Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

qc_mountain
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

That would be nice if Canon would improve the Dynamic Range , decrease the noise ratio and have instantaneous image on the rear LCD not lagging like the current one.

Francois.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:45 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

matejphoto wrote:
Same here. Still using 5Dm2 as my only full frame.
I do hope that they include a flippy screen.

I sure did like the 5Dsr when I rented it for slow wildlife a couple years back.
You'd have to rip the 5D4 from my cold hands though. It's quite an all-rounder for my subject variety.
I do wish it had a flippy screen though. It's my main lament other than it won't make coffee for me.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

pshyvers wrote:
Wait, does this suggest it's literally a 5D4 with a bigger sensor? Same AF and all that? Whoa.

More resolution (not 'larger', but we get what you're saying), but the current 5Ds (R) cameras were essentially 5D III bodies with a higher-resolution sensor, though they did add some functionality that had been put into the 7D II as well.

----

My two points and a collective hope:
1. That Canon includes DPAF and on-die ADC's, and perhaps takes a shot at the D810 and K1 in terms of low-ISO DR
2. I don't expect great video from this camera; Canon appears to be loathe to develop/acquire the high-performance processors that some of their competition have fielded, so with 60MP to cull, I doubt what video is available with be earth-shattering
Collective Hope: They don't pull a 6D II and cut away at features and performance already available in the 5D IV such that the original 5Ds cameras remain potentially superior in certain situations.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:03 PM
NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

johnctharp wrote:
More resolution (not 'larger', but we get what you're saying), but the current 5Ds (R) cameras were essentially 5D III bodies with a higher-resolution sensor, though they did add some functionality that had been put into the 7D II as well.

----

My two points and a collective hope:
1. That Canon includes DPAF and on-die ADC's, and perhaps takes a shot at the D810 and K1 in terms of low-ISO DR
2. I don't expect great video from this camera; Canon appears to be loathe to develop/acquire the high-performance processors that some of their competition have fielded, so with 60MP to cull, I
...Show more

By the time the 5DSr2 comes out the 5D4 will be for sale around $2700 or so and I expect the new camera to sell for $3800 initially. That ought to differentiate the two well enough, from a price standpoint.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:08 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

NCAndy wrote:
By the time the 5DSr2 comes out the 5D4 will be for sale around $2700 or so and I expect the new camera to sell for $3800 initially. That ought to differentiate the two well enough, from a price standpoint.

I don't disagree with your point, but in counter-point, Canon released the 6D II.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:10 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

johnctharp wrote:
I don't disagree with your point, but in counter-point, Canon released the 6D II.

Let's hope the 6D2 is an outlier.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

qc_mountain wrote:
That would be nice if Canon would improve the Dynamic Range , decrease the noise ratio and have instantaneous image on the rear LCD not lagging like the current one.

Francois.

THIS!

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:33 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Could be interesting; hopefully they will put in enough effort to make it worthwile.

Better operation of speed, higher dr and better high iso performance, enough fps to make it a decent wildlife option and a tilt screen would be required to have me pull the trigger on this one.

New sensor tech sounds interesting, but I do hope they will add that tilt screen and faster sd slot to the body...

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:43 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

retrofocus wrote:
Yes, if it comes in a small mirrorless package and not in DSLR form.

Maybe in another decade...

Canon still isn't taking mirrorless seriously.

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:24 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

I wonder if 5DSR2 or 7D3 will show up first. Those two are critical to me in deciding if I go more towards Nikon or ditch my D500 (and aspirations for a D850) and stay invested in Canon (which would be ideal as I love my Canon lenses and don't want to do a whole sell-off).

The 7D3 is a whole other topic I won't discuss here.

For a 5DSR2 to tempt me it needs to have faster operation in image review and buffer clearance. I think this will require better DIGIC AND better card slots. The rumour that it will be in a 5D4 body makes me think they won't be updating the card slots. But maybe they can make a card slot module with C-Fast and UHS-II SD that fits into the exact same area as the 5D4's CF/UHS-I does??
I'd also want to see some way to get up to 9FPS (maybe I'd settle for 8) with a crop mode that actually increases the FPS and improves the buffer by just saving the smaller APS-C sized file which would be 23.4MP if the 60MP size is true.
I'd also need to see 61-pt f/8 AF from the 5D4....I think this will be almost guaranteed. I don't see any reason not to include it.
I don't make use of low ISO DR very often but I'd still appreciate it having it so I know it is a modern sensor on the new fabs (upside is it will avoid 100 page long threads on here bashing the sensor )

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wlpelzmann
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Some nice incremental upgrades, but nothing that has me wanting to upgrade from a 5DSR. I can see skipping this one, but obviously will need to see the image quality.

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:40 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Exciting? Well, sort of. My 5DSR meets my currents needs, However, being a Fuji shooter as well, I now love the workflow of a mirrorless camera. So, I'm waiting for a Canon full frame, full featured, 50MP mirrorless body. Sony has that market tied up now, but I'm very invested in Canon mount glass and don't want to use adapters.

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Jeffrey wrote:
Exciting? Well, sort of. My 5DSR meets my currents needs, However, being a Fuji shooter as well, I now love the workflow of a mirrorless camera. So, I'm waiting for a Canon full frame, full featured, 50MP mirrorless body. Sony has that market tied up now, but I'm very invested in Canon mount glass and don't want to use adapters.

It's possible Canon is developing a full frame mirrorless but if such camera comes to market, all the investment in EF mount glass would have to be adapted to the new mirrorless's flange distance anyways...Unless they remove the mirror and keep the exact same distance.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:03 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

A 1DsIV would be most welcome...

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:07 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Photonadave wrote:
The minor MP boost from my 5DsR works out to be only 10% linear resolution increase which is negligible & not worth the upgrade on its own IMHO. Now if Canon includes the improvements from the 5DIV and then some then yes however depending on review & user reporting back I would likely wait until the the camera has been out at least a year allowing for bugs, if any, to be worked out and the first discounting to start up. My last two cameras came from Canon Referb.

The modest increase in resolution is disappointing (assuming the rumours come to pass) especially given the 3 years gap. In exchange do we get a significant improvement in dynamic range?

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:24 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Guys guys... Stop the dreaming. We're talking about Canon here.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:27 PM
mudlake
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Here is all I want:

A Canon DSLR that has a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. Flip a switch and the mirror flips up and you see what the sensor sees through the viewfinder. I love Canon's live view but getting critical focus with manual lenses is so much easier through the viewfinder. Focus peaking isn't exact. That's all I want.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:41 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

retrofocus wrote:
Yes, if it comes in a small mirrorless package and not in DSLR form.

so true

if its the size of a7rii and has similar quality sensor, maybe.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:17 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

therealthings wrote:
Guys guys... Stop the dreaming. We're talking about Canon here.

Yeah, given the history it's hard to really get that excited. I would expect the typical incremental upgrades here and there. Hard to believe this would not have the latest sensor tech but I don't think you are going to see anything like a D850 or a potential A9R.

I'm more interested in the 7D3 and have the same guarded view on that as well.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:23 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Are you ready for the Canon 5DS R MARK II?

Boy, sure sounds depressing here...

I guess I won't have to wait long when released given all the nay-sayers passing or just not buying anything Canon.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password