FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Leica Service Questions

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica Service Questions

retrofocus wrote:
Honestly if I would read this in a managing function at Leica, I would have a word with the head of the Leica NJ facility. Seems a lot needs severe improvement there.

I'm not sure it's unique to Leica NJ, though at least in the EU one can/could pay additional for expedited servicing. I recall discussions about how bad it was for anyone in Australia because most servicing had to be done by Germany, at least until recently. And Adam could chime in about the situation in Asia

I have twice arranged drop-in RF adjustment at Leica NJ when 'in the neighborhood' and both times the CSR was extremely aware of and apologetic about the long service turnaround times, when pressed about this topic in person. This was several years ago.

Maybe it's all part of the masochistic Leica ownership experience? Pay a lot of money for gear and fall in love with it despite all its quirks. Then when it needs servicing (and it will because a lot of it is mechanical and requires periodic tuning), your beloved gear is withheld for insufferable durations.

Or it's a sales tactic to force those intent on always using their Leica gear to buy sufficient backups for the inevitable service periods?

In any case, by my logic, the current service performance is not remotely in-line with Leica's pre-sales and user experiences and definitely not what one would expect from a premium brand.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:03 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica Service Questions

rscheffler wrote:
I'm not sure it's unique to Leica NJ, though at least in the EU one can/could pay additional for expedited servicing. I recall discussions about how bad it was for anyone in Australia because most servicing had to be done by Germany, at least until recently. And Adam could chime in about the situation in Asia

I have twice arranged drop-in RF adjustment at Leica NJ when 'in the neighborhood' and both times the CSR was extremely aware of and apologetic about the long service turnaround times, when pressed about this topic in person. This was several years ago.

Maybe it's
...Show more

No clue about the why's, I believe it is simply cost-cutting by Leica, and locations in other countries outside of Germany (especially in the US) might suffer most. Seems to be a quite profitable business for third party repair services which do the job normally Leica itself is supposed to do (but doesn't do, or it takes too much time etc).

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica Service Questions

I unfortunately couldn't reach DAG, I called and couldn't leave a message, phone just rang and rang and didn't get a call back from the other independent operator mentioned on this thread (not to knock either of them at all, life is not perfect). I did talk to Camera West, my local camera shop, and amazingly, all I had to do was drop my body off with them and they offered to pack and ship the camera to NJ free of charge. Having a good relationship with Leica, they let me know that they would act as an advocate of sorts, joking that they had a "red phone" meaning they could easily get ahold of people there, something that allayed my fears of my camera dropping into a black hole as some have described. But, still--no quicker than an two month turn around time.

This kind of timetable is definitely the anti-convenience experience, but then again, so is using a 240 so strangely enough, I wasn't even that miffed about it and took Camera West's kind offer.

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:41 PM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica Service Questions

Jack Thompson wrote:
So--tested my M240 at a Leica dealer with a 50 summicron wide open. All shots wide open came back out of focus. Rangefinder patch not aligning at infinity on that lens either. The good folks at that shop said they would happily ship the camera to NJ for me and pick up the cost, which I think is very cool, they confirmed 2 month wait for repairs. Tried to reach others mentioned today without success, left a message with Sherry, couldn't leave one with DAG, but I'll keep trying before deciding what to do.

Thanks again all.

I am under the impression that you can calibrate infinity on the rangefinder of a digital M on your own if you have a lens that you know to be correctly calibrated. Perhaps this is also an option if you're not squirmy about taking the dot off.

Zeiss has been surprisingly good with repairs in my experience, although they did send a lens back from Germany once that was only partially repaired. Turnarounds were quick though and they even found a loaner 15mm Distagon for me when I overhauled my 18mm.

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password