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

zhangyue wrote:

From video here Tony Northrup did some test to address my concern.

at around 16min. It seems no noise penalty for electronic shutter for the case I mentioned for non moving stuff.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:41 AM
Danner
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Great thread[thumbsup]

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:23 AM
Lance B
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Picked my D850 up yesterday and went to the zoo as it is usually an easy place to get decent subject matter for testing and checking out how it performs. However, as well as I thought I set the camera up by methodically going through the menu step by step, alongside the D810 menu and setting it up in a similar fashion, there is always something that is missed and it was that I forgot to decouple the AF from the shutter button after linking it to the rear AF-ON button. Hence I was getting a number of OOF shots that I initially thought was an AF fine tune issue but obviously found out (late in the day!) that it wasn't. Anyway, I did manage to get a few shots off that worked out.

What's the D850 like? If anyone is familiar with a D500, then it's bascially a D500 in an FX body with 3 fps less at full tilt. So, for me it was nothing really all that new as the D500 is an amazing DX camera, arguably the best ever DX camera there is, and thus I wasn't as excited as some about the D850 simply because I could see it was just a FF version of the D500. The D850 just takes what the D500 has and moves it to FF and as far as responsiveness is concerned it is pretty much identical. If you've ever gone from D810 after shooting the D500, you'll understand it is quite lethargic in comparison. The D850 is like a sports car in comparison to the D810. So, I am excited in a way because I have a "one body does it all" camera - wildlife/birds, sports, my 10 month old crawling grandson, landscapes and just about everything else. No need to swap cameras. Although, sometimes it is good to have two different cameras and I will probably keep the D500 and sell the D810. Make no bones about it, though, the D850 is one hell of a camera!

A couple of photos. I am not going to pretend these are great examples, but the first is a sample of ISO7200 with no post process noise reduction other than what is the default by Capture NX-D and the camera set to "Norm" high ISO noise reduction. Capture NX-D is quite foreign to me and I really don't know how to get the best from it and I am sure that a better post processing job can be achieved. My RAW converter of choice is Capture One Pro 10 and I can't wait for that to support the D850. Not only that, but I would be better able to make a comparison with the D810 files and the D500 files.

D850 + 400 f2.8E FL VR, 1/200s f/5.0 at 400.0mm iso7200

D850 + 70-200 f2.8E FL VR, 1/200s f/4.5 at 160.0mm iso640

D850 + 400 f2.8E FL VR, 1/250s f/5.0 at 400.0mm iso3600/original.jpg

The last photo has had a little bit of Noise reduction through Noiseware.

Sep 08, 2017 at 07:32 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

they look great Lance. whats it like to crop with so many MP?

Lance B wrote:
Picked my D850 up yesterday and went to the zoo as it is usually an easy place to get decent subject matter for testing and checking out how it performs. However, as well as I thought I set the camera up by methodically going through the menu step by step, alongside the D810 menu and setting it up in a similar fashion, there is always something that is missed and it was that I forgot to decouple the AF from the shutter button after linking it to the rear AF-ON button. Hence I was getting a number of OOF
...Show more

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:57 AM
Lance B
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

CritterRacing wrote:
they look great Lance. whats it like to crop with so many MP?

Haven't cropped yet!

However, with 47+Mp it does give lots of leeway!

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dj R
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

charles.K wrote:
I have not even had a chance as I have a lens align system that I manually calibrate quickly. This has been very quick and accurate even now with the D850. I have noticed with the D850 the E series lenses require very little fine tuning if any whereas the older series and Sigmas do.

actually it does require some work to do the AUTO fine tune.
you have to shoot in live view on a tripod, a series of images.
cheers

Edited on Sep 09, 2017 at 02:34 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:20 PM
rick2906
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

I hate all of you guys!! lol! I have a winter project on my motorcycle! I would love the D850 for it's blazing fast AF, but it will have to wait! Like Lance said my D810 feels so sluggish when I have been shooting with the d500.

As always, great images Lance!! Ultra sharp with the 400mm 2.8FL lense

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Nisa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

My first images with newly arrived D850 and Nikkor 105 1.4

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

The new natural light auto WB is fantastic.

The D750 feels like a toy after handling the D850
And I had a D810 until an hour ago.
So there's just something magical and professional "feeling" about the D850.

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 03:21 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Please post tips in this manner, and I'll move them to the initial post and credit you fully!

Tip #X TOPIC

SUMMARY
HOW TO DO IT
NOTES

I have just posted tips #1 and #2 at the end of the initial post
enjoy

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:01 PM
sandy27000
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Some JPEG's taken this morning, some minor work in LR. Coming from a max of 24mp camera (D750), I am just floored by how well the details come through.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:20 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Sharing JPG
Found a willing subject, my neighbor Louise.

You can see two different images, each with a crop.

I didn't shoot high ISO yet, sorry. Will do asap.

if you look at the tones in the crops / her hair..... pretty sweet, these were shot at 12pm (100% sunshine here) but under a fairly decent canopy of trees at a local park. typically would fight w/b for a bit, when shooting raw.
I have never looked at a nikon jpg until today.

edited these sliders:
highlights down
whites down

all untouched:
exposure
shadows
blacks
clarity
sharpness
vibrance
saturation
temp
tint

I will shoot in flat light tonight, and then low light as well.

NIKON D850    28.0 mm f/1.4 lens    28mm    f/1.4    1/200s    64 ISO    +0.7 EV  

crop from above

NIKON D850    28.0 mm f/1.4 lens    28mm    f/1.4    1/200s    64 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D850    28.0 mm f/1.4 lens    28mm    f/1.4    1/200s    72 ISO    +0.7 EV  

crop from above

NIKON D850    28.0 mm f/1.4 lens    28mm    f/1.4    1/200s    72 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 05:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:45 PM
N_Perceptions

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

People are starting to receive their D850 here in Sweden now, just got mine with the 9fps package .
Will go to bed early today and take it out for a spinn early in the morning tomorrow.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

zhangyue wrote:
From video here Tony Northrup did some test to address my concern.

at around 16min. It seems no noise penalty for electronic shutter for the case I mentioned for non moving stuff.

Tony didn't really measure the electronic shutter noise properly. The penalty would be in DR, which is represented in the deep shadows near clipping. Tony only showed the midtones and highlights for the base ISO image. To measure that the image needs to be underexposed and then pushed in post by at least 5-6EV - this is what demonstrates the penalty on other cameras like the A7rII. Tony does show an ISO 25,600 comparison as well, which would achieve a similar result as a deep shadow push at base ISO. Unfortunately the heavy LED light banding from the electronic shutter in his scene makes comparing the noise difficult.

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official Nikon D850 image & resource hub thread ( images picture )

Bill Claff is ready with his DR measurements:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20D850

Pretty much as D810 but with dual gain adding a bit of DR at ISO 400 and above.

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password