Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Cotton swabs for ears ...

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cotton swabs for ears ...

To clean the sensor using this eclipse liquid, is it crazy ?
No time to buy and deliver the proper ones !

Any first hand experience ?

Thanks beforehands

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:19 PM
jecottrell
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cotton swabs for ears ...

If you have Kimwipes or some other lens safe tissue, fold a bunch of layers and make your own swab with a small straight edge.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:27 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cotton swabs for ears ...

Don't do it! They are linty bastards and you'll only make things worse. One of 4 things will happen:

1) You'll get more debris on your sensor than when you started
2) You will scratch the surface of the sensor because Q-tips are made for ears and are not manufactured in a way that precludes them from variations in material that may damage your sensor. Sensor wipes are not cotton, remember.
3) You'll manage to not scratch your sensor or make it dirty, but there will be so many damn streaks because the cotton swab is only 5mm wide and your sensor is 24mm wide. It will look like the lines in your grass after mowing the lawn.
4) I'm wrong and it will all be fine. (I hope, but I strongly doubt)

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cotton swabs for ears ...

Kimwipes or some other kind of technical wipe would be a better bet, though I would probably still caution against it. They are at least made for use on some sensitive imaging equipment.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:33 PM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cotton swabs for ears ...

Photography tissues from any photography shop should be available and you can use to make your own wipe surfaces. Years ago what everyone was recommending - and I used - was a straight edge made from a credit card cut into several narrow strips longways, with the tissue folded and attached to one end.

If the dirt on the sensor is dry rather than sticky you can get rid very easily by using the narrow nozzle of a vacuum cleaner close to the sensor. No it won't suck out all the innards :- ) I routinely did this before every shoot with my 1-Series but touch wood the built in sensor cleaning technology is much more robust now - I haven't had to clean one in ages.

Pete

Sep 05, 2017 at 05:54 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cotton swabs for ears ...

You need some Amazon Prime in your life, amigo.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:17 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password