Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

MikeInPa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

I've been using a 64Gb Lexar in my D500 . I needed another as a spare but as they were unavailable at the time from B&H I bought a Sony instead. I've tried it in my D500 and Lexar reader and it works fine. As Lexar is now owned by another company I hope they can maintain the same quality.

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:35 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

rjk55425 wrote:
Seems intuitive but how many shots in a burst do you take? I usually take short bursts and doubt I would ever run out of buffer, even with a backup SD.

I would say normally 2-3s burst which would be about 20+ shots. But it depends, sometimes I might do
4-5s bursts or longer like when I am waiting for the bird to take off or a bird flying from its resting branch to its nest, hopefully to catch the bird as it flies into its nest for example.
Earlier this year on Antarctica trip, I let my D500 went into overtime when I took pictures of penguins swimming and breaching surface as our zodiac happened to be right at the same speed with the penguins. that was a lot of fun. I think somebody mentioned somewhere that D850 will take about 7s to empty the buffer and write to the XQD once you fill its buffer. It would be much slower if SD card is in the equation which may or may not be a big deal depending on what you are doing, I think.

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:48 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Have 3 Sony and 3 Lexar XQD's, whichever one I grab is the "right choice"

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Prapanpong
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Anybody tests D850 SD card UHS-I vs UHS-II write speed? I have tested on D500 and I didn't see noticeable different so it's not worth to use UHS-II on D500, that's just for me and now I'm curious about D850.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:18 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

The supply of the Lexar cards have all but dried up in Australia and very little stock remaining. Sony XQD G series are about the best value if you can find any. I was fortunate to find a Sony 128GB G series and there is no more stock for about few weeks. I have a couple of UHS II SD cards for backup now.

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Prapanpong wrote:
Anybody tests D850 SD card UHS-I vs UHS-II write speed? I have tested on D500 and I didn't see noticeable different so it's not worth to use UHS-II on D500, that's just for me and now I'm curious about D850.

you must be joking. there is a fairly large difference in the D500 using UHS 1 vs 2. the buffer crawls to a halt because throughput is choked using 1

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:22 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Have 3 Sony and 3 Lexar XQD's, whichever one I grab is the "right choice"

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Prapanpong
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

I am not joking, I test sandisk 95mb UHS I vs 280mb UHS II and the different after buffer filled to clear buffer is about 2-2.5 sec different, that when Lexar 2933x card in slot one for raw and SD slot ffor JPG. Maybe I do something wrong but that what I did and found out UHS II is not worth to me at that time and return it.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/

SanDisk Extreme Pro 280MB/s UHS-II 32GB Write speed 138.7 MB/s

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB Write speed 84.3 MB/s

How much in the real world you will see different between 84 and 138, I don't think you will see much, since D500 can't take advantage for full speed of UHS II.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Prapanpong wrote:
I am not joking, I test sandisk 95mb UHS I vs 280mb UHS II and the different after buffer filled to clear buffer is about 2-2.5 sec different, that when Lexar 2933x card in slot one for raw and SD slot ffor JPG. Maybe I do something wrong but that what I did and found out UHS II is not worth to me at that time and return it.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/

SanDisk Extreme Pro 280MB/s UHS-II 32GB Write speed 138.7 MB/s

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB Write speed 84.3 MB/s

How much in the real world you will see different between 84
...Show more

If you are only shooting jpeg to the SD then it probably isn't that much of a difference. Try shooting RAW to the different speed SD cards and there will be a big hit on the # of shots till FPS slows.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:34 AM
nuclearjock
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Have used Lexar 2933's exclusively with no probs until they became scarce. Now using Sony "G" cards and again, zero probs.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:44 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Lexar XQD's supply is pretty much effectively gone. It's gone to stupidity prices.
At one retailer the 32GB price went almost to 64GB prices. And 128's look like they're gone.

So only Sony's G series is the only game left.

The main reason why people liked Lexar, it was cheaper and Just as fast as Sony's top offering. Maybe faster but 2-3% difference might of been just on paper.

We'll see if Delkin's "CFExpress/CFX" card is XQD 2.0 compatible in the future.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Industrial CFexpress is the merging of two standards:   XQD® 2.0 and CFAST® 2.0, into a new standard that uses the popular PCIe® interface, and the NVM Express® protocol.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

I picked up a "used/open box" Sony 256gb G XQD for $250 from Adorama... hoping it doesn't blow up on me! 😬

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:52 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Best Buy has ship to store available in my area for the Sony 64gb XQD cards. They are also offering 25% off with the purchase of three accessories so you can pick up 3 for around $88 each with tax.

It looks like 32gb and 128gb are sold out but keep checking. It seems to change daily.

Edited on Sep 28, 2017 at 04:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:57 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Thanks for the heads up! Really wish they carried the 256gb Sony!

stuuke wrote:
Best Buy has ship to store available in my area for the Sony 64gb XQD cards. They are also offering 25% off with the purchase of three accessories so you can pick up 3 for around $88 each with tax.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password