Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

I was at the air show this past weekend and the first day I took the 5DIV and adjusted it such that writing the jpegs to the SD card and the RAW to the CF. This did help in getting a few more frames out of it before it filled the buffer.

But then yesterday I took the 1DxII to the show. In this case I was writing both files to both cards. About half way I said to myself, screw it and stopped recording the RAW files. This is when the smaller file sizes (even though they were large jpeg) and the big buffer coupled enabled me to just keep firing.

I had 128GB cards in the camera and if you have never had the opportunity to use a 1Dx or 1DxII, you need to try one. The buffer virtually never fills up and you have a machine gun firing at 12 rounds per second. You just keep firing.

When the jet comes flashing at mid flight deck and is gone in a blink of an eye it's all you can do to keep firing. I had my shutter speed set at 1:2500 or sometimes 1:3000 and the camera is just a beast at those settings. As a side note I had the ISO usually 1600 but sometimes backed down to 800 and the resulting f stop was f11 to f16.

When the propeller planes flew by I backed ISO down to 💯 with a shutter around 1:200 to get the blur of the props. My hat goes off to those that can regularly pan with the planes and get sharp images and blurred props.

My lens both days was the he Canon 200-400 f4 w/1.4x built in. I like that lens as switching back and forth between 1.4x and not was very easy and enabled me to get the shots I wanted. I hand held that lens and it is not for the faint of heart. Before I left the house I considered the 800 lens as I had just got it back from loaning it to a friend but that beast just was too much so it stayed at home.

I will post some photos later to share with all.

Edited on Sep 06, 2017 at 12:59 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:55 PM
bcguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

That sounds like a fun time! Please do share some shots when you get a chance. I always enjoy air show photography.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

If you really want some panning practice try a radio control event. Speeds of R/C jets can get close to 200 MPH (the legal limit in the US) & you are much closer to the target. The prop warbirds can also be a challenge when they start doing high speed low passes down the runway zone. I shoot the events with a 7D2 & 1D4 & both are set to large fine jpg + RAW. I run into the buffer with the 1D4 but to date the &d2 has only slowed a few times & continues writing. It has never blocked my fro shooting when I'm holding the shutter thru a long pass.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Here are a few photos.....needless to say I have many more.....

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:40 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Several more

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:46 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Strange that you hitting the buffer with the 1DX2. I was using the same combo at Oshkosh this year.

Where you shooting to CF or CFAST cards?

Great shots by the way

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:48 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Those are EXCELLENT. Well done.

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

WarrenL wrote:
Strange that you hitting the buffer with the 1DX2. I was using the same combo at Oshkosh this year.

Where you shooting to CF or CFAST cards?

Great shots by the way
I was using both cards and writing to both. Only bumped against the buffer limit a couple of times, when I turned off RAW I never hit the limit.....thank you!

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

A few more...

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

İHerb 2017

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:55 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Glad that you got to see the air show up there. I've been to it, but this year, I was working here in TN and couldn't get up there.

Oh, nice shots!

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Tom_W wrote:
Glad that you got to see the air show up there. I've been to it, but this year, I was working here in TN and couldn't get up there.

Oh, nice shots!

Got to see it TWICE, my wife couldn't go the first day which was too bad as I bought center flight deck front reserved seats. I went back the second day as she was able to go but I wasn't able to get similar seats so we took folding chairs with us. I didn't mind going twice as I thought the Thunderbirds put on a great show!

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:55 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

FYI, full-resolution Jpegs are embedded in Canon's RAW files (at least since around the 1DIV), so in theory there is no need to shoot RAW+Jpeg and compromise buffer depth/performance. If you need the Jpegs, some apps can extract them from the RAW files. Photo Mechanic will. Not sure about other options, but there was a thread about this on one of the boards here recently. However, the embedded Jpegs are highly compressed at about 2MB on average...

That said, in good light with consistent exposure and WB, it should be no problem to get great results with SOOC Jpegs. Sounds like you were shooting a lot and probably have a very high percentage of outtakes, which if RAW, just means more HDD storage consumed by files you'll never look at again.

Also, shooting at f/11 will drop the frame rate somewhat. Highest fps rate is wide open to a stop down. After that it slows down to give the aperture enough time to stop down properly.

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:04 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

rscheffler wrote:
Also, shooting at f/11 will drop the frame rate somewhat. Highest fps rate is wide open to a stop down. After that it slows down to give the aperture enough time to stop down properly.

Good information for me to have in the back of my head when shooting high speed....thank you!

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:58 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Agree on the 1DXII. Even when not shooting at 12FPS, the mirror is so fast it seems to be done before you take the picture. That gives you more time with out blackout to track things.

Nice pics. Love Corsairs.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

I found that with the high speed shutter I was able to track the planes through the view finder easier since it was up and down so fast.....that was a great show...looking forward to another.....perhaps Oshkosh next time!

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:09 PM
kwbarnes
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Cicopo wrote:
If you really want some panning practice try a radio control event. Speeds of R/C jets can get close to 200 MPH (the legal limit in the US) (deleted)

There isn't a "speed limit" on R/C aircraft in the U.S.. The fastest R/C (model) aircraft are unpowered gliders. Currently the dynamic soaring "speed record" (clocked with a radar gun) is 519 MPH.

Not bad for a model with no motor, powered by nothing but the wind.

Sep 06, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

I would never shoot without RAW files at an air show, because I would not trust nailing the exposure when the lighting conditions change so fast as you quickly point in different directions. And even with the right exposure, there is often detail I want to enhance in the shadow areas of the sometimes backlit aircraft, which is much easier to do well with a RAW file.

I would suggest you shoot RAW only, and shoot only to one card, and ideally the the CFAST card. The listed buffer size for shooting RAW's just to the CFAST card is very large, and I doubt you would ever hit the buffer at 12 frames per second, because airshow passes only go on for so long, and then there is a gap in the action. If you did ever just hit the buffer, consider slowing down the camera to like 10 frames per second. You can set the rate for both the H and the L settings to what ever rates you like. Slower rates also save a bit on how fast you fill up your memory cards, and a two day air show can really produce a large number of images.

The 200-400 is a great lens for air shows, providing you can manage to hand hold it well, or can take a gimbal mount in to the show. The primary reason I got my 200-400 was for air shows, but I now use it more for wildlife. And of course the 1DX2 is the perfect camera for airshow action with any lens. Are you planning more air shows this season? If you have never been to the show out at Nellis Air Force Base near Las Vegas, it is a really good show, and happens in early November. Still time to catch it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:12 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

Roland W wrote:
I would never shoot without RAW files at an air show, because I would not trust nailing the exposure when the lighting conditions change so fast as you quickly point in different directions. And even with the right exposure, there is often detail I want to enhance in the shadow areas of the sometimes backlit aircraft, which is much easier to do well with a RAW file.

I would suggest you shoot RAW only, and shoot only to one card, and ideally the the CFAST card. The listed buffer size for shooting RAW's just to the CFAST card is very
...Show more
I would need to get something like that on our vacation schedule.....we are going next week to Alaska via cruise, in October/November we will be in Europe on a river cruise for 14 days....then Thanksgiving my dad turns 94......my wife has things planned usually 6 to 12 months in advance with us doing something every month if she can plan it. Perhaps next year or the year after.....,

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:00 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

I should add another great photography event is the October Hot Air Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico......balloons, people and fireworks....just a great event!

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:30 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shared experience from two days at the Cleveland Air Show...lots of photos

kwbarnes wrote:
There isn't a "speed limit" on R/C aircraft in the U.S.. The fastest R/C (model) aircraft are unpowered gliders. Currently the dynamic soaring "speed record" (clocked with a radar gun) is 519 MPH.

Not bad for a model with no motor, powered by nothing but the wind.

I may be incorrect about that for private events but it is my understanding the policy for events open to spectators will have speed restrictions. Considering that gas turbine powered planes in general will be the fastest flown at the majority of events sanctioned by the AMA which allow spectators will need to obey the AMA rules (see rule # 4) . AMA members are also expected to obey that rule when flying here in Canada to stay insured should something go wrong.

510-a.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 962017 45447 PM by Larry Ingram, on Flickr

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password