Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2017 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Emile Gregoire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Good luck John, stay safe and out of harm's way. Better to be overly cautious. Path predictions currently show the east coast as the one bearing the brunt.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all people affected in the US and the Caribbean.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:26 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wish us Floridians luck...

If you must stay, hunker down tight - and good luck ~ Ron

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:31 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Good luck John; I'm hoping it tuckers-out a bit by the time it gets up here to Gainesville.

If not, I'm prepared to skedaddle, if the roads aren't totally choked-up with other's "fleeing the scene" !

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:47 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wish us Floridians luck...

We should know more by Friday.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:18 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Best of Luck to you and all in the path of this storm.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:42 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Wish us Floridians luck...

The state should open up freeways for all lanes to evacuate the areas. I saw many photos of Texas Freeways empty on one side.

While there are emergency vehicles that may need to head into the area, a designated route or two could be held open for them.

Wasn't this part of evacuation planning? Perhaps they will in Florida.

Unless there is a really pressing need to be there, I'd Head far away from any of the possible storm destinations.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:36 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Good luck to anyone in that area.

Anyone seen this? Apparently the weight of rain from Harvery caused Houston to sink 2 cm (about an inch)!!! The world of ours is both amazing, awesome and scary all at once.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:57 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Wish us Floridians luck...

It will go back up once the water subsides and some time as passed for the plates to readjust.

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:40 AM
grizz9
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Good luck from Maryland. My family is in Lehigh Acres which is just east of Ft. Meyers. I as well own a house in Lehigh so I am a very concerned bystander from afar. Insurance ca fix my house so for now thoughts are with all of you riding it out....

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:58 AM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Yes LeHigh Acres could have a problem. It appears the storm is shifting slightly to the west which moves it closer to the Gulf side.

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:59 PM
filosofem
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Best wishes to you John and to all Floridians!

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:41 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Wish us Floridians luck...

it's so big I doubt it will matter which side it is on

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:11 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Wish us Floridians luck...

rw11 wrote:
it's so big I doubt it will matter which side it is on

It matters because the area of intense destruction (for wind damage) is very narrow. Also, the amount of storm surge will be much less on the eastern coast of Florida with the new predicted track. It's looking like Miami/Dade/Broward/Palm Beach will be spared.

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:39 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Let's not forget about the rest of the Caribbean where many have no where to evacuate to. Footage coming in from some of the islands that were already hit show major devastation.

And God bless those that were hit by the devastating earthquake last night. Devastation everywhere.

Sep 08, 2017 at 07:53 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Stay safe. Have good memories from a few trips there.

Sep 09, 2017 at 08:40 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Watching CNN right now & things do not look good for a very large area of south Florida & as stubborn as I can be I'd be long gone towards the northern inland areas. The further north the better I'd feel about my safety. There will be a lot of lost homes, businesses & jobs for the near future & a huge need for construction materials & builders in Texas, Florida & who knows how many other areas by the end of hurricane season this year. I spent a winter on Big Pine Key years ago & the current path projections look terrible for the keys.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:13 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Even where I'm located, tucked up near the mountains of SC it has gotten crazy as hell around here. People are freaking out even this far up and have made a run on gas, water and propane. Personally I see no need for this level of "panic" in my area. And based on the amount of traffic, I'd guess there are a lot of Florida evacuees around here.

But the folks, like John, in Florida and all the others affected by this thing are going to need all the help and prayers they can get this weekend and long after the sky's clear.

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:39 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Wish us Floridians luck...

Wishes, and prayers, too! Keep your heads down, unless, of course, the water rises. A fast-moving, windy storm will, hopefully, dump less rain.

Harvey was not kind to us, with almost fifty inches of rain. My Canon gear fared reasonably well, overall, but our Nikon gear took a bigger hit. After the historic flood levels of Allison, in 2001, did not flood us, we thought we would be OK, except perhaps for our aging roof. Well, the roof made it OK, but the flood waters entered the house. Fortunately, our best lenses are all OK, as I made sure they were stored well above the floor.

You have my empathy, sympathy, and prayers!

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:40 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Wish us Floridians luck...

snapsy wrote:
It matters because the area of intense destruction (for wind damage) is very narrow. Also, the amount of storm surge will be much less on the eastern coast of Florida with the new predicted track. It's looking like Miami/Dade/Broward/Palm Beach will be spared.

the zone of very highest wind is about 35 miles in radius - so a 70 mile swath - as per last night's news

is that narrow?

Like the other poster said, get out now - go to another state north of FL - and maybe to the west too

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Wish us Floridians luck...

rw11 wrote:
the zone of very highest wind is about 35 miles in radius - so a 70 mile swath - as per last night's news

is that narrow?

Like the other poster said, get out now - go to another state north of FL - and maybe to the west too

Yes, it is narrow relative to the 175 to 225 mile error rate in the forecasted track. Also note that the 70 miles quoted for the wind field is for any hurricane-force winds - the wind field for the actual most intense part of the hurricane is much narrower than that, with a commensurate narrow path of intense wind damage.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:30 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.