New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

mortyb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

I'm not sure how interesting this is, but I thought I'd share.

Jonas Bendiksen is the only Norwegian member of Magnum Photos. Today I read an article about him and his new tv-series "Messias". In this article he tells a bit about how he became a member of Magnum, as well as about the new tv-series. In "Messias" he travels around the world, first episode is from a small village in South Africa, meeting people who truly think they are the new Jesus. You can see he shoots several Sony A7(x) bodies with native lenses, as well as what looks like an RX1 with EVF.

I think the tv-series is only available for Norwegians, but it's pretty good IMO, so if you're using VPN, it's well worth 30 min. IMO. It's mostly in English. 4 episodes in total.

Here's the article translated.

Link to the 1st episode.

Sep 04, 2017 at 03:35 AM
Snupi

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

It's also a bit funny to se that the lens he uses for the most is the FE 24-70/4 on his A7RII. A lens that mostly gets thumb down among advanced amateurs. He takes splendid pictures with it, anyhow.....

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:58 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

Snupi wrote:
It's also a bit funny to se that the lens he uses for the most is the FE 24-70/4 on his A7RII. A lens that mostly gets thumb down among advanced amateurs. He takes splendid pictures with it, anyhow.....

There are photographers who take splendid photos with iPhones. Photographic talent doesn't change the technical quality of the gear.

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:22 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

Still technical quality obviously is good enough for him and Magnum.

snapsy wrote:
There are photographers who take splendid photos with iPhones. Photographic talent doesn't change the technical quality of the gear.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:16 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

mortyb wrote:

Absolutely agree, and if photographers as a whole were as talented as the best photographers then there wouldn't be a photographic equipment industry to speak of, at least not one anywhere near the size of what exists today. Prosumers make the market.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:24 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

rather magnum cares about the story an image brings more than how sharp the corners are or how buttery smooth are the bokeh

mortyb wrote:

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

He's not the only one. I remember seeing an Magnum article recently with the contribution of many of it's photographers and couldn't resist checking the exif data. Discovered some of them where using the A7 series, Elliott Erwitt was one of them, if I remember correctly.

There were also some Fuji X users (like David Alan Harvey). Thomas Dworzak is still using a Panasonic GX7. There were even some iPhone shots there.

Of course Canon and Nikon dSLRs were there too.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

Found the article I mentioned:
https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-culture/travel/the-golden-hour/#

Seems like Sony FF cameras and iPhones are the most used cameras in this essay.

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:55 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

How do you check EXIF in those? My EXIF viewer in Chrome shows nothing no matter what I do.

Edit: Found it. Several different cameras: D810, Leica SL, Fuji X100T, A7Rii, iPhones etc.

Edited on Sep 05, 2017 at 11:39 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:02 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jonas Bendiksen of Magnum Photos shooting Sony

Sony FE cameras make tremendous sense for this kind of work, discreet and high resolution for complex group and enviro portraiture. Not large enough to intrude on the scene.

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.