New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Kcct82

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Hi, I've been searching around the past couple of days for a new lens. I need a general purpose full frame zoom lens for recording videos of my kids. My 24-70L 2.8 mk1 works fine in almost every aspect except for the USM noise making its way into videos. I narrowed my search on B&H and found the Canon 24-105mm IS STM f3.5-5.6 lens, but the lens is a bit slow for achieving nice bokeh. Is there a full frame EF mount general zoom with IS and silent motors at constant f2.8 (or greater) out there? Thanks

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:58 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Use a Rode VideoMic Pro instead.

Pete

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:07 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Or pick up a mint NTG-2.

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Dietrich

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Kcct82 wrote:
Is there a full frame EF mount general zoom with IS and silent motors at constant f2.8 (or greater) out there?

No. Afaik there are only three other silent motor lenses for EF mount (full frame) available at the moment: 40/2.8 STM, 50/1.8 STM, and 70-300/4-5.6 IS II Nano USM.

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:25 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Paul Mo wrote:
Or pick up a mint NTG-2.

For the OP: I have an NTG-2 as well as two VideoMic Pros. In practice I find the NTG-2 is not as usable because its really quite long - it protrudes behind the body making it tricky to avoid touching accidentally, plus its length out the front is such that it can compete with wide angle lenses especially if it has a deadcat on it to reduce wind noise. Its long because it can take a single AA battery; that means the mic does not need phantom power when that might otherwise be needed on a particular camera. Also the NTG-2 is not quite as loud as the others, its usable certainly, but you may need to bump it up.

The VideoMic Pro is much more compact and for me is surprisingly good. It has a 9v battery compartment built in so phantom power issues don't arise.

Pete

Sep 04, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Dietrich wrote:
No. Afaik there are only three other silent motor lenses for EF mount (full frame) available at the moment: 40/2.8 STM, 50/1.8 STM, and 70-300/4-5.6 IS II Nano USM.

I use Tascam outboard audio for video but use the camera's audio as guide tracks to synchronize in PP. And I can say both the 40/2.8 STM, 50/1.8 STM are not actually silent, as I can clearly hear them during movie servo operation. They are smoother and less noisy than ring USM but the easiest cure is an external mic if you're not willing to go with separate audio.

If you want a small mic for indoors that won't poke you in the eye or get in the way of the lens, take a look at the TASCAM TM-2X. Nice improvement over camera mics and runs off the camera's mini plug power. Comes with a dead cat too!

https://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TM-2X-Pattern-Cardioid-Filmmaking/dp/B00GBATPFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504552114&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+stereo+mic

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Volks1470
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

You will need an external mic for pretty much any video work. I was pretty disappointed to find out the STM lenses still have a lot of focus noise during video.

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:36 PM
d831
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Echoing others here, I'd definitely encourage you to get an external mic, before considering a new lens. Checking out your profile, along with your 24-70mm f/2.8, you've got some great lenses to work with already...

While AF can be awesome when shooting video in certain situations (e.g. face/eye detection on an unmanned B-camera), two of the greatest things one can do to improve the quality of their videos are: 1) getting good at manual focus tracking 2) getting good audio.

If you're not happy with the idea of using a Rode VideoMic Pro/VideoMicro/etc. mounted to your camera, consider mounting one directly to an external recorder, which you can position appropriately nearby. An inexpensive pocket friendly Zoom H1 would be a great starting point for family docs.

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Kcct82

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Paul Mo, Dietrich - Thanks for the suggestions.

Ashton Lamont, Gochugogi, Volks1470 - Thanks, it seems like STM is not the answer to clean audio. I'm okay with using an external mic as long as it's hot shoe mountable so I can still run and gun by myself. I see most hot shoe mics have systems for decoupling the mic/camera to decrease sound transmisssion due to vibration, but will the mic still pick up USM/STM noise just by being near it (the mic is only an inch or two away from the lens)?

d831 - Thanks. I do intend to learn how to manual focus (video). I started photography with my father's New F-1 with manual FD lenses. In fact I still use the Zeiss manual lenses you see in my profile to photograph my kids 95% of the time. For videos of my kids, I want to have a setup that will allow solo control with good quality. I'm thinking a small one handed gimbal (Nebula 5100 lite/Crane) with IS lens will achieve smooth enough footages. For focusing, I'll take advantage of the Canon Camera Connect App by connecting my phone to the 5D mk4. I can easily tap on different subjects to pull focus with my other hand when the camera is at awkward angles. For the sound part, I'll probably start off with an external mic like most have suggested. I might eventually get a field recorded. I know most people use Zoom recorders, but coming from an "audiophile" background I'm really eager to try Nagra recorders. I do hope to one day be able to do all this with Zeiss manual lenses, and I'll replace Camera Connect with external monitor (focus peaking) and follow focus gears.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:58 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

Talk about learning new things every day... you call that wind protection thingy "dead cat"? I think it's disgustingly hilarious.

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:34 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

24-105 stm & 70-300 nano work silently with seamless AF of Canon 6D mark ii
(In servo mode). No noise noticed when using Rode mic.
One of the unheralded features of the 6D 2.

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:59 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Full Frame Silent Lens For Video Work

The fur type of wind noise reducer has had the name "dead cat" for quite a while, and likely before that was perceived as a name that was not politically correct. Please note that all the current ones are made from artificial fur rather than real cat fur, so only the somewhat offensive name is the issue.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password