Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2017 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

XQD card and Reader.

If I want to order one before my camera (if it ships next week)

Thanks

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:24 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

The G series Sony is fast. I would choose either the 128GB or two 64GB's for the D850. And then a fast SD UHS-II card if you want to take advantage of in-camera backup.

I use the Sony reader which came with the 32GB G series cards in 2016 (they were bundled for a time).

These cards are just crazy fast and IMO very well designed.

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:34 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Sony G series

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1261720-REG/sony_qdg64e_j_64gb_xqd_g_e_memory_card.html

or

Lexar 2933x

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186720-REG/lexar_lxqd64gcrbna2933_pro_2933x_xqd_memory.html

For SD these would be the best:

Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275619-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpk_064g_ancin_extreme_pro_uhs_ii_64gb.html

or

Lexar 2000x UHS-II

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090748-REG/lexar_lsd64gcrbna2000r_pro_2000x_uhs_2.html

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

I'm happy with the Lexar 2933x.

Sep 05, 2017 at 12:28 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

The UHS-II SD cards are hella expensive, much more than XQD, even. I'm only going to use it as overflow or JPEG/video 90% of the time, so I'll wait for prices to come down and use cards I already have in the SD slot.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:26 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

aut0maticdan wrote:
The UHS-II SD cards are hella expensive, much more than XQD, even. I'm only going to use it as overflow or JPEG/video 90% of the time, so I'll wait for prices to come down and use cards I already have in the SD slot.

That is not always the case. The fastest SD cards are around the exact same price and often cheaper than XQD even with a free card reader:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090748-REG/lexar_lsd64gcrbna2000r_pro_2000x_uhs_2.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186720-REG/lexar_lxqd64gcrbna2933_pro_2933x_xqd_memory.html

Even comparing the premium Sony G XQD to Sandisk Extreme Pro SD, you're looking at an $11.50 difference on a 64GB card.

Moving up to 128GB there is still only a small premium for SD, only about $20-$50 depending on the brand.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:41 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Thanks, yeah, I'm mostly looking at 128GB right now. I'll be fine with what I have for some time. I can't imagine they'll stay $50 above the fastest XQD for long. Too bad the D850 doesn't have a dual-XQD option. I like symmetry and cheaper pricing on better stuff.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:53 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

aut0maticdan wrote:
Thanks, yeah, I'm mostly looking at 128GB right now. I'll be fine with what I have for some time. I can't imagine they'll stay $50 above the fastest XQD for long. Too bad the D850 doesn't have a dual-XQD option. I like symmetry and cheaper pricing on better stuff.

I agree 2x XQD would have been better. You'd have some existing SD card owners complaining, but it's time to rip off the band-aid and embrace the vastly superior storage medium. Most likely though it has more to do with production cost, size, and differentiating the D5 than convenience or anything else.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:07 PM
toupac
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

I've always been curious. I'm under the assumption that XQD is faster than SD. If you're using both XQD as primary and SD as the backup card, is the camera system speed bottle-necked by the SD card? In other words, does the slower SD card affect the camera's performance when used as backup option?

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:14 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

toupac wrote:
I've always been curious. I'm under the assumption that XQD is faster than SD. If you're using both XQD as primary and SD as the backup card, is the camera system speed bottle-necked by the SD card? In other words, does the slower SD card affect the camera's performance when used as backup option?

Yes, but only with regards to buffer depth. XQD is indeed faster than SD UHS-II. You get the same FPS and everything else, just a smaller buffer if the SD slot is part of the equation. One way Nikon is getting these massive buffers, or unlimited in the case of the D5/D500, is harnessing the speed at which you can offload images to the XQD cards. If you take the XQD out of the equation, it slows down to the weakest link which becomes the speed at which it can write to the SD card (around 150MB/s in the case of the D500 - no word on the D850 SD write speeds yet).

If you use SD as overflow instead of backup, there is no penalty until the XQD is full and your images begin writing to the SD card.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

CanadaMark wrote:
Yes, but only with regards to buffer depth. XQD is indeed faster than SD UHS-II. You get the same FPS and everything else, just a smaller buffer if the SD slot is part of the equation. One way Nikon is getting these massive buffers, or unlimited in the case of the D5/D500, is harnessing the speed at which you can offload images to the XQD cards. If you take the XQD out of the equation, it slows down to the weakest link which becomes the speed at which it can write to the SD card (around 150MB/s in the case
...Show more

I wonder why the UHS-II slot on the D500 is only able to write at 150MB/s? The best cards can handle double that. Having the D850 write at 300MB/s to the SD would at least improve buffer size when shooting backup to the SD. If the buffer to XQD is 51 shots then shooting to the SD is going to be substantially lower. On the D500 it is still a very large buffer writing to SD but I would guess the D850's buffer is going to be a bit disappointing when shooting to SD.

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:00 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

For action shots, I definitely won't be having SD card in d850 as it would reduce buffer size quite a bit. I use Sony XQD G card which is very reliable for most part.
However, I did have one card failure once with my D500 when I was trying to shoot in -8 to -10c temp earlier this year. After I took a couple of shots, the camera would freeze up. Removed and replaced battery and camera was ok again for a little while and same thing happened again. When I took off XQD card and left with only SD, everything was working fine so I assume it was card failure. However, after that morning, the card was working fine again and I did not have problem with that card again the rest of the trip and temperature was about the same throughout the trip. Very strange.

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:14 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Suteetat - I had the same experience with one of the early Lexar XQD cards. I sent it in to Lexar who sent me back a XQD card hand marked with the letter D. No such problems thus far with the Sony XQD cards so sticking with Sony at this time.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

arbitrage wrote:
I wonder why the UHS-II slot on the D500 is only able to write at 150MB/s? The best cards can handle double that. Having the D850 write at 300MB/s to the SD would at least improve buffer size when shooting backup to the SD. If the buffer to XQD is 51 shots then shooting to the SD is going to be substantially lower. On the D500 it is still a very large buffer writing to SD but I would guess the D850's buffer is going to be a bit disappointing when shooting to SD.

I don't know why they did it, but that seems to be the case. Maybe they deemed it fast enough, or maybe there are other things in the image processing pipeline to SD that we don't understand. Maybe they just cheaped out on the SD controller. I don't know.

The D850 is an all new camera though so it may have a smaller impact on buffer size with SD, it may not.

If this was a cost saving measure, it's definitely one that has a minimal impact. Canon does the same thing with the 1DX II and it didn't seem to bother too many people on what is arguably much more important platform that is supposed to have no compromises. I don't think it'll be a big deal for most people, just like the D500 or 1DXII.

suteetat wrote:
For action shots, I definitely won't be having SD card in d850 as it would reduce buffer size quite a bit. I use Sony XQD G card which is very reliable for most part.

You can still have a SD card in the D850, you just can't set it to backup if you want the full buffer. If you set it to overflow you're OK (until the XQD has reached maximum capacity).

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:00 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Spectro wrote:
I'm happy with the Lexar 2933x.

In the last year, I've shot over 150,000 frames with the Lexar 2933x 128gb cards, and never an issue. They've been through the wash, dented by my teeth and dropped and stepped on a number of times. I think any of the issues reported were due to using spec A readers with spec B cards.

I avoid anything and everything with the Sony name on it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

@CanadaMark
thx for your recommendations last week

I AM READY

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:27 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

la puffin wrote:
In the last year, I've shot over 150,000 frames with the Lexar 2933x 128gb cards, and never an issue. They've been through the wash, dented by my teeth and dropped and stepped on a number of times. I think any of the issues reported were due to using spec A readers with spec B cards.

I avoid anything and everything with the Sony name on it.

Since Lexar's name has been sold to a new company and all of the past QC and manufacturing policies have been discarded, it will take a few years for future buyers to discover what the new Lexar QC is.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Sony card reader, and Lexar (or is that Longsys) 2933 XQD, but not Lexar SDII, too many people reporting failures and dead ones, went for Delkin which was only a tad slower than the Lexar 2000x but had far higher + reviews and was cheaper.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:51 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

RoyC wrote:
Since Lexar's name has been sold to a new company and all of the past QC and manufacturing policies have been discarded, it will take a few years for future buyers to discover what the new Lexar QC is.

That's why I stocked up on the 2933x 128gb cards. They should be in the retail pipeline for a little while until the current stock is depleted.

Sep 07, 2017 at 10:19 AM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's the XQD Card of Choice Right Now?

Seems intuitive but how many shots in a burst do you take? I usually take short bursts and doubt I would ever run out of buffer, even with a backup SD.

suteetat wrote:
However, I did have one card failure once with my D500 when I was trying to shoot in -8 to -10c temp earlier this year. After I took a couple of shots, the camera would freeze up. Removed and replaced battery and camera was ok again for a little while and same thing happened again. When I took off XQD card and left with only SD, everything
...Show more

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.