New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Looking at Teleconverters

ClicktoShoot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking at Teleconverters

Hey everyone, there seems to be a huge amount of knowledge on here so I was hoping to get some advice on converters. For a little bit of background info, I got a Canon D90 a couple years ago when my mom passed away and I use it to take picture of my old high school football team during their games. I was talking with the photographer form my local paper and he was admiring the set up I was using ( I switch between my 80-200mm lens for action shots and my 18-55 for the huddle and warmups/halftime) but suggested that I get a teleconverter. Him and my mother used to be good friends so I am assuming this is something he told her many of times as well. I was reading that I will not be able to use a teleconverter with my 18-55, is it something that will be useful with the 80-200mm or would it end up being a waste of money? Thanks for all the advice everyone, don't really have any photographers I can ask about this anymore and not irritate too much.

So after looking through countless webpages and tons of lists, I decided to take a gamble on a used teleconverter that I found on https://www.for-sale.ie/nikon-teleconverter and I thought, if it doesn't work then I can just focus on getting my next lens and making sure it fits with the TC. Thanks for all the support and advice everyone, maybe I will be able to post some of my new picture soon.

Edited on Sep 10, 2017 at 03:24 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2017 at 05:50 AM
Johnwocher

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking at Teleconverters

Good Day!
I did not see this lens, from the 1990s, on the Canon 1.4X and 2X extender compatibility chart, so it might not take these. I'd confirm that first. I don't think is is compatible, from what I quickly glanced at.
Cheers,
John

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking at Teleconverters

Investigate the compatibility of a Kenko 1.4x (Pro DG). The Canon extenders will not work due to the MDP's flush rear element.

Follow this link:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1170784

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking at Teleconverters

The compatibility issue you heard about is specifically for Canon's teleconverters and has to do with their design. Canon's TC front elements protrude and are too large to fit into the barrels of many Canon lenses. As suggested, Kenko could well work.

That said, I'd be cautious about adding a TC to your 18-55 because it will make the lens pretty slow, and you don't really need it. That lens with a TC comes pretty close to the short end of your bare 80-200.

It looks like you're in the Seattle area. If so, see if there's a meetup group or photo club you could go to and see if someone's got a Kenko TC you might try at a meeting (not borrow, just put on your camera and see how it works with your lenses).

The TC might be fine on the 80-200, but being a very old design, it might not work as well as you'd like it to.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking at Teleconverters

Hi , if your talking about the 80-200 2.8 L then you have a great lens . if it is that lens then as mentioned above its NOT compatible with CANON extenders as the rear element is flush with the mount and canon extenders protrude into the lens .

However you can get 3rd party extenders to work . Ive done this with mine in the past but there are a few things to know .

The lens will still report as 2.8 even though an extender loses you a stop or 2 of light
1.4x Loses 1 stop so f4 and a 2x loses 2 stops so 5.6 .
now thats not a huge issue in itself but I remember my 40D used to mess up the expossure and I had to dial in compensation . if I metered with no extender on an evenly lit subject and then added a 2x the camera would meter nearly 2 stops over exposed so I had to compensate by 2 stops . Obviously if I shot in manual I could dial in the expossure that was correct .

also I found a 1.4x (even a good one) wasn't really much point . 280mm for a 1 stop loss . it was just as easy to crop in . the 2x was worth using though if the 200mm was the longest lens I had but you have to expect some image degradation (your magnifying the centre part of the image circle )

also the AF speed which isn't the 80-200L's strong part in the first place would take a hit . its not actually any slower in operation but does tend to hunt a bit which does slow things down .

I used my rig for a while but eventually inversted in a longer lens . the 100-400L mk1 was my choice . not cheap back then but a decent lens . nowadays they are very good value as the mk2 (a better lens around) made owners upgrade .

if thats still too rich then there are plenty of decent consumer zooms longer than 200mm that can do a good job .

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:39 PM
ClicktoShoot

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking at Teleconverters

I was hoping to use the TC with my 80-200, and if I need to go third party then that is not a problem. I will take a look for any clubs around me like Abbott said and see how it works on my camera, and also take a look to see if there are any of the older Kenko's for sale around me (as that seems to be the consensus). Thanks for the help everyone, I will keep you updated with what I get/don't get.

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:26 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking at Teleconverters

I have the kenko pro 300. TCs work best on primes, but this one is made for telephoto lenses over 200mm and tests sharper in the center than the Canon from what I recall. When I have a TC on, i'm usually trying to zoom in on a far animal so center sharpness is more important to me than edge or overall sharpness.

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking at Teleconverters

ClicktoShoot wrote:
I was hoping to use the TC with my 80-200, and if I need to go third party then that is not a problem. I will take a look for any clubs around me like Abbott said and see how it works on my camera, and also take a look to see if there are any of the older Kenko's for sale around me (as that seems to be the consensus). Thanks for the help everyone, I will keep you updated with what I get/don't get.

OK I think there maybe a bit of mix up .

in your OP you say CANON D90 but your profile Says NIKON D90 . Nikon makes more sense as Canon didn't do that (I only saw Canon and 80-200 and assumed you meant the 80-200L )

so a bit of the above advice won't hold up .

also what Nikon 80-200 is it (did they do more than 1) . I can find an 80-200 /2.8 . Im not up with nikon glass but I assume its a lens that requires the Body to drive the AF rather than the af motor being in the lens . If so then your going to need a TC that can also drive the AF via the body .

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:19 PM
ClicktoShoot

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking at Teleconverters

Yea, sorry I am always getting Canon and Nikon mixed up, that is my fault. The camera is a Nikon D90 and the lenses are both Nikon. I have always been slow on the technical side of cameras, I just like pointing and shooting (if you couldn't tell haha). Holding the lens right now, it says Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D so I am assuming that is the same 2.8 that you mentioned? I will be doing more reading into all of this, the terms are starting to get lost on me so I might need to catch up a bit before spending any big bucks. Some quick googling says that with the 2.8 I might not be able to use a TC anyways so this all might just be for nothing. Hope I didn't waste anyone's time.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:06 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking at Teleconverters

At least the casual reader can glean some info!

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:09 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking at Teleconverters

ClicktoShoot wrote:
Hope I didn't waste anyone's time.

Don't worry about it. The only problem is that there are differences in Canon and Nikon lens and teleconverter designs, just ignore the Canon TC advice. Kenko probably makes a TC that works with your Nikon lens, but I'm not sure, and the advice to try one still stands.

Check out this article: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/using-teleconverters.html

There is a link to a Nikon lens/TC compatibility chart, and from that it looks to me that the newest Nikon 1.4x TC is not compatible with your lens, but the previous version is. Not sure if that previous version is still available new or not.

I'm guessing the terms you are finding confusing are the comments that you will lose a stop of light. In short, that means your f/2.8 lens will behave as an f/4. If you are shooting in good light, that won't really matter much.

There isn't anything wrong with just pointing and shooting in auto mode, but it does help to understand what is happening when the camera is making decisions for you, especially if you don't like the results. Understanding exposure is important here. Try reading through this: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/understanding-exposure-settings/

Hope this helps, and welcome to FM.

Mark

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:16 AM
ClicktoShoot

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking at Teleconverters

Thanks so much for all the help everyone. It is blatantly obvious I don't know too much about about photography other than in focus is good, so it is really nice to have people willing to take the time to dumb down a concept and explain everything in a way that I can understand. Like others have said, I will try and track down a Kenko TC that would work with my lens so I can try it out and see if it for me. I am also open to getting a used TC (that is going to save me some money as well) so the older generation Nikon ones that Mark pointed out might be useful as well. Thanks again everyone, I will let you know what happens soon!

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:12 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking at Teleconverters

Be careful. I have read of people hearing gut-wrenching sounds of glass crunching when the lens/tc elements jammed together. Always make sure there is clearance.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:00 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password