New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Mommy..I love you..

Jay Shah

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mommy..I love you..

Juvenile Spotted Wood owl snuggling mom.

This owl likes to perch on a top branch of a tall tree. So steep angle is inevitable unless you are lucky to catch them late in the evening but then light is not enough. Also, Juvi seldom will come down till it is ready to fledge. Would appreciate C&C.

Nikon D810, Nikon 600 mm F4 + 1.4 TC
1/500, 7.1, 2500

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mommy..I love you..

Welcome to the PC Forum.

First off, the comp "is what it is" ... and the mere fact that you got this shot is pretty top notch, so who can really nitpick on that very much.

The lighting is a bit of a triple whammy challenge, with some backlit sky, some dappled lighting, and under canopy (more "is what it is").

The backlit sky presents an exposure issue, the dappling presents both exposure and color variance, the canopy presents a color shift due to the lack of sky contribution with cyan, leaving the key lighting to be rather warm / red combined with the green canopy reflectance for a red/yellow cast.

That said, it looks to have a cast and it looks to be a bit saturated with the canopy seeming a little bit HDR-ish. Of course, S&P to taste applies, and how you want to present the color of the lighting toward the lighting conditions, or toward a neutralization of the lighting conditions is a preference call. Imo, the subject is the pair of owls, not the lighting conditions, so I lean toward the latter. Remove the owls from the scene and I might go the other way to play up the lighting / dappling, etc. ... but here, not so much.

Some tweaks for comparison. As always S&P to taste, so here's but one rendering for consideration. Deserves more refinement yet, but hopefully you get the gist.

Again, very nice capture and welcome to the PC Forum.

Sep 05, 2017 at 12:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mommy..I love you..

Really great capture here, sharp, great behavior pose, and good exposure. The lighting is tricky and I like Kent's rework although I like the color of the birds in the first, even though it may be over the top.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jay Shah

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mommy..I love you..

Hi Rustybug(?!),

Thanks for welcome and even more so for such insightful comments. I really like your tweak and going to dwell on your comments as there is lot to learn. Ciao.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:27 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mommy..I love you..

Welcome Jay!!

Not much to add to the discussion - I like the owls and all things considered the pic isn't terribly busy for what seems to be a very chaotic background.

I like Kent's (Rustybug) rework in terms of color, but I might look to boost contrast some.

How accessible are these guys? Would love to see a nice isolated perch with a creamy background to go along with it.

Looking forward to seeing more from Singapore!

Jeff

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Jay Shah

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mommy..I love you..

Hi Jeff,

Creamy BG -- tough, as they get closer to the ground at late in the evening. Once I had opportunity, but they were too close to fit in the frame with D500 with 600 mm lens !! Let me see if something is worth publishing. We also have brown owl and buffy fish owl. I have better images of the same. Will share those in the days to come. Thanks for taking the time to review and comment.

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password