New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

L-Bracket for D850

dasams
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L-Bracket for D850

Has anyone that's handled a D850 tried to fit a D800 L-Bracket? Would be nice it it worked

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L-Bracket for D850

tell Nikon to stop "refining" the shape and it might.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:53 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L-Bracket for D850

sjms wrote:
tell Nikon to stop "refining" the shape and it might.

Tell me about it ... they sure are helping keep RRS in business.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L-Bracket for D850

for the amount I buy its not a big deal. the lesser ones don't do what the RRS ones can so in the end its not worth going cheap. if you look on the RRS site the have a baseline design up already.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:26 AM
daggah
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L-Bracket for D850

I have this permanently attached to my camera (camera agnostic) for the ability to permanently use a BlackRapid strap without interfering with tripod use:

https://customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro

Then I have a universal l-bracket with built-in arca clamp that simply clamps onto the M-Plate Pro and then can be mounted on a tripod.

I've yet to see any reason why this universal setup is worse than the model-specific l-brackets that are sold for $150+ for what basically amounts to an l-shaped piece of metal.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L-Bracket for D850

honestly, if you can't "see" the use for one you don't need it. fortunately for those that do have uses for it there are some well designed ones out there to fit their needs.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:59 AM
daggah
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L-Bracket for D850

sjms wrote:
honestly, if you can't "see" the use for one you don't need it. fortunately for those that do have uses for it there are some well designed ones out there to fit their needs.

And what I am challenging others to explain is why or how an expensive specialized l-bracket is an improvement over the universal setup I described. What does a RRS bracket that costs $150+ do better?

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L-Bracket for D850

yes

I see your plate setup as a layered kluge of poorly designed options.

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:16 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L-Bracket for D850

It's done the job perfectly every single time I've needed to shoot in portrait on my tripod, and since none of it's proprietary to my camera model, it can easily be moved to a new camera. When it's not needed, it's not in the way. I've never had a shot ruined from the l-bracket being unstable and it's never come loose on me.

The M-Plate Pro permanently attached to my camera has also never failed me, while ensuring that my BlackRapid strap never conflicts with tripod mounting. However, I am planning to switch to the Peak Design system...but that's hardly an issue as the l-bracket will continue to work the exact same way.

I challenge you to show how my solution is "poorly designed." But I doubt I'll get a detailed explanation...

Edit: actually, I'll go a step further and say that my usability is enhanced by my approach when compared to buying a RRS camera-specific model. My approach supplies that previously mentioned strap attachment point without interfering with tripod use; I'd have to constantly unscrew the strap attachment on a RRS plate. When I switch to the Peak Design system, the l-bracket I currently have will play much more nicely with their capture clip system...unmounting the l-bracket from my tripod plate will take all of 3 seconds.

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L-Bracket for D850

it's what works for you if you don't need one its not for you to use.

I have instant access to all the ports in the positions I use with the straps I use. no proprietary options needed.

no strap interference and in fact with some straps multiple points of connection as wanted.

I never have to remove my L plate

its also not like I buy a bakers dozen every year.

I had the peak design strap and tossed it after I found its overall usability to be limited. like many I have my own preferences in usability. parts on it that serve no purpose and such.

moving from the vertical to horizontal requires minimal recomp.

Edited on Sep 06, 2017 at 01:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

daggah
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L-Bracket for D850

Not sure you understand the definition of the word "proprietary" when your example has you using an expensive tailor-made l-bracket that only works on one specific camera model, vs the setup I've described working with any camera only requiring a standard arca-swiss plate permanently attached to the camera. The M-Plate Pro as described is only there to provide a BlackRapid attachment point; if I didn't use that system it wouldn't have even been mentioned. I've never needed access to those side panels while using an l-bracket but if that were important to me, I could probably adjust the clamp alignment to enable that.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:00 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · L-Bracket for D850

People who shop at Harbor Freight think Snap-on tools are a rip off also. To each their own.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · L-Bracket for D850

daggah wrote:
Not sure you understand the definition of the word "proprietary" when your example has you using an expensive tailor-made l-bracket that only works on one specific camera model, vs the setup I've described working with any camera only requiring a standard arca-swiss plate permanently attached to the camera. The M-Plate Pro as described is only there to provide a BlackRapid attachment point; if I didn't use that system it wouldn't have even been mentioned. I've never needed access to those side panels while using an l-bracket but if that were important to me, I could probably adjust the clamp alignment
...Show more

I will repeat myself yet again: if you can't "see" the use for one you don't need it

if you had a use for one you'd never take it off because you'd be using it and wouldn't need to.

Edited on Sep 06, 2017 at 01:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · L-Bracket for D850

I wish they'd build a camera with an ARCA rail molded into the bottom.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · L-Bracket for D850

Danner wrote:
I wish they'd build a camera with an ARCA rail molded into the bottom.

sigma offered that option on one of their feet.

I prefer a non integrated option so that I can choose my variables.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · L-Bracket for D850

on the M-Plate:
they put that "pod" extension out in front of the AS portion so you don't need to remove the strap connector. it has a habit of getting in the way of some other camera parts. I have a "thing" for having to remove plates to accommodate other things. straps are variables

my straps I have 2 options:

1- type 1 screws on (using the C-Loop made by the same outfit that makes the M-Plate) and off from the plates 1/4-20 thread mount mid point on the L bracket base. it off and out of the way with no protrusions in a few seconds. this also mounts on a plethora of other devices sharing the 1/4-20 thread w/o need for additional apparatus to connect. that covers just about any camera or lens foot with or w/o an AS plate.

2- type 2 is a QD type strap that mounts to 2 optional hard points on the bracket and others I have. I also have an AS/QD adapter for those that don't have it.

both straps are highly adjustable for varying climates. I wish I was as accommodating.

straps are not used on tripods or monopods.

Edited on Sep 06, 2017 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:40 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · L-Bracket for D850

ckcarr wrote:
People who shop at Harbor Freight think Snap-on tools are a rip off also. To each their own.

Build quality arguments make a lot more sense when talking about tools frequently subjected to significant torquing forces. It doesn't make nearly as much sense when talking about an L-shaped piece of metal tasked with handling a few pounds of camera gear. (After all, once you start talking about heavier telephotos, you're not using the L-plate any more...)

But hey, anything to justify paying the Really Right Stuff tax, I guess...

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · L-Bracket for D850

daggah wrote:
Build quality arguments make a lot more sense when talking about tools frequently subjected to significant torquing forces. It doesn't make nearly as much sense when talking about an L-shaped piece of metal tasked with handling a few pounds of camera gear. (After all, once you start talking about heavier telephotos, you're not using the L-plate any more...)

true but you wouldn't be leaving your M-Plate on using some of them because it just gets in the way.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:55 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · L-Bracket for D850

To be clear, I'm not justifying any "Really Right Stuff Tax." I did that in a different thread.

It more seems that people who don't like paying the expense of higher quality gear want to start their bargain basement gear threads constantly.

daggah wrote:

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:00 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · L-Bracket for D850

The strap attachment point isn't that big. It does admittedly interfere with my 24 PC-E's controls in some orientations but I can work around the limitation without taking the plate off, and that's one issue in a very specific scenario (and one I'll resolve when I switch to the PD system)

I'm deployed to the Middle East at the moment and can't post pictures of how my setup works.

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password