1       2      
       4              9       10       end

L-Bracket for D850

reggieb
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · L-Bracket for D850

sjms wrote:
that "comparative advantage" is pretty highly selective. the "comparative" portion has a highly personal variable attached to it.

For sure, which is why one brand like RRS continues to exist and produce goods that you and Elijah love - and if it increases your well being to pay a little extra for them, who am I to say you shouldn't? But there is also a (larger) place in the market for brands that cost less. Those that aren't CNC machined on this side of the pond. So if you like them, buy them. But a much larger part of the (very healthy and vibrant) US manufacturing sector will for a long time likely be larger durable goods, because while there are some willing to pay more for a brand like RRS, there are more who would rather save money and get something less expensive.

ckcarr wrote:
No substance to back up these claims?
To refute what I stated - I suggest... Dig deep, find numbers to substantiate all you said. If you do, then I'll take a look. But right now what you've said is all bar talk.

Output per hour for all workers in the US manufacturing sector has increased by more than 2.5 times since 1987. Durable goods manufacturers have seen even greater growth, almost tripling its labor productivity over that time frame.

According to the BLS, output per hour from US manufacturing worker is more than double that of their compatriot in Taiwan. ($73.45 vs $34.06)

This isn't controversial, I figured I would provide a tweak to your numbers without needing to give you any...this is pretty well known stuff. If you've been inside American factories, you can see it at work. More robots doing the job, as they're faster, more precise, and can run 24 hours a day. One worker at a factory that I worked in as a teenager at now runs a robot that does the job that a dozen welders used to do. They just added an enormous new addition to make parts with a robot from Switzerland, the 40,000 square foot addition will produce enormous amount of treads for them, and employ 2 people. But man those 2 people will produce a whole hell of a lot of output per hour.

With regards to price, of course cost of production doesn't directly determine price, do you not believe me about that either? It has an impact, sure, but only in production decisions. If something costs you $100 to make, you aren't going to produce it if the market will only bear $80 (unless you're Cannondale making dirt bikes, but I digress), you'll stop producing them. This will shift supply leftward and thus affect the cost that way - because of your production decision. But if I can make a widget at $1, and they're being snatched up at $1,000, I'm going to take that profit.

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 12:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:03 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · L-Bracket for D850

Elijah wrote:
I'm a CNC machinist and knowing my RRS stuff is machined on a CNC, made in USA makes me happy; RRS FTW.

I was never a fan of cast/forged items from some third world country like China... there's nothing better than a product that's machined, anodized and made in the US of A.

Makes me feel like a million dollar photographer.

Well, both the Sunwayfoto as well as the RRS L-bracket are CNC-machined from 6061 Aluminium. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't take hours for a craftsman to put the aluminium block into the machine and start it up to do its work.
Also, the anodising process is fairly cheap as you can simply dip a hundred L-brackets into one bath.

So, yeah, while US production workers make much more per hour, the CNC machine they use to fabricate the L-brackets likely came from China (and it might just as well be the exact same machine that sunwayfoto uses) and doesn't cost much more to run than it does in China.

re ballheads from Sunwayfoto:
I haven't used one yet. After studying an incredibly extensive German tripod head test (Traumflieger), I went with the Tiltall BH-07 that won the entire comparison against 36 other heads, including the likes of an RRS 55 for 4x the cost and weighing 3x as much (basically because of these drawbacks, because the RRS had slightly better dampening and could carry 500gr more). The RRS 40 was so far off that it's outright laughable but not as ridiculous as the Gitzo head they tested.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · L-Bracket for D850

you know as a teacher one should be aware of your sources and test criteria and such. most testing is in a word flawed. like many they are enthusiasts to say the least. some objectivity is lost along the way. I put it simply, so called judgement is always objectively subjective. I find that the BH40 and the 30 have served me quite well over the years I've been using them. so what is laughable to you (and I won't comment further on that at that point) are very usable tools for a technician who knows how to use them properly.

a quickly done image using a set of TFC14 (my travel tripod set) tripod and the even smaller wobbly BH30 head D7200 and Sigma 150/2.8 macro.

second shot is a 100% crop.

i'm sorry it only 30s long. with all that laughing in the background I was "afraid" of blur from external sources.

NIKON D7200    150.0 mm f/2.8 lens    150mm    f/16.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D7200    150.0 mm f/2.8 lens    150mm    f/16.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

TFC-14/BH30 combo support

NIKON D7200    16.0-80.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    55mm    3s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:52 PM
dasams
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · L-Bracket for D850

Back on topic, has anyone attached a D800 or D810 L bracket to the D850? I was 12 hrs late ordering my D850 and don't expect it for a month or so.

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:53 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · L-Bracket for D850

the basic issue will most likely be the clearance for the screen movemnent

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · L-Bracket for D850

here is your real world answer

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:35 PM
MikeInPa

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · L-Bracket for D850

I bought a Sunwayfoto bracket for my D800 some years ago. It was badly machined. Twice the D800 nearly fell to floor because it seemed to be tight in my RRS BH-55 ballhead but wasn't. Since then I've stuck with RRS exclusively.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · L-Bracket for D850

MikeInPa wrote:
I bought a Sunwayfoto bracket for my D800 some years ago. It was badly machined. Twice the D800 nearly fell to floor because it seemed to be tight in my RRS BH-55 ballhead but wasn't. Since then I've stuck with RRS exclusively.

again, you get what you pay for....

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:14 AM
Danner
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · L-Bracket for D850

sjms wrote:

Looks like the D850 has a better-positioned tripod mount.

Too bad about the older camera plates not working on the D850.

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:35 AM
dasams
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · L-Bracket for D850

sjms wrote:

Looks like I'll be buying RRS L-bracket #4. First was for D200 & D300, then one for D700 and another for D800. Thanks, Dave

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · L-Bracket for D850

as will I and its already on order

are you going to live forever?

me on Nikon alone:
D3
D700
D4/D4s
D7000
D7200
D500

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:33 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · L-Bracket for D850

Damn, that's more money on l-brackets than I spent on all my tripod accessories combined.. (including the tripod, two different ballheads, 4 l-brackets, macro slider, etc.)

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · L-Bracket for D850

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
Damn, that's more money on l-brackets than I spent on all my tripod accessories combined.. (including the tripod, two different ballheads, 4 l-brackets, macro slider, etc.)

and all that I no longer have were sold to satisfied end users and funded further purchases.

I have invested more in what I consider good tools over the years. not as much as one thinks though. there are certain components that I consider "consumables". and yes I do stay within a budget. my use of equipment is pretty much a closed eco system that feeds itself as needed. it also supplies income to myself, the state and federal govt.

I had a few canon brackets from my experiences with their equipment previous to 2008.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM
ericbowles

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · L-Bracket for D850

I've got the D850 in hand and have a D800E as well as other cameras.

The D850 base has a slightly more rounded front than some other Nikons, but the real issue is the tilt LCD. The tilt LCD requires a different plate on the bottom so the D800 D810 plate will not work wihtout modification.

I have a RRS L-bracket on order.

On an interim basis, I ground off the rear lip for an older 2 piece D7000 L-bracket. The front of the bracket does fit and the slot for mounting allows me to position it with adequate clearance on the left side.

The big issue with generic plates and L-brackets is the tend to rotate slightly and gradually loosen. Sooner or later - at the worst time - the bracket is loose and you don't have a wrench handy. Last time that happened to me was with a new camera on a trail 5 miles from the car and my wrench.

The RRS plates - and others - are a little expensive. But the are well designed and stay on my camera virtually all the time. 90% of my photos are from a tripod and I take 35,000 photos per year. In the scheme of things, I want the consistency of the RRS products including the dovetail that fits snugly. I've used other plates occasionally and while they fit, the dovetails have a different angle and are slightly less secure.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · L-Bracket for D850

I just keep one "universal" base plate around till the proper one arrives. i'm not into cutting and hacking even older stuff that I can sell even at reduced price.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:27 PM
phototoronto

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · L-Bracket for D850

I upgraded from D810 to D850 and my RRS BD810L bracket works just fine on the D850 (for my needs). My camera is wrapped in gaffer's tape and I don't use the side inputs (hdmi,usb, microphone, etc). L bracket fits perfectly on the D850 so don't see a need to buy a new one. Same thing goes for D3 brackets on the D4 series cameras... the side inputs are tough to open, but if you don't need them, the older L bracket works perfectly.

https://imgur.com/hi0s6ES

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:08 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · L-Bracket for D850

Are you saying that the tilt screen works perfectly fine also?

phototoronto wrote:

I upgraded from D810 to D850 and my RRS BD810L bracket works just fine on the D850 (for my needs). My camera is wrapped in gaffer's tape and I don't use the side inputs (hdmi,usb, microphone, etc). L bracket fits perfectly on the D850 so don't see a need to buy a new one. Same thing goes for D3 brackets on the D4 series cameras... the side inputs are tough to open, but if you don't need them, the older L bracket works perfectly.

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · L-Bracket for D850

Maybe a stupid question... why do you wrap your cam in gaffers tape?!

phototoronto wrote:

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · L-Bracket for D850

phototoronto wrote:

may i impose on you to shot the bottom and lower front for images of the fit.

and ladies and gentlemen observe the statement in the brackets: "(for my needs)"

i like how you taped the living daylights out of your camera body to help prevent rotation and possible scratching of your camera.

Edited on Sep 18, 2017 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:43 PM
phototoronto

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · L-Bracket for D850

Gaffers tape doesn't really leave any residue and if you use the camera a lot, prevents it from scratches or wear.

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:47 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password