FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       10       end

L-Bracket for D850

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · L-Bracket for D850

Just a wild hunch but I'm guessing that they will sell many more of the D850-UL plates versus the other.

On a side note, I just ordered a new really Right Stuff plate for my D500 from B&H versus Really Right Stuff simply because of free shipping versus $7 shipping.... No biggie but it does exist. I can go 34 more miles in my Jeep with the savings!

Oct 01, 2017 at 12:58 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · L-Bracket for D850

@ckcarr: :-)

Edited on Oct 01, 2017 at 05:32 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:30 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · L-Bracket for D850

Kirk vs RRS: I have used both and seem to like them equally. In all your experiences: is one better than the other. There is almost $40 difference between the two and as ckcarr said: I can go lot of miles in that $40

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:32 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · L-Bracket for D850

Fit and finish, no, they're the same. Comes down to features. I really like, for example, the QD attachment points on RRS, for a strap.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:10 PM
kennebunk larry

Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · L-Bracket for D850

I placed two separate orders directly with RRS. I first bought the 1 piece L bracket and then the 2 piece L bracket for my D850 and there was free USPS shipping on both orders.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:50 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · L-Bracket for D850

@kennebunk larry: what delivery dates are they giving you?

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:37 PM
SDshooter

p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · L-Bracket for D850

Venky wrote:
I use this extensively and works very well.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html?sts=pi

I've used this one for years and love that it will fit any of my cameras (D610, D700, D750, D850). The only thing I don't like about it is that the camera can twist on it - particularly in a vertical orientation. The extra lip on a Kirk/RRS bracket are valuable for that reason. I wish that one of the universal brackets would include something solid to stop a camera from rotating when the rubber grip isn't sufficient.

Wm

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:42 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · L-Bracket for D850

The main point of an A-S fitting, as opposed to the other common standard, Manfrotto, is the anti-twist. I finally moved to Arca-Swiss after a camera twisted on a Manfrotto mount during a virtual tour session. Didn't notice until I got back to the office, had to do an enormous amount of manual stitching to get the tour to work - very lucky that the twist didn't leave blank locations in the spherical panoramas.

Never again.

Oct 12, 2017 at 03:00 PM
SDshooter

p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · L-Bracket for D850

FYI I just put my Kirk bracket for my D750 on my D850 and it fits snugly! A very very slight gap between the side and the vertical part of the bracket, but minimal - and probably the way I'd position it anyways. The lip along the front fits the front of the D850 almost perfectly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm46rjy8jmsexrm/Kirk750on850.jpg?dl=0

Edited on Oct 12, 2017 at 06:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2017 at 03:56 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · L-Bracket for D850

Great find - there may be some used D750 brackets on eBay / FM, at substantial savings.

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · L-Bracket for D850

For now I am using a 100mm long base plate until I can learn more about the RRS Ultralight L plate. The standard Kirk looks to be better than the standard RRS design for the D850, but the Ultralight would be advantageous as I tend to leave the L plate attached all the time, even when not needing it.

Spending $3300 on the D850 and another $50 on a Bluetooth adapter and another $30 on a neoprene camera strap and another $340 on a couple of XQD cards and $68 for a XQD card reader, and eventually $370 for a MB-D18 battery pack, the additional $140 to buy a top notch L plate is not something I plan to skimp on.

Oct 12, 2017 at 06:11 PM
tek9
• •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · L-Bracket for D850

I just got a shipment notification from RRS for the ultralight plate - I guess they've started fulfilling preorders.

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · L-Bracket for D850

Good to know - thanks!

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:22 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · L-Bracket for D850

My D850 STILL hasn't arrived but I can tell you my RRS ultralight L bracket arrived today.... observations:
1. SO much lighter
2. Simpler layout/ less clutter
3. The packaging looks much more finished/professional
4. I'd ABSOLUTELY recommend others exchange

Oct 21, 2017 at 01:19 AM
gpelpel
• •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · L-Bracket for D850

Got my RRS L-Bracket (original, not the ultralight) just before a 4 day trip to the Eastern Sierra. I intended to send it back in exchange for the lighter one and use a generic one in the meantime. I decided to keep it:
Here are my observations:

- This thing is super light. With both wrenches clipped-in it's about the same weight as the Sunwayfoto bracket I have on the D750 (no wrench on that one).
- It is still possible to attach the camera strap to the camera. The screw that goes through the camera eyelet is optional. I don't see any need for it as it defeats the ability of easily removing the side plate.
- I like the extra length of the side plate compared to traditional L-plates. It doesn't seem much at first look (12mm) but it seemed to make the switch from landscape to portrait a bit faster in the field. It also offers a better protection on the side of the camera.
- The inclusion of the 2 wrenches in the plate is very well thought out and adds convenience for any situation a cable needs to be attached to side of the camera.
- The thickness of the side element seems identical in both versions.

Oct 24, 2017 at 09:20 PM
ATX353
• •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · L-Bracket for D850

Received my Ultra Light from RRS. I like its more simple design. The weight savings is nice as well, but the two piece definitely looks nicer. Since I don't anticipate using the L feature extended, I'm going to stick with the lighter one.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:21 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · L-Bracket for D850

B&H currently has inventory of the Kirk plate. I bought the RRS Ultralight but my second choice would have been the Kirk plate. Having the hex wrenches attached to the L plate adds no value for me whatsoever.

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:55 PM
timbyers

p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · L-Bracket for D850

What I don't get is why the non-L bracket plates always run parallel to the body.

I've been waiting for a bracket where the 'arca-swiss" compatible attachment runs parallel with the lens.

This would allow you to mount to a tripod where the center of gravity between the body and lens is, rather than mounting under the body.

It can't be only me that has very heavy lenses that don't have built-in lens support.

Our new house will have a dedicated shop. I always planned on building a CNC machine. If I can do it within the planned 4-axis, maybe I'll mill my own.

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:59 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · L-Bracket for D850

If that is what you need then get the RRS 192 Rail and FAS Clam. I use something similar for panos where all I need is a nodal point adjustment that varies by lens focal length.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:10 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · L-Bracket for D850

timbyers wrote:
What I don't get is why the non-L bracket plates always run parallel to the body.

I've been waiting for a bracket where the 'arca-swiss" compatible attachment runs parallel with the lens.

This would allow you to mount to a tripod where the center of gravity between the body and lens is, rather than mounting under the body.

It can't be only me that has very heavy lenses that don't have built-in lens support.

Our new house will have a dedicated shop. I always planned on building a CNC machine. If I can do it within the planned 4-axis, maybe I'll mill my
...Show more

If your lenses are that heavy they should have a support or else you will damage your mount.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:15 PM
       9       10       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

9       10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password