Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's possible Canon is developing a full frame mirrorless but if such camera comes to market, all the investment in EF mount glass would have to be adapted to the new mirrorless's flange distance anyways...Unless they remove the mirror and keep the exact same distance.

Fred, even tho I'm fairly technically oriented, I don't know why a mirrorless Canon FF would need a new mount design? I sure hope that is not the case. Yikes!

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:04 PM
danski0224
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's possible Canon is developing a full frame mirrorless but if such camera comes to market, all the investment in EF mount glass would have to be adapted to the new mirrorless's flange distance anyways...Unless they remove the mirror and keep the exact same distance.

I would assume that Canon would follow Sigma's lead with their sdQuattro camera, and make the lens mount the same dimension from the sensor as any Canon DSLR.

Unlike Sony, Canon has no real need to make a short flange distance mirrorless camera- Canon has lenses. Nor is there a need to create a new lens mount.

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:14 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

canon already have the ef-m mount that can cope with a 35mm sensor.
canon already have an adapter for that mount.
canon already have experience building a mirror-less camera with evf.

honestly how hard can it be..? 3-4 native ff ef-m lenses, slap the 5d4 sensor into it the m5 your done.

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:22 PM
pshyvers

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Jeffrey wrote:
Fred, even tho I'm fairly technically oriented, I don't know why a mirrorless Canon FF would need a new mount design? I sure hope that is not the case. Yikes!

Mirrorless does not REQUIRE a new mount design, but one of the core selling points of mirrorless is, you can move the lens closer to the sensor because the mirror is gone. This means smaller, lighter, & more compact, at least in theory. So it seems unlikely you'd see a mirrorless body that directly reuses the EF mount.

You'd still get your EVF & related features, and you'd get the silent operation & no-moving-parts reliability.

But you can't get the mirrorless compactness, without a new mount design.

This is already evidenced by the creation of EF-M, which has a new mount design to get the compactness, and uses an adapter to get the correct sensor-lens spacing for EF mount glass. (As far as I know it's a dumb adapter, it's only function is the spacing)

(But of course, I may eat my words)

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Sy Sez
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

I'm definitely ready, providing Canon has the will, and capability to challenge the competition.

They need to hit a" homer", or it's "three strikes you're out"!

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:31 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

only downside for canon here is I already bought an a7rmk2 and am picking up a 5d4 later in the month....

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Jeffrey wrote:

Unless Canon maintains the same exact flange distance for their mirrorless body, an adapter would be needed. It's not a win-win situation since one of the benefits of going mirrorless is having a more compact system. Also, in the case of "wide angle" lenses, the shorter flange distance allows them to be designed much smaller without sacrificing IQ.

A couple examples of this are the Loxia 21/2.8 and FE 12-24/4G lenses for the E-mount. (two outstanding lenses much more compact compared to similar DSLR models)

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:36 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

pshyvers wrote:
This is already evidenced by the creation of EF-M, which has a new mount design to get the compactness, and uses an adapter to get the correct sensor-lens spacing for EF mount glass. (As far as I know it's a dumb adapter, it's only function is the spacing)

(But of course, I may eat my words)

It's a 'dumb' adapter; the EF-M mount uses the same protocols as the EF and EF-S mounts, so in essence, the EF-M -> EF lens adapter is an automatic extension tube with an EF-M mount on one end and an EF mount on the other.

We also see performance with EOS-M cameras using adapted lenses to be similar to similarly spec'd Canon DSLRs, shot in live view.

Also, the EF-M mount looks to be able to accommodate a full-frame sensor, so Canon is most of the way there. That they don't have a full-frame mirrorless camera of some sort is certainly a choice. It's also an easy to understand choice: aside from the shorter lenses Fred mentioned above, size and weight of the system don't significantly decrease, and then Canon would be confusing their customer base, having to split their marketing, and so on.

Sony doesn't have this problem, as they and the market had mostly abandoned A-mount- they didn't even bother properly adapting their own A-mount lenses to E-mount

Sep 07, 2017 at 01:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

I am not in the market for a 5dsr II but hope it has an artic. LCD for your sake.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:08 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Canonrumors has a new rumor (CR2) on a 60MP Canon 5DS R Mark II for 2018...
  1. Working prototypes are currently being tested.
  2. The “5DS” series will be amalgamated into a single camera.
  3. No low pass filter.
  4. All new 60.1mp image sensor.
  5. A new type of low megapixel mode.
  6. 4K video (video features will be basic)
  7. Identical body to the EOS 5D Mark IV.
  8. Focus peaking present, may appear first on another DSLR.
  9. Expect all the other features such as DPAF, Wifi, Touchscreen and GPS.

Exciting?

Not in the least based on those specs, looks like the typical do as little as possible Canon update. Maybe if it get's full 1DXII AF and dedicated AF cpu like the D850, does at least 7fps, uses a BSI sensor with 14 stops DR, flip screen, offers more efficient codecs for 4K, does not use some ridiculous 2x crop mode for 4K it could be sweet. No chance they'll do that, as they'll fear for the 5D4 then. They've backed themselves into a corner due to their rigid opposition to cannibalisation of sales. Nikon doesn't care if the D850 steals D5 sales, they even gave the D500 the full AF of the D5 and 90% of that camera for less than 1/3rd the price.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

retrofocus wrote:
Yes, if it comes in a small mirrorless package and not in DSLR form.

This is not the camera you are looking for.

Mirrorless is coming, but it won't be the 5DsII. Rumours of a 36-48MP sensor, cameras are in the wild, will keep EF mount, so won't be compact like A7's , but that's not a bad thing IMO.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:45 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
This is not the camera you are looking for.

Mirrorless is coming, but it won't be the 5DsII. Rumours of a 36-48MP sensor, cameras are in the wild, will keep EF mount, so won't be compact like A7's , but that's not a bad thing IMO.

Good! I'm not interested in compactness. I have a Fuji XPro2 for that. I want EF mount. If it's in a 5D4 or 5DSR style body I'll be happy.. That is already a compact design for me, coming from years of 1Ds and 1DsIII bodies..

Edited on Sep 07, 2017 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:00 AM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Projected upgrades:

-- DR improvements from on-chip ADC
-- 7fps?
-- Card slots: Cfast and CF? Please god don't put an SD card slot piping 30mb/s on 100mb files in this thing.
-- Dual Pixel AF
-- Improved phase detect spread in 5D4
-- f/8 everywhere
-- Wifi, etc.

I won't be buying one but I can see myself renting it at some point. That would be a pretty compelling camera and a very viable alternative to the D850.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:15 AM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Not in the least based on those specs, looks like the typical do as little as possible Canon update. Maybe if it get's full 1DXII AF and dedicated AF cpu like the D850, does at least 7fps, uses a BSI sensor with 14 stops DR, flip screen, offers more efficient codecs for 4K, does not use some ridiculous 2x crop mode for 4K it could be sweet. No chance they'll do that, as they'll fear for the 5D4 then. They've backed themselves into a corner due to their rigid opposition to cannibalisation of sales. Nikon doesn't care if the
...Show more

I disagree somewhat. I think there is a very low chance of a BSI chip since Canon hasn't shown one yet in a production model.

However, I think if you list out the full list of upgrades it becomes a very compelling package for many.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:18 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

I'm not sure what real advantage a bsi chip has. so long as it has on sensor adc's

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:44 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

I jumped at the 5D3 to replace my 5D2, when it came out. I was happy with that decision.

I chose to sit out the 5D4, still happy with my 5D3 and thinking that, for me, the evolutionary improvements were not worth the $2000 price tag to upgrade. I still love the 5D3; so no regrets here.

I feel similarly about the 5DSR. It would take a combination of much greater effective frame rate (including a much larger buffer) and much, much better DR/high ISO noise control for me to be even a little bit tempted to dump my 5DSR (which I really love). 10mp more is trivial, and only would serve to eat up storage space and bog down frame rate.

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:30 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Exciting?

_______
Yes, $4199 exciting. Just guessing.

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:09 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

StevenSHH wrote:
I bet the specification will be equal or better than Nikon D850

It's highly, highly unlikely that Canon will be able to match the D850's combination of high resolution, low and high ISO noise performance, and speed, if only because it requires a technological toolset that so far hasn't appeared in Canon sensors (BSI, copper wiring, Aptina-like dual gain architecture, etc.).

Expect very high resolution, DPAF, relatively slower fps, improved low ISO DR (albeit not as good as recent Nikons), poor high ISO noise performance (just like the current 5DS, or Canon's APSC sensors), poor video specs, and maybe quite a few operational qualities improvements. I would also expect the same body design as the 5DIV, but not because of part sharing and cost reasons. The 5DS's top plate, for example, is different from the 5DIII, just to add a few cosmetic design cues (slightly different front prism housing, and a detail around the M-fn button).

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:17 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Focus peaking can be tricky... They should use the 5D4 as a test bed through a generally available firmware upgrade. Seriously, Magic Lantern has brought it to my EOS M years ago!

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:50 AM
technic
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

MayaTlab wrote:
It's highly, highly unlikely that Canon will be able to match the D850's combination of high resolution, low and high ISO noise performance, and speed, if only because it requires a technological toolset that so far hasn't appeared in Canon sensors (BSI, copper wiring, Aptina-like dual gain architecture, etc.).

Expect very high resolution, DPAF, relatively slower fps, improved low ISO DR (albeit not as good as recent Nikons), poor high ISO noise performance (just like the current 5DS, or Canon's APSC sensors), poor video specs, and maybe quite a few operational qualities improvements. I would also expect the same body
...Show more

Yes, slightly better than the D850 in pixel number (but hardly relevant in practice), still behind on many other counts (which may or may not count in practice) and coming one year after the D850. That's Canon like we know it, and Canon knows they get away with it. Personally I have zero interest if only because it has no flip screen. And if I ever buy such a relatively heavy and expensive camera it would be one that 'does it all' like the D850 - that new 5D version still sounds mostly like a niche camera that I would not chose for every type of shooting.

Sep 07, 2017 at 09:02 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password