New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?
baseball643

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Just a thought ... does the D850 kill the value of the D4s? Used they are running about the same price. The only thing the D4s provides over the 850 is 2fps (9->11) ... but you get so much more with the 850 : Megapixels, Focus, BSI, ... etc.

Thoughts?

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:26 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Yes

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:31 AM
baseball643

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Where does that put the value of a used D4s now? Anyone have any thoughts?

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:32 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

I don't see how unless the D4s shooter is using it for weddings/portraits. Two totally different uses. My typical full day of shooting rodeo gets me about 4,000+ images. Even with the fastest computer out there, there is no way I would have the time to get through all those images at 45mp.

Having said that, I always thought the D4s was not much of an upgrade (at least for me) over the D4. The D4 is a much better value.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:51 AM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

I can't speak for others, but it has definitely made it so that I have very little interest in a D4s. Of course, I doubt I was ever really the intended target audience for a D4s. Funny thing, I owned a D3s before my d810.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:54 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

D850 will effect the used value of anything from cameras to lungs.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:58 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

To me it puts it about $500 over a used 810... so maybe $2200(?)

It has to knock the value of all the high speed Single digit Nikons... a lot of shooters always compromised to get the speed those cams enabled. Now that you can get 9fps + high res to me will knock the value of the single digit Nikons at least a bit.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:06 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

i think it will devalue most, if not all Nikon FF DSLRs. I mean the D810 I see already selling used at $1500. It is a good time to buy in the coming months and for those that never buy the latest bodies (last time i owned a camera that was current was the 30D!!!)

In march i was thinking of picking up a D850 (get my bonus and raise + taxes back), but my wife stated that would be a nice 13 day trip to Hawaii through Costco travel. I would rather go to Hawaii

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

baseball643 wrote:
Where does that put the value of a used D4s now? Anyone have any thoughts?

Sure, just look at the sold prices on FM Buy & Sell, and on eBay, and take the average.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:02 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

I don't think you know what's going to happen until it happens. Or what bodies might be affected.

Camera body values get affected by many things.

Passing of time
Technology changes
Introduction of a new upgraded model
Gray market availability
Refurbished units sold by Nikon, Adorama, and B&H, etc.
more and more available on the used market

But cameras are always losing value as days pass. They, more correctly, give value back to the user in the form of high quality images. Camera values go down, your portfolio value goes up. So it's a trade off.

The D810 has gone from $3,300 to $2,700 to a Refurb around $2,100 and used anywhere between $1,500 and $2,000 over the last few months.

This final little drop, as a percentage of new price is in actuality, the least significant price decrease.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stuuke
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

I have the D4S and have the 850 on order. The D4S does such a great job at what it does I'm not sure I'll sell it. From what I've seen the D4S will have better high iso performance. There are also many times I don't need or want that large of a file. If Nikon has figured out small raw then it might be tempting to get two 850s and sell the D4S.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

I own two D4's (not D4S's) and I've got a couple of D850's on order. I hate to take a beating on the resale, so I'm not sure what I'll do with them. But man they have been great cameras. I never understood why the D4S held so much value over the D4 either, so I could see D4S's dropping to more reasonable amounts. As a wedding photographer, I still chose the D4 over the D750, D800, D810. They all had their own pros and cons which made it a tough call, but the D850 just takes all the pros from all the cameras and smashes them together. I'm thrilled about it.

But I agree with above poster too..... the small/medium raw sizes and how they actually perform will be a big factor on if I sell my D4's or not.

Sep 05, 2017 at 05:30 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Keep in mind that at the price you're comparing the difference is 4fps. You've got to buy a battery grip, different batteries, and a different charger, to get up to 9fps. I believe it's about $900 worth, from what I've read, but I haven't looked that closely since 7fps is more than enough for me.

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:00 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

I think the $900 is a bit misleading- I'm sure very few are going to pay MSRP for that charger.. just my 10 cents. Still think the grip is $100 overpriced and the battery is $50 over priced... but I digress.

Lee Saxon wrote:
Keep in mind that at the price you're comparing the difference is 4fps. You've got to buy a battery grip, different batteries, and a different charger, to get up to 9fps. I believe it's about $900 worth, from what I've read, but I haven't looked that closely since 7fps is more than enough for me.

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:16 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

When do you think that the prices of the d4, d4s and d810 will hit their lowest point? Now that everyone is selling off or a few months after the d850 has been in the field? Just curious

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

It took a steep dip in the past month while everyone competed to dump their cam to free up capital- if history is any guide I feel they'll rebound a bit (once the deluge of bodies on the boards subsides a bit) and then hold their value as best they can...my guess at least.

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:25 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

The latest mid-range bodies typically surpass the flagship bodies except in FPS. That was the case with the D750 and D3s as well - better in almost every way (not all) but the biggest difference was FPS. If you could live with the FPS difference, there was little reason to pay 2-3 times the price.

For anyone wanting 14bit files at a lower resolution out of the camera, the very best ISO performance, full size body ergonomics, or the highest FPS, the D4s/D5 are still going to be attractive. For everyone else not in that specific category, the D850 is unmatched. Nikon doesn't care what you do either way because they stagger the releases such that anyone who was going to buy a D4s/D5 already has (just as they did with the D700 a year after the D3).

As for the cost to get to 9FPS, it looks like this:

OEM everything:

Grip: $397
EN-EL18b battery:$149
Battery door: $25
MH-26aAK charger/adapter: $370

TOTAL: $941

Third party (using D810 parts where there is no info yet for D850):

Vello grip: $90
Watson EN-El18a: $100
Battery door (TBA if needed): $25
Charger: $55

TOTAL: approx. $245-270 depending if the third party grip needs a a door.

I suspect most people will at least be buying a third party charger, even if they go OEM for everything else, which brings it down to approx. $625. Anyone coming from a D4/D5 will probably already have compatible batteries and the necessary charger. If the body had been native 9FPS and $3999 MSRP I think it still would have been very well received - the fact that it's as cheap as it is with the option to move to 9FPS for those who want it I think was a good move overall.

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:17 PM
toupac
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Dustin Gent wrote:
i think it will devalue most, if not all Nikon FF DSLRs. I mean the D810 I see already selling used at $1500. It is a good time to buy in the coming months and for those that never buy the latest bodies (last time i owned a camera that was current was the 30D!!!)

In march i was thinking of picking up a D850 (get my bonus and raise + taxes back), but my wife stated that would be a nice 13 day trip to Hawaii through Costco travel. I would rather go to Hawaii

My plan was to sell my D810 as well since I have a D850 on preorder. However, after looking at the B/S forum, I'm actually thinking about just keeping my D810 now as a backup body since the going rate for used D810s are so low now. It's a great time for D810 buyers, not so much for D810 sellers.

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:37 PM
fao91

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Probably,because some will sell it to get the D850.
I actually sold my D750 and will get the D850.
I'm keeping my D4s until Nikon releases the D5s.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does D850 kill the value of used D4s?

Dustin Gent wrote:

I'd be content to roam the streets of Hawaii on Google Maps for vacation ... if that meant a D850 in the bag.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password