New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

NEF files to ACR to PS, what is the resultant file, exactly

Andrew Pece Photography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEF files to ACR to PS, what is the resultant file, exactly

I have had this question for a long time. When you do all your raw adjustments in ACR and have now taken your photo into photoshop, it is labeled at the top as a nef file until you save it as something. I have always wondered, what exactly is the format type of the file as it sits in photoshop before you save it? It certainly isn't a jpeg, and you don't have access to the data from the nef file any longer with ps adjustments. Any thoughts on what exactly it is? I surmise it is just the resultant pixels from the data and adjustments from the nef file, which has no format until saved?

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:09 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEF files to ACR to PS, what is the resultant file, exactly

Most all proprietary RAW files, especially NEF, are a derivative form of TIFF file from a pixel data structure standpoint. The main differences between the proprietary RAW and a standard TIFF is in how and where the supporting metadata is stored, which is why third party RAW software developers must re-invent the wheel with most every new camera introduced. While Ps may be indicating that your image is an NEF file until you save it, it ceased being a RAW file once you opened it into Ps.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:21 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEF files to ACR to PS, what is the resultant file, exactly

I would think it is not a file in the normal sense, but memory content. i.e. a combination of system RAM and/or system page files and/or Ps scratch files and/or an ACR cache file - none of it meant to be recognisable by us. If you don't save it then you'll lose it. An original raw file is probably not changed at all, or possibly just with a new capture date, etc., but jpeg files could be changed significantly if and when you save over them.

Sep 09, 2017 at 08:55 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEF files to ACR to PS, what is the resultant file, exactly

Thanks for the responses. It being a derivative of a tiff is very informative.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password