New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

How do you choose what paper to use?

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Hank asked in this post what paper do you use. As expected, there were lots of opinions - most saying they are going for a "look".

How much does subject play in your selection of paper? As a wildlife shooter 99% of the time, my goals are likely different from a landscape shooter, or a portrait shooter - or maybe not...

Anyway, I have added two typical photos, (that I would consider printing), as an example. If I am shooting very close to the subject, be it a bird or a bug, I want lots of tack sharp detail.

I just bought a Pro 100 and want to start printing again, but I have always found printing to be so frustrating that I haven't made an "art" print in several years.

At this point, I am mostly curious about how you select paper to suit the subject.

Thanx,
Ron

surfnron 2017

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/250s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:23 PM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you choose what paper to use?

I suggest you try Canon SG-201, Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss. The are several other similar papers by other manufacturers. Ilford makes some great papers that are on somewhat heavier stock but they cost a bit more.

I always use gloss or semi-gloss papers for wildlife and landscape shots where I want deep blacks, bright color, and detail. The matte papers are used to achieve artistic effects that are great for some images, but in my opinion are rarely good for wildlife.

Dave

Sep 04, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you choose what paper to use?

As an Epson user, I've not tried and am not familiar with Canon papers, so you need to convert my suggestion to Canon or other manufacturers' products.

I view paper choice as part of the entire photo process, and choose paper based on the final look I want. I've settled on Epson papers for a number of reasons.

For your samples, I'd go with either a high-quality glossy paper (for depth and detail) if the final product was a bare print. If I was framing them behind glass, I'd use Epson's Fine Art Exhibition because I use only Museum Glass and don't like the effect of a glossy print behind it. However, I'd also seriously consider Epson's [matte] Velvet Fine Art paper for both of your samples because I think it would give them a very classy painterly appearance that would work well.

You might want to buy a sampler pack or small (10-25 sheet) boxes of different papers to try. Like testing a new camera, testing printer/paper combinations can provide very worthwhile experience.

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:39 PM
mikek200
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you choose what paper to use?

I have just finished printing a few pics,on Epson Cold Press Natural,.
These were not wildlife shots,it was a Temple in Thailand,were my wife & I have a condo
IMHO,this is one of the finest papers,I've ever used,yields excellent detail{which is what you want?}
If you want to try Ilford,I suggest Ilfod Galerie Gold Fiber Silk,a bit more expensive,but a truly beautiful paper.
By the BY,those 2 images of yours,are outstanding.

Good Luck,
Mike

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:47 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Ron,

As you probably know, printing and paper are a world unto themselves, and just about as complicated as photography itself.

What type of paper you choose is largely determined by taste as much as anything else. I like the sharp, vivid colors that can be seen on glossy papers. I have a good friend who will never print on glossy, preferring either a luster or satin paper. Our tastes differ and so our choice of paper differs.

If it were me, and I had shot those excellent images you posted above, I would use a quality glossy paper or maybe a satin for the fawn and doe shot. I might try a metallic paper for the bluebird, which would really highlight the vividness of the blue color.

Regardless of what brand and type of paper you chose, you will need to have a calibrated monitor. Also you will want to download and use the correct profile for the paper you are printing on. Otherwise, it is very difficult or impossible to repeat a printing and get the same colors each time.

Take a look around Red River's site.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/

They offer quality papers at a reasonable price. In addition, they offer profiles on each paper and they provide specific instructions with each paper for different machines. They will tell you what settings to use for Canon printers, Epson printers, etc. The instructions also tell you whether you should be using matt black ink or photo black ink for each paper type - which is not always as obvious as you may think.

They also offer articles and links that provide advice and help on printing, from choosing a paper to setting up your printer.

I ordered one of their sample packs with some specialty papers and then printed a composite of images onto each type of paper using their profiles and instructions. I keep those samples in a 3-ring binder. Now if I am trying to choose, I can open my book and look at examples of both color and B&W images on each type of paper and make my choice.

Sep 04, 2017 at 05:20 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you choose what paper to use?

I seconf frds post,re: the RR sample pack,I think it cost me $12.95 + shp.
I spent most of last week testing/printing,matte vs glossy on almost all of there papers,and,on the same image to compare.
A great company,with excellent tech support

Mike

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:20 PM
luigi645
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Ron - your shots would look good on "plain" paper but being you're using the Canon Pro 100, you'' like Canon's SG 201/Photo Paper Plus Glossy II/Photo Paper Pro Luster 101. I'm sure there are others but I've found these to work best out of the box!

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:24 PM
luigi645
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Ron - your shots would look good on "plain" paper but being you're using the Canon Pro 100, you'll like Canon's SG 201/Photo Paper Plus Glossy II/Photo Paper Pro Luster 101. I'm sure there are others but I've found these to work best out of the box!

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:25 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you choose what paper to use?

I want my prints to last as long as possible and so send files to a lab and have them use Fuji for most images and Kodak Metallic for ones where I want extra snap. Once you see a Kodak Endura metallic print you will understand.

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:55 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Thanx all for the comments. I did order the RR sample pack, but I think I will wait until I have figured out how to print accurately before playing with papers. I have some Canon 13X19 Photo Paper Pro Luster that came with the printer and a bunch of Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II in various sizes that I will use to figure out how to print with the new printer. My goal is to be able to print accurately first time...

Ron

Sep 05, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Ron,
Standard procedure is to drop your monitor brightness to 80 lumins and raise the exposure in software, then print.
140 lumins is web standard and RR sample pack is an excellent choice and now you can call Drew and ask questions, he knows how to print.
I use the NEC with Spectraview and I have presets at 80 lumin for print and 140 lumin for web that activate with a click.
Tell him the psychic said HI

Sep 05, 2017 at 12:49 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you choose what paper to use?

I hope you got the specialty sampler The San Gabriel SemiGloss Baryta and the Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag are my personal favorite papers, especially the latter.

Paper choice is pretty subjective, I liken it a lot to wine tasting. Sample a bunch and pick a few you like the best. If you have some technical requirements, like longevity or texture, then take those into account too. But it's mostly down to personal taste.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you choose what paper to use?

surfnron wrote:
My goal is to be able to print accurately first time...

Good luck with that

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:01 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Dragonfire wrote:
Ron,
Standard procedure is to drop your monitor brightness to 80 lumins and raise the exposure in software, then print.
140 lumins is web standard and RR sample pack is an excellent choice and now you can call Drew and ask questions, he knows how to print.
I use the NEC with Spectraview and I have presets at 80 lumin for print and 140 lumin for web that activate with a click.
Tell him the psychic said HI

Thanx Frank - I've been lookin' at monitors off and on for a while. What model NEC do you have? I am currently running an older NEC that I have been very happy with.

---------------------------------------------

itai195 wrote:
I hope you got the specialty sampler The San Gabriel SemiGloss Baryta and the Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag are my personal favorite papers, especially the latter.

Paper choice is pretty subjective, I liken it a lot to wine tasting. Sample a bunch and pick a few you like the best. If you have some technical requirements, like longevity or texture, then take those into account too. But it's mostly down to personal taste.

Thanx, and yes, I did get the sampler.

---------------------------------------------

danski0224 wrote:
Good luck with that

I'm sure you did see me praying...

Ron

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Ron, mine is about 5 years old - NEC P221W comes with self calibrating software and screen puck.

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:02 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Ron,
No getting away from the "look" issue. Matte, watercolor, Velvet....these all move towards a bit painterly, as does canvas.
Having seen many of your images, frequented Nature and Wildlife, and done many wildlife prints, I think you are likely on the side of "pop", sharpness, detail for most images. The more painterly media soften detail,although some post-processing can compensate. But I suspect you will be most happy with gloss or lustre surfaces.
I print on an Epson printer, so let's skip the Epson papers (my first choice).
Worth looking at Red River for price and range of options.
When I don't print on Epson, I tend to use Ilford Galerie Prestige (formerly Smooth Pearl). It is less expensive than Epson papers, I got reliable results and have some prints in shows on this paper. It would be good to test, practice on, and compare with a higher end product.
Ultimately you will need to learn to tweak printing, compare the same image on different papers to decide what you prefer.
The downside of glossy is reflectivity. On the other hand, I am itching to send out for some aluminum prints which push the contrast, depth more, sometimes with a finish that reduces too much reflectivity. A whole other direction.

Experiment and enjoy!

Scott

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:17 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Scott,excellent post--that's exactly what I did last week,made about 18... .8 x 10 prints on various RR papers,using the same image..I did use some ink,but know,i've narrowed it down to 3 RR papers.,that I will probably use on a regular basis.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:04 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Thanx all for the comments.

Scott- I suspect you are spot on, and your comments parallel my thoughts. I do have a bunch of the above glossy paper in 5 X 7, so that's what I will use that to "reacquaint" myself with printing. Once I am satisfied that I can at least come close, I'll pull out the RR papers to see what might suit me better.

Ron

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:52 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you choose what paper to use?

surfnron, i just purchased a Canon Pro 4000 IPF large format printer earlier this year. to get the most accurate print you should be printing from the Canon Print Studio plugin via DPP or PS in 16 bit RAW format. you should be using an ICC profile for the paper you are printing on in Relative Colorimetric setting. enable soft proofing and use contrast reproduction. you can even set your black point depending on your software in use. printing using the ICC profile you don't have to calibrate your printer, even if your monitor is off the printer driver is not and will yield accurate color results. at least from DPP.

i went to the following web sites and downloaded their paper ICC profiles:

http://www.lexjet.com/icc-profiles
http://www.dtgweb.com/shop/profiles.php?xid=c9f2cf4f8e42af140694b7c0be819238
http://www.atlex.com/help-center/drivers_and_profiles
https://www.breathingcolor.com/icc-profile-instruction

atlex is probably the best of the group with the widest variety of paper manufacturers and their
ICC profiles.

just to get you started. here is a link that really gets into hahnemuehle papers the pro and cons: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/04/06/i-try-more-high-quality-hahnemuehle-paper-see-how-it-fares-in-our-hahnemueh you are gonna love that primer. i don't know how deep you're going to delve into printing. it is intriguing.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:14 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you choose what paper to use?

Thanx R.H. - it was an interesting read. My problem is that I want to try almost all the papers I read about, but I think I'd be much better off limiting my selections until I, (hopefully), become much more comfortable printing ~ Ron

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password