New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

A fast, wide prime, come on!

Wilbus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Ah!

Looking through the Zeiss Loxia thread I get even more annoyed with Olympus and Panasonic for not releasing something in the 18-21mm range. A high quality prime, sharp and with nice sunburst effect.

I know we have the Voigtländer 10,5 but still unsure about the quality of the pictures from that one, too few reviews and photos available.

Anyone else hope for a fast, wider then "wide" high quality prime? I know Olympus is on the way with the 12 and 17 but not quite wide enough and we already have the excellent PL 12 F1.4. (which I would want)

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:08 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I have been lusting and asking for a 6-12mm zoom like the Sony, Sigma and Canon versions.

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:47 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

That too would be quite awesome... I wonder how difficult a 6mm would be?

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:56 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

If Canon can make a 11-24 and both Sony and Sigma can make a 12-24, Olympus or Panasonic can surely make a 6-12 lens. They are just afraid that this will adversely affect their 7-14/8-18 lenses. But think about it - a 6-12 rectilinear lens will sell really well - so they have little or nothing to lose.

Wilbus wrote:
That too would be quite awesome... I wonder how difficult a 6mm would be?

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:52 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I wouldn't be to worried about the image quality from the Voigtländer. The size and weight on the other hand is... a bit over the top.

There are two alternatives, although both are a bit off the beaten track:

- The Laowa 7.5mm f/2. It's manual everything, but seems to get decent reviews.
- The Zuiko 8mm f/1.8 fisheye. Yes, it's a fisheye, but wow... I tried it the other day. It's a stunner in every possible way.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:45 PM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I just want an 8mm (non-fisheye) f2.8 prime. That would pretty much complete my kit (after I find a good used 75mm that is).

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:21 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

The Olympus 7-14/2.8 rectilinear lens is practically as good as a prime lens at 7mm f2.8:

https://www.lenstip.com/465.4-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_7-14_mm_f_2.8_ED_PRO_Image_resolution.html

And the Panasonic-Leica 18-18/2.8-4.0 rectilinear lens is almost just as good at 8mm f2.8:

https://www.lenstip.com/508.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_Leica_DG_Vario-Elmarit_8-18_mm_f_2.8-4_ASPH._Image_resolution.html

tdlavigne wrote:
I just want an 8mm (non-fisheye) f2.8 prime. That would pretty much complete my kit (after I find a good used 75mm that is).

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:51 PM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I don't want a zoom though; I've been wavering on the 7-14mm but if I were to spend $900 for that, or 11-1200 on either of those other two, I'd probably be best served with a Nikon 14-24mm for the same price (albeit used).

I'm hoping for something small-ish to maintain the # benefit of m4/3 to me; which is the size and potential IQ relative to my dslr kit. If it's small and light enough, I'll opt for m43, but once the lenses get bigger than the tiny primes I find that I'm thinking twice about whether or not I should just bring my dslr.

I'll probably break down eventually and get the 7-14mm though, was just wishful thinking that they could announce development on a wide prime.

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

You can get the older Panasonic 7-14 which is quite a bit smaller and lighter ... but it's f4 and it suffers from purple fringing when you shoot with the sun in front of you. But otherwise it's a jewel of a lens - and it's sharp wide open. I switched from the Panny 7-14 to the Olympus 7-14 and back to the Panny 7-14 ... and I sold that too. Planning to get the PL 8-18 sooner or later ... unless someone surprises us with a 6-12 zoom!

tdlavigne wrote:
I don't want a zoom though; I've been wavering on the 7-14mm but if I were to spend $900 for that, or 11-1200 on either of those other two, I'd probably be best served with a Nikon 14-24mm for the same price (albeit used).

I'm hoping for something small-ish to maintain the # benefit of m4/3 to me; which is the size and potential IQ relative to my dslr kit. If it's small and light enough, I'll opt for m43, but once the lenses get bigger than the tiny primes I find that I'm thinking twice about whether or not
...Show more

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I bought the Pana 7-14 used a couple of days ago. Had it before and it was my most used m4/3 lens then. I paid $550 this time, and apart from being excellent value for money, it's so tiny and lightweight that it's always in my bag or on my camera. GX8 with the 7-14 is less than 900 grams. The Nikkor 14-24mm is twice that weight on any FX Nikon body.

The handicap of that lens will always be the slow aperture, so I will probably buy the Laowa 7.5/2 or Zuiko 8/1.8 fisheye as supplements. Then I can choose... either or

I would still like to have a "straight", fast ultra wide with AF, but as for now, I live very comfortably with what I have.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

bobbytan wrote:
You can get the older Panasonic 7-14 which is quite a bit smaller and lighter ... but it's f4 and it suffers from purple fringing when you shoot with the sun in front of you. But otherwise it's a jewel of a lens - and it's sharp wide open. I switched from the Panny 7-14 to the Olympus 7-14 and back to the Panny 7-14 ... and I sold that too. Planning to get the PL 8-18 sooner or later ... unless someone surprises us with a 6-12 zoom!

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning...I see them used for around $500-550 fairly often. I'll wait until the end of the year, don't really need one at the moment...maybe Panasonic or Olympus will surprise us with something by then

Also, just to confirm: the purple blobs are only when using the Panasonic 7-14mm on Olympus bodies right? Not when using on Panasonic bodies? I'm using the GX85 and GF2.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

tdlavigne wrote:
Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning...I see them used for around $500-550 fairly often. I'll wait until the end of the year, don't really need one at the moment...maybe Panasonic or Olympus will surprise us with something by then

Also, just to confirm: the purple blobs are only when using the Panasonic 7-14mm on Olympus bodies right? Not when using on Panasonic bodies? I'm using the GX85 and GF2.

I've never seen any purple blobs, and I've taken countless photos with that lens on GH1/2/3 bodies.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:57 AM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
I've never seen any purple blobs, and I've taken countless photos with that lens on GH1/2/3 bodies.

Nice, good news for me if that's the way I end up going.

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:26 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

@Jorgen Udvang the 8 1.8 Fisheye has been on my radar for a little while. I wasn't much interested in a fisheye from the beginning, and still not sure if I am but I've seen and read reviews of it and it does indeed seems stellar in every way. I think the biggest use would be for astro photography but I think I might find it hard to work with landscapes.

There are so few scenarios where one can put the horizon in the middle and avoid the fisheye effect and still make to composition work.

Like Bobby, I will probably fall for the PL 8-18 unless Olympus or Panasonic surprised us with something else.
The reason for not choosing Laowa or Voigtlander for example is the lack of weather sealing.

I would love a fast prime, something like F1.2 or F1.4 around 6-10mm

Might have to give the 8/1.8 another real hard look though

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:02 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Wilbus wrote:
@Jorgen Udvang@ the 8 1.8 Fisheye has been on my radar for a little while. I wasn't much interested in a fisheye from the beginning, and still not sure if I am but I've seen and read reviews of it and it does indeed seems stellar in every way. I think the biggest use would be for astro photography but I think I might find it hard to work with landscapes.

There are so few scenarios where one can put the horizon in the middle and avoid the fisheye effect and still make to composition work.

Like Bobby, I will
...Show more

I haven't previously been interested in a fisheye, but then I saw some food images taken with one, and it struck me as very useful. The Zuiko focuses almost to the surface of the lens, which means it's possible to get extreme focus on one element of the image, while, again because of the fisheye effect, anything else becomes tiny and out of focus. This is a very strong candidate for a 4 lens travel setup, the other three being the 7-14/4, the 12-35/2.8 and the 75/1.8 or 35-100/2.8.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:34 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

@Jorgen Udvang it does sound quite interesting. I will wait and see what happens, maybe I will settle on the 8-18, I think it will serve me better then a fisheye but who knows. I am in no real hurry but will settle for the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO as the perfect travel/hiking setup again. Between those two, for me, I really have everything one could possibly need for most scenarios.

But... that's that nagging feeling of GAS and a fast lovely super wide angle prime. I think the biggest reason for that is the Zeiss 21mm. I want something similar as I've wanted that lens!

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:07 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I am actually tossed between the PL 8-18mm and the Laowa 7.5mm ... because it's very small, rectilinear, and the f2 aperture is great for low light, aurora, and night sky photography. I need to find out how Laowa does against the PL at 8mm in terms of corner sharpness at f2.8, vignetting, etc.

Wilbus wrote:
@Jorgen Udvang@ the 8 1.8 Fisheye has been on my radar for a little while. I wasn't much interested in a fisheye from the beginning, and still not sure if I am but I've seen and read reviews of it and it does indeed seems stellar in every way. I think the biggest use would be for astro photography but I think I might find it hard to work with landscapes.

Like Bobby, I will
...Show more

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Jeffrey Behr
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

bobbytan wrote:
I am actually tossed between the PL 8-18mm and the Laowa 7.5mm ... because it's very small, rectilinear, and the f2 aperture is great for low light, aurora, and night sky photography. I need to find out how Laowa does against the PL at 8mm in terms of corner sharpness at f2.8, vignetting, etc.

I have the P/L 8-18*, Oly 4/3 (NOT M43) 7-14, and Laowa 7.5 lenses (and an EM1.2 that I love). Perhaps a month ago, I started comparing the 7.5 and 8-18; results were inconclusive...meaning their results were different but approximately equal, overall...but I had not included the Oly in those tests. Then on August 22 I had my right-shoulder joint replaced, and I've done nothing but look at cameras and lenses since. Next week my arm sling comes off and I'll test these three lenses. Frankly, I hope the 8-18 proves no better than the other two, since its resale value is higher than that of the others.

* My 2nd; my first was quite soft on one side; B&H replaced it quickly.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Decentering appears to be a fairly common problem, so one has to check and make sure that their copy of the lens is not decentered. ML review and comparison with other lenses:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/micro-four-thirds-lenses/laowa-7-5mm-mft-wide-angle-zooms/

Jeffrey Behr wrote:
I have the P/L 8-18*, Oly 4/3 (NOT M43) 7-14, and Laowa 7.5 lenses (and an EM1.2 that I love). Perhaps a month ago, I started comparing the 7.5 and 8-18; results were inconclusive...meaning their results were different but approximately equal, overall...but I had not included the Oly in those tests. Then on August 22 I had my right-shoulder joint replaced, and I've done nothing but look at cameras and lenses since. Next week my arm sling comes off and I'll test these three lenses. Frankly, I hope the 8-18 proves no better than the other two, since its
...Show more

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Wilbus wrote:
@Jorgen Udvang@ it does sound quite interesting. I will wait and see what happens, maybe I will settle on the 8-18, I think it will serve me better then a fisheye but who knows. I am in no real hurry but will settle for the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO as the perfect travel/hiking setup again. Between those two, for me, I really have everything one could possibly need for most scenarios.

But... that's that nagging feeling of GAS and a fast lovely super wide angle prime. I think the biggest reason for that is the Zeiss 21mm. I want something
...Show more

The Zeiss 21mm is indeed the gold standard. I had it (the ZF.2) with the D810, and have often considered buying a full frame camera again for that lens alone.

If I buy the Zuiko fisheye, it will not be my only ultra WA. I already bought the Panasonic 7-14mm. The nice thing with m4/3 is that carrying both isn't too much of a hassle. Their combined weight is around the same as the Zeiss 21mm

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password