FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Leica Service Questions

Jack Thompson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Service Questions

Hey Leica folks,

Very recently purchased a used M240 and am shooting it with a ZM 35 Distagon, purchased new. Focus wide open is off, tested it a few times, and am confident it isn't my eye sight or other user error. I'm assuming its time to send the lens and the body in for calibration, and it seems like the good word is that I send to NJ. But I've spent some time on Leica's website and the only official service form I can find is for service in Germany. If I'd not had others (including reps at a Leica store) tell me NJ is the service center in the US, I'd assume from the website that I'd be sending everything to Germany. Am I missing something obvious on the web regarding NJ, or what? I spent a decent time looking and came up with zilch, except, Germany.

As I was having doubts about me and rangefinders anyway, I had the impulse to just sell the body. Having only tried my 35 ZM D on it and finding it not calibrated, I was a bit unsure of the ethics of this. On one hand, I'm getting the impression that buying a used M240 and assuming it will work with your fast glass out of the box is a matter of luck and that I wouldn't be passing on something defective to the next person who just bought the body (I'd likely keep the 35 ZM for my A7RII) and if I sold them together, I'd do so with full disclosure that they'd need a trip to Leica. Does that track?

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:20 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Service Questions

Yes, you send it to NJ. You can also send it to Germany if you want to, but it's not necessary and likely will be more costly for shipping, etc. Be warned that Leica NJ's service turnaround times can be very long... 1-2 months on average. Apparently they might be a bit faster for the latest digital Ms. Also, I'm not sure they will touch the Zeiss lens if you send it with the camera. I suspect not. The M240 will be calibrated to a specific preset to which Leica's lenses 'should' also be calibrated to ensure proper out of the box rangefinder focusing.

If you want to sell it sooner than later, then disclosure of the focus issue is likely the way to go. That said, it might be the camera, or it could be the lens. Without another lens or two to get a feel for mis-focus consistency, it's difficult to know. IIRC, there has been debate about whether the Zeiss ZM lenses were properly designed for Leica as opposed to proper focusing with their own Zeiss Ikon cameras (now discontinued) and possibly a very, very small difference in film/sensor to lens flange distance than Leica's standard. I'm not sure this is definitely the case or not. Anyway, I started off with a few ZM lenses and they were all slightly off on the M9 at the time. It was most evident with the 50/2 and less so with the 35/2.8 and 21/2.8

If you're adventurous, you can look up how to adjust the rangefinder yourself.

While it's not ideal, it's possible to accurately focus the M240 when the rangefinder is mis-calibrated. You need to do a bunch of test shots at various distances and keep a mental note of how far off the RF patch is from proper convergence, and in which direction. This is easiest done by focusing with live view then checking the RF patch's alignment. Or you just shoot a lot and constantly check the results until you're consistently hitting proper focus. It's not ideal, but it works.

I'm about 7 years into RF shooting/ownership and found it takes a while to get a hang of it. If you think it might work for you, you should at least give yourself some time to be sure.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:20 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Service Questions

Suggest you call to talk to them first, find out price and wait time. I've only had generally good experience with them but it depends on your expectations

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Repair-Maintenance

Roxana D. Lynch
Customer Care Administrative Manager
Customer Care Department
Leica Camera Inc.
201-962-9931

As Ron mentioned, try with another lens (borrow or try at a store if you have to) to see if its lens, body or both.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:40 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Service Questions

Is Roxana still there? I thought I heard otherwise... When I sent in my M9 for sensor replacement, I received a message from Sarah Mayville, but the email was the generic one below. The message's signature was:

Phone: (+1) 800-222-0118
Fax no.: (201) 995-1686
E-Mail: [email protected]

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:43 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Service Questions

I spoke to her a few weeks back when I had issues with M10.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:56 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Service Questions

I'd send it to Don Goldberg or Sherry Krauter before I'd send it to Leica. Faster service, better service, lower cost.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:57 AM
AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Service Questions

Yeah I have to be honest. I did not have a good experience with Leica NJ's quality of service or complete and total lack of communication. I don't like to openly bash companies, because I understand things happen, but when I was trying to get a 28mm Summicron serviced last year because it was literally coming apart it took a total of 4 months and and three return trips to get it right (each time it would be returned in a different state of disrepair...).

I was also never able to get someone to reply to my numerous emails and every time I would call I was unable to get through to ANYONE, not even an operator. I had to ultimately call a contact I'd made at the Leica Store SF and get the direct line for someone higher up at Leica NJ and called them directly. That finally got things moving.

It was a truly poor customer service experience and it really disappointed me to say the least. Granted I still use their products, and will continue to do so, but I am quite reluctant to ever use them for service again unless it's absolutely my only choice.

Now, that being said, I also have an M240 and the same ZM 35mm Distagon and the focus with my lens is perfectly calibrated with no adjustment. I also use a ZM 28mm and a ZM 50mm Planar which also have no focus issues on my M240 (or my M-A film body). So it is definitely reasonable to expect that Zeiss lenses will focus accurately on Leica M bodies.

I would personally reach out to Don Goldberg (DAG Camera) and see if he can look at your lens and body together and adjust them for you. He's always been more than helpful for me.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:07 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Service Questions

Does DAG work on digital cameras? Even for focus calibration...?

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:17 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica Service Questions

Yes, he can work on digital camera. And his job is awesome. I am a picky customer and I know some lenses are difficult to work and he did tremendous job.

His communication is not super fast though because I know he is very busy.

I would not send Leica service if the product is out of warranty.

rscheffler wrote:

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:35 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica Service Questions

AbramG wrote:
Yeah I have to be honest. I did not have a good experience with Leica NJ's quality of service or complete and total lack of communication. I don't like to openly bash companies, because I understand things happen, but when I was trying to get a 28mm Summicron serviced last year because it was literally coming apart it took a total of 4 months and and three return trips to get it right (each time it would be returned in a different state of disrepair...).

I was also never able to get someone to reply to my numerous emails and every
...Show more

My experience was similar, with several different repairs. I won't go into details but service and/or repairs that Leica either couldn't or wouldn't do, or made matters worse, while taking an inordinate length of time were quickly handled by Don with excellent results.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica Service Questions

My recently experience with service and communications from Leica UK (and Germany) were all excellent - exceeded my expectations.

As for buying one used, I don't think the rangefinder mechanisms are particularly sensitive on these models. I think they were more sensitive on the M9 - but never used one, so take that with a pinch of salt. I think if you buy from a user, you can ask all these sorts of questions out focus accuracy and how much use it's had etc and make an informed buying decision. If you're buying from a big store or somewhere that is just trading bodies to try and make as much cash as quickly as possible, you'll get what is expected.

If you've only tested one lens, I'd be reluctant to send it in. Try another lens and really test this carefully before sending it in.

I've bought two used ones from people who have looked after their camera... both focus spot on with 1.4 and 1.5 lenses wide open.

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:05 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica Service Questions

rscheffler wrote:

zhangyue wrote:
Yes, he can work on digital camera. And his job is awesome. I am a picky customer and I know some lenses are difficult to work and he did tremendous job.

His communication is not super fast though because I know he is very busy.

I would not send Leica service if the product is out of warranty.

Thanks Michael, good to know! My impression was 3rd party Leica service people wouldn't touch digital cameras.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:17 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica Service Questions

I have only sent Leica film bodies and Leica lenses to Don but he has been amazing - every time. He is very meticulous and likes to do things the proper way first time around. He has even "re-repaired" certain things which were recently completed by other well known Leica repair individuals. Highly recommended. Also for some background information, I have not heard of many (any?) individuals having focus issues with their ZM35D on M240 body. Not saying it can't happen - just may be quite rare. I assume you tested focus carefully? Tripod, timer, LV verification of focus point, etc? I found one of those focus scale test charts was very useful....

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:56 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica Service Questions

Before reaching out to DAG or Leica, I suggest you go to the Leica store or any store that sells M lenses and test a few more. Make sure it's not the lens first before you do anything. You definitely don't want to adjust your camera yourself to suit your lens and then later your camera is off with ALL lenses because you messed with it.

That or just send the whole outfit to DAG but if you want to sell the M240 and keep the ZM, I'd check to see what's the problem.. Because if the ZM is off (they can be, even brand new) then it's not a big deal on a mirrorless body like you plan on using it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:09 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica Service Questions

Thanks to all posters for your great information, I really appreciate it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:28 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica Service Questions

So--tested my M240 at a Leica dealer with a 50 summicron wide open. All shots wide open came back out of focus. Rangefinder patch not aligning at infinity on that lens either. The good folks at that shop said they would happily ship the camera to NJ for me and pick up the cost, which I think is very cool, they confirmed 2 month wait for repairs. Tried to reach others mentioned today without success, left a message with Sherry, couldn't leave one with DAG, but I'll keep trying before deciding what to do.

Thanks again all.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:41 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica Service Questions

AbramG wrote:

I was also never able to get someone to reply to my numerous emails and every
...Show more

Unfortunately I made a sort of similar experience here in NJ but it didn't take me far. I had purchased a M3 which needed CLA and repair of stuck shutter. I sent an email to the repair facility in NJ inquiring if they would still repair M3 cameras. This was two months ago. I am still waiting for any kind of response. After a few days without response I searched online for third party repair services, and decided to go with one of them - a decision I have zero regret about, very good communication and fast turnaround time. Hint: I stayed away from third party services which sell old Leica parts on their website upfront......possible that they might be reliable, but I I was afraid that they could just say that my M3 is broken beyond repair to get a cheap price for it to fix it either up for resale or use parts of it.....

Honestly if I would read this in a managing function at Leica, I would have a word with the head of the Leica NJ facility. Seems a lot needs severe improvement there.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:32 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica Service Questions

Leica NJ service - as I mentioned, it is best to call them - they have very high volume of work. Items they have repaired to my satisfaction - M9, M240, S2, M lenses, S lenses .. speaks volume for Leica reliability?

Don (DAG) is also excellent, I have sent lenses for him to collimate, 6 bit coding, CLA. Never disappointed. And he is my trusted supplier for black dots For older Leica gear (film) or lenses - DAG is an excellent alternative and saves you some $$.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:54 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica Service Questions

Hint: I stayed away from third party services which sell old Leica parts on their website upfront......possible that they might be reliable, but I I was afraid that they could just say that my M3 is broken beyond repair to get a cheap price for it to fix it either up for resale or use parts of it.....

I've used two such repair services and have not been disappointed with either.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:54 AM
khiromu
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica Service Questions

I have used DAG for RF re-calibration on M8 several years ago, and it took two weeks and about $150 excluding the shipping cost.
Hiromu

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password