New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

35L II loose focus ring

_manny_

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35L II loose focus ring

A question for any owners of the 35L II - I've got the chance to buy this lens but on inspection I saw the focus ring is a bit loose. I took this video - in the video it somehow makes it look less loose than it is, as it moves up and down, but you can hear the sound clear enough as it moves enough to cause it to "rattle"

Is this normal for the 35L II? I was expecting everything to feel very tight and firm. I read on the lens rental tear down that inside the focus ring there is tape and then under there are screws. A friend bought this lens a while back, virtually never used it and is selling it but I was just rather surprised to find a part that was loose even if only slightly.

Any help appreciated - thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56212153@N02/36232896844/in/dateposted-public/

https://flic.kr/p/XcM4U1

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:57 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35L II loose focus ring

Mine does that a very little bit but since I never move the focus ring in that direction, it was never anything I noticed. When I move the focus ring in the normal direction it's tight with no backlash. I don't mean binding tight, just that there's no backlash whatsoever in the rotational direction.

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:03 PM
_manny_

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35L II loose focus ring

Thanks - this one turns left to right very nicely and smoothly. I am just used to L lenses being very tightly constructed - this one's focus ring is loose enough that when you pick it up by the focus ring it's noticeable. He's a good friend , he'll just send it to Canon if it needs doing, it's just hard to say as it doesn't have any impact on the focus but I was thinking in terms of weather sealing as much as anything, any loose bits can't help.

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:06 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35L II loose focus ring

I don't have that lens however if its any consolation my 3 oldest lenses, ~15 years old, a 28-70mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L and 300mm f/4L IS are that way. My 300 is the loosest more closely simulating the lens in your vid. I've noticed that they've always clicked a little, even when new, however have gotten a little looser over time. Since these lenses work perfectly I think that this is normal for these older lenses.

My newest lenses do not click at all which leads me to speculate that there have been design & manufacturing tolerance improvements in recent years.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:02 PM
_manny_

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35L II loose focus ring

Yes that's the impression I have too and in particular the 35L II was praised for the solid way it was built, hence my surprise though from the tear down I read online Canon obviously concentrated most on the internal structure which makes sense.

It's a tricky choice to make as I have tried it out and it's perfectly sharp right into the corners and focuses perfectly with only -2 adjustment so I fear I might regret it if I don't take the chance!

Thanks for your information though. As it happens I've had a 135L for years too, it has even been dropped a couple of times and there isn't even the slightest ply or looseness in any part of it so perhaps there is no hard and fast rule for this or that lens.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35L II loose focus ring

Usually, you pull back the rubber grip and rotate the barrel until you see screws that need to be tightened.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:52 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35L II loose focus ring

I don't have the 35mm but it sounds very much like my 70-200 f2.8 L IS. Simply loosen off the rubber area to access the screws. Then tighten the screws. Its as simple as that :- )

Similar here:

Pete

Sep 07, 2017 at 09:51 AM
RonLander

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35L II loose focus ring

My 35L F1.4 MKII also has a tiny but of movement as shown in the video. Checked for the same thing on 6 other Canon lenses and all have this 'feature'. The most movement is on my 100-400L II. Oddly my two Sigma Art F1.4s (24mm and 50mm) do not do this at all.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:10 PM
_manny_

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35L II loose focus ring

Thank you Jon, Pete and Ron for your input.

It's really quite interesting to hear that others have similar things on other Canon lenses, I've checked my 24L, 50L, 135L as well as 24-70 and 100-400 (yes I spend too much on lenses!) and none have any part even slightly loose. It really sounds like it varies a lot.

Apparently Canon use different thickness mounts when constructing lenses instead of shims to calibrate individual lenses - perhaps this explains it.

Thanks for the suggestions about fixing it - though it appears this particular lens has a different construction, with tape under the rubber and then a screw that requires a special tool.

Those interested can read more here:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown/

It really is quite impressive just how much Canon "over engineered" this particular lens. I read the 100-400L II takes a similar approach. That's partly why I was surprised to find any aspect of it at all loose.

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:28 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35L II loose focus ring

Don't seem to have that issue with my 35 II for what its worth.

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password