New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Johnwocher

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

I have the Think Tank Glass Limo to hold my dual battery gripped 5DSR + my EF200-400 f/4. I will have one full size carry on with my other lenses and accessories that I do not trust as checked baggage. I can take the one carry on with no problem and am allowed one personal item, and the dimensions are on United's website. I will be going Tokyo to Denver round rip with my gear. Since the Glass Limo exceeds the dimensions listed for personal items, I am wondering if I am going to have a problem with the Glass Limo as a personal item. It is narrow enough and not too wide, but a little too high by about 5 inches. Overhead compartment no problem. Anyone has pushback about this? Tokyo pretty flexible and I am Premier Platinum with United. Going Economy.
Appreciate any experience in this regards.
thanks,
John

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:27 AM
Johnwocher

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

As an alternative, if pushback, I could remove the other three lenses (24-70, 17-40, & 70-200) and put them in a shoulder bag, and hope for the best on the bag I might be forced to check. Tripods and monopod will go in a regular checked bag. I get two check-in bags free, so that might be the solution, but I like the comfort of having all my goodies in the cabin. First time traveling with the 200-400 and the Glass Limo. Thanks!
John

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:33 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

I liked the Think Tank Glass Limo in many ways, and it took my Canon 200-400 plus mounted body perfectly, I but hated it for its lack of additional space for other camera gear such as another body and lens. For a carry on it would have not worked for me, and I now no longer own it. Your thoughts on using it as a personal item sound like it might lead to it being gate checked, and that could be very news for your $11,000 lens.

If you want to consider a new bag, the MindShift FirstLight 40L is big enough for the 200-400 plus mounted body, and still has some room left for other gear, including perhaps your other lenses you mentioned. It should also I believe meet most domestic carry on limits, but I am of course not sure about your international travel carrier.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Johnwocher

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Thanks.
John

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:44 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

my trip to japan I had thinktank international roller bag and gura gear chobe. worked great. Unless you are flying first class, I think you will have problems trying to get on with two bags that will not fit under the seat in front of you (that is where personal bag goes). Even in first class I don't know, but you'd have a better shot at it. Frankly, I would not chance it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:31 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

The personal item cannot be taller than 17 inches so that it will fit completely under the seat in front of you. This also precludes most aisle seats as they usually have a support piece so there is very little width for a personal bag.

I have gone from using a single 32 liter backpack to a 26 liter and a 18 liter backpack. I can board the plane with the 26 liter backpack on my back and with the tripod in one hand and the 18 liter in my other hand. The 26L goes in the overhead bin along with the 22" tripod and the 18L goes under the seat. Much easier on my body to have the weight broken up this way. The last time I had the 32L packed with a 500mm, 80-400mm, and other lenses and flash the total weight was 37 lbs. and a bear to manage.

On a slightly separate note there is no airline that is worse than United in terms of making life difficult for its passengers with regard to luggage and they have been terrible for the last 25 years. For travel to Asia I pick an Asian airline and one that has premium economy seats. These seats provide early boarding privileges and extra legroom and usually add less than $150 to the fare.

Non-USA airlines provide more space, more free luggage, better food, free alcoholic beverages, and lower prices. I only fly on US based airlines when there is no other choice or I have frequent flyer miles about to expire.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:34 PM
Johnwocher

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Thanks Much!
I managed to stuff everything except the kitchen sink into a large, but within dimensions, National Geographic camera bag with many great zippered pockets. I'll get a hernia, but i can then take the Glass Limo as my carry-on and the NatGeo bag as my personal item. It has a shoulder strap. Both will fit into the overhead bin, so my gear can all go in the cabin. Agree on United. I like All Nippon as my preferred carrier, but only United flies the Narita-Denver route. Glad I don't have a connection, picking up a rental car and driving to Estes. Hoping for fall color there and later in Jackson Hole.
Again thanks!
John

Sep 11, 2017 at 05:49 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

I have the Think Tank International and I can put my Canon 200-400, 1DxII, 7DII w/grip, 11-22, 24-105, 2xIII, CAMRANGER, memory card holder, slide in filter holder for 200-44, plus several other small items. I too fly United and Platinum Premium flyer.

I have hauled this bag all over the world with no problem. I need to pay attention that I don't get routed via the smaller 3 seats to an aisle planes that United sometimes uses. In that case when I have missed that detail I have pulled the pricey gear out and put it in the overhead via overstuffing my backpack.

The dimensions on the bag you are using is only about 1/2" longer than my bag.

I will go out on a limb and say if it was my bag, I would proceed with it.

YMMV, and your results may vary......also, I should add I have flown on United over 1,500,000 miles.....so I am lifetime gold and at 2M I will become lifetime platinum. I am about 6 to 7 years out for that goal.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:55 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

If they want to check-in your bag, just ask them whether THEIR insurance covers 5'000+$ worth of sensitive optical equipment and let them sign an agreement form.
They'll quickly skip to the next poor guy to check-in his bag.

Alternatively, you could get a pelican roller case that fits all your stuff and can go to the checked baggage.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Flowernut
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

My standard bag is the think tank international as well. I've up armored it by putting lexan panels (plastic panels cut to size that are intended for storm doors) in the sides and in the top panel. also added 1/4 inch closed cell foam in the top panel under the lexan. Not quite a pelican case but everything inside is packed tightly in their own neoprene coverings. Never had a problem and routinely plane side check "valet" on small planes like CRJ. Actually will fit in overhead on crj700. Never have checked it as luggage. Next trip I'm taking a pelican carry on bag just in case as I'm flying on a former British colony's airline.

Edited on Sep 25, 2017 at 12:50 AM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:43 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Herb wrote:
I have the Think Tank International and I can put my Canon 200-400, 1DxII, 7DII w/grip, 11-22, 24-105, 2xIII, CAMRANGER, memory card holder, slide in filter holder for 200-44, plus several other small items. I too fly United and Platinum Premium flyer.

I have hauled this bag all over the world with no problem. I need to pay attention that I don't get routed via the smaller 3 seats to an aisle planes that United sometimes uses. In that case when I have missed that detail I have pulled the pricey gear out and put it in the overhead via overstuffing
...Show more

The problem he has got is he has two bags and neither is small enough to qualify as a "personal" bag.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
If they want to check-in your bag, just ask them whether THEIR insurance covers 5'000+$ worth of sensitive optical equipment and let them sign an agreement form.
They'll quickly skip to the next poor guy to check-in his bag.

Alternatively, you could get a pelican roller case that fits all your stuff and can go to the checked baggage.

and they will ask if you want to fly with them or not....the Airlines have the upper hand.....

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:56 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

They cannot send you home.
If they force you to check in your carry-on luggage, they take responsibility for any damage that may occur, so you can sue them big time.

I never had to check in my camera bag for that reason.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
They cannot send you home.
If they force you to check in your carry-on luggage, they take responsibility for any damage that may occur, so you can sue them big time.

I never had to check in my camera bag for that reason.

I think you need to read your contract of carriage and all the small print.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:15 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Agree. I think their damages are quite limited and stated as much, even though you may need a lens to read it

Oct 05, 2017 at 05:40 PM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Herb wrote:
and they will ask if you want to fly with them or not....the Airlines have the upper hand.....

the overhead space was gone and I was given that choice. I got off and waited 24 hrs for another flight. This time I was early and my priority boarding got me overhead space.

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:25 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Flowernut wrote:
the overhead space was gone and I was given that choice. I got off and waited 24 hrs for another flight. This time I was early and my priority boarding got me overhead space.

My biggest fear which is why I always try to be early for flights and get near the front of the line. I have priority boarding as we are platinum and I am a lifetime Gold (million miles flyer, currently at 1.5 million miles, at 2 million I will be a lifetime platinum member and will always board in group 1)

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Johnwocher

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Think Tank Glass Limo Question - Travel

Good Morning - Back from my trip.
Did not say anything on check-in of two bags.
Carried my NatGeo bag and the Think Tank Glass Limo onboard, and put them in the overhead. No one asked nor measured. I was on the direct Tokyo/Denver flight, so did not have to contend with a plane change. On checked bags, both TSA locks were intact. For the return flight, ditto. No problem. Glass Limo looks small compared to the many carry-on bags that look bigger/wider. So all ended well. Thanks. Maybe I was overly worried.
John

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:00 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password