Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

A Magical Confluence

tmiller9
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Magical Confluence

Congratulations to tmiller9 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 23 votes - View Previous Winners

I wouldn't normally post two identical compositions - but I thought these were "different" enough to warrant it.....

Taken on a recent tour through the Northern Arizona desert in search of monsoons - from a remote section that overlooks the confluence of the Little Colorado and Colorado rivers. After a decent evening (I do have another shot with this composition - with the core of the MW poking between the clouds) of shooting - I was awakened by flashes of light over the canyon. Grabbed my camera and headed for the ledge. Although I brought a few triggers with me - I couldn't quite get them to work - so I did this the old fashioned way - a succession of 20 second exposures - hoping to capture something in the pre-dawn light. "Underexposing" for the scene, my hope was that any lightning would be enough to fill in the canyon walls - and it did!

The second shot was taken not long after the lightning show blew by - as the sun started to hit the horizon and provide a dramatic change in light - and scene. The colorful glow started to hit the clouds and reflect into the canyon. Then - a rainbow! Then - a double rainbow (never seen this before)! The rainbow show actually stuck around quite awhile - even as we hightailed it out of the area as the back end of the storm started to chase us.

Been doing this awhile now - seen quite a few things - this was by far the best - and most magical to date.

Thanks for looking - cc are always welcome...

Todd

View previous versions

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Magical Confluence

Beautiful. Love the color.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Magical Confluence

Wow, both are great.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:33 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Magical Confluence

Wow is right! both of these are very special.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Magical Confluence

Todd, great work under challenging conditions. Chance favors the prepared. Is that the Colorado river seen here?

I would crop about a third of the top sky in the first one. Great imaging.

Sep 04, 2017 at 03:45 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Magical Confluence

Some of your best yet Todd! These are fantastic well composed captures! Personally I would print them both and hang them side by side. If not then I would also consider making #1 into a 5x7 crop minus the top sky - and maybe apply a little more noise reduction in its sky. In any case you have my vote!
Dave

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Magical Confluence

Todd was this near the Hoyee’ Adeetiin or Shadow Mountain viewpoints?

Sep 04, 2017 at 05:01 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Magical Confluence

dbehrens wrote:
Some of your best yet Todd! These are fantastic well composed captures! Personally I would print them both and hang them side by side. If not then I would also consider making #1 into a 5x7 crop minus the top sky - and maybe apply a little more noise reduction in its sky. In any case you have my vote!
Dave

Thanks very much Dave - I appreciate the input. I do plan on printing both of these - so the comments on crop and N/R are greatly valued.
---------------------------------------------

Jeffrey wrote:
Todd was this near the Hoyee’ Adeetiin or Shadow Mountain viewpoints?

Jeffrey

Thanks for the suggestions about the sky - as mentioned - I do plan on printing these - so the suggestions will come in handy. As for the viewpoints you mentioned - I don't think this was from either (?). This is a view point that overlooks the confluence (hence, the naming ) of the Little Colorado and Colorado Rivers.

Sep 04, 2017 at 05:41 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Magical Confluence

Jeffrey

Thanks for the suggestions about the sky - as mentioned - I do plan on printing these - so the suggestions will come in handy. As for the viewpoints you mentioned - I don't think this was from either (?). This is a view point that overlooks the confluence (hence, the naming ) of the Little Colorado and Colorado Rivers.

Todd my research shows this is controlled Navajo land and requires permits. They allow access to both the points I mentioned. Perhaps you were cross country hiking to the confluence. Good of you to find the route and risk the dangers!

Sep 04, 2017 at 05:57 PM
transientgolf
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Magical Confluence

Both great. The first one is just incredible. Love the colors. Really impressive.

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Magical Confluence

Todd, beautiful images!
Keith W.

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:23 PM
joeybk85

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Magical Confluence

Incredible!

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Magical Confluence

Amazing shots--both of them. Congrats!

Sep 05, 2017 at 12:54 AM
tomkualii
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Magical Confluence

Always wanted storm shots in my images. Hawaii, we dont have much of this. Nice work.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:39 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Magical Confluence

Stunning, really nice.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:33 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Magical Confluence

tomkualii wrote:
Always wanted storm shots in my images. Hawaii, we dont have much of this. Nice work.

Tom;

Thanks very much for the feedback - but I must disagree - I think your "lava" storms are pretty awesome. Chasing some lava is high on the list - you will be hearing from me soon!

All the best

Todd

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:08 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Magical Confluence

both are very nice Todd

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:54 AM
npolta

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Magical Confluence

would love to see these once they are printed and hung up next to each other! nice work!

Sep 06, 2017 at 07:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Magical Confluence

Despair and hope. What a great set!

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:51 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A Magical Confluence

Very nice. Love them both.