New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · St. Joseph Cathedral

Counterpoint

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · St. Joseph Cathedral

I opted for a 2/3 view of the side instead of a more obvious head-on shot of the front since I really liked what the light was doing.

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:21 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · St. Joseph Cathedral

A lot of architectural action going on in this one. Your point at "liking the light" ... the contrast of the OP seems to be a little flat where the more subtle diff's are, leaving some of that wonderful light & detail (angles, planes, shapes, lines, etc.) a bit less revealed. You could go anywhere from mild to wild with this one to bring it out some more.

Here's but one rendering (might be a bit much for some areas / tastes), with many ways you could go to dial it in to your liking. You may need to use some blending options / masking to help with some better refinement, but hopefully you get the gist.

As for the 2/3 comp ... I don't see any issues with it. Actually, I think it affords the ability for harnessing the modeling you're getting from the light (to your point for going 2/3). It might be a touch oversharpened in the finer structured areas (i.e. roof shingles). Different structure (big blocky/smooth areas vs. small intricate areas) tends to warrant different sharpening, so you might want to use selective sharpening (if you sharpen on a layer, you might just toss some degree of gray mask over the roof, etc.)

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:57 AM
Counterpoint

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · St. Joseph Cathedral

Being out with a camera is much more appealing than sitting in front of a monitor, so I get slightly lazy with post production on occasion. The file got too sharp when I reduced it for web, but yes I need to go back and feather my sharpening layer in and out a bit for those more detailed areas. I hadn't noticed it until you brought it up! I'm also going to play with the contrast a bit.

Thank you!

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:22 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · St. Joseph Cathedral

Very nice, and Kent's rework is even better.

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · St. Joseph Cathedral

Counterpoint wrote:
Being out with a camera is much more appealing than sitting in front of a monitor, so I get slightly lazy with post production on occasion.

Roger that ... I get plenty lazy with my "draft" work sometimes too. Just as long as you are aware, so when you go "final" with it, it's all good.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:19 AM
Counterpoint

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · St. Joseph Cathedral

I added some contrast. You're right, it was quite flat. I did some selective sharpening to avoid over-sharpening the shingles, but Flickr must add sharpening because it still looks different than it does sized correctly in Photoshop.

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.