[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · the watcher & the watched

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3781/33102795816_d636b5085b_o.jpg

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · the watcher & the watched

Very well done, getting the subject in focus with intervening leaves is hard. Has a pensive look.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:50 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · the watcher & the watched

I like the facial expression of the... monkey? (might not be) but I find that the color balance was too green overall. The bokeh on everything in the background looks unnatural to me as well so I took a stab at post processing to give you some additional idea. I cooled the highlights (probably too much) to emulate more of a sky background, did some selective level adjustments and color balancing and some dodge/burn to highlight the face and eyes more. This was a quick edit so it's far from perfect, and I'm by no means nearly as comfortable with processing as some others in the group, but I hope you find it helpful. I still think I have the monkey underexposed now that I look at it, but I should really be doing homework right now, just took a quick break!

Where was this taken just out of curiosity? Was it indoors?

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · the watcher & the watched

Very nice capture of the personification.

A few assorted tweaks to the color, etc. to hone in a bit on the star of the show.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:03 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · the watcher & the watched

solarishead, this was shot in the wild under the canopy of the jungle; Monkey Forest, Ubud, Bali, Indonesian Feb. 2017. nice crop however, the image has already been cropped 40% from the original 18mp rendering it useless for large format printing. the op image can safely yield a good print at 18" x 24".

Edited on Sep 06, 2017 at 10:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:30 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · the watcher & the watched

RustyBug, nice. you've isolated the watcher even more so. it looks like the original images WB when set at auto WB. i used daylight WB in post for the original image.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:35 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · the watcher & the watched

R.H. - That helps explain why I was losing detail in the fur when viewed full screen.

RustyBug - Your end result it much closer to what I was shooting for but my skills aren't quite there yet. Nicely done.

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · the watcher & the watched

Thanks guys.

I never know how (first pass, especially) it's gonna play in Peoria when adjusting colors in scenes such as this one and the owls. When you've got a multitude of issues in concert with each other (backlighting, under canopy, foliage reflection, mixed / dappled lighting, etc.), there usually isn't a "single" right answer, so it takes a bit more study to understand what IS going on with the different pieces of the puzzle. Then a few more grey cells to consider what it is that you WANT to be going on with WHICH pieces. Then a few more to decide HOW to get it from IS > WANT.

As to skills ... imo, color (of light, specifically) is something that we (I know I didn't) don't embrace as early as we ought. Just one piece of the puzzle ... along with focus, comp, hue, lines, form, shape, texture, timing, speed, dof, etc. The one thing that is nice about digital PP, is that we don't have to overly concern ourselves with it during pre-production as much as with film (i.e. it can be post-production) ... although, I do strive to understand my color of light in pre-production to a certain degree.

With film, the issue of filters was necessary to compensate for colors of light, but that was largely a global treatment, whereas with digital, we can apply varying degree of selective application to contend with the multitude of issues that might present themselves within a single scene. But, it does take some "head scratchin" ... that, and some good ol' trial & error. Thank goodness for non-destructive layers.

Of course, then there's always the issues of how color plays into accommodation, preference, mood, message, etc. ... which is where the perpetual caveat of S&P to taste reigns.

I'd be curious to see the Auto WB version, too. It's one thing for us to think, how we think ... adding in to that knowledge base would include understanding how the camera (algorithm evaluations) thinks. The closer they match ... the more confidence we tend to have in the tool.

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:11 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · the watcher & the watched

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4361/36253473894_8c465fc9bd_o.jpg

one of the originals.

Sep 07, 2017 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.