New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Hello All!

There are many out there but it would be great to have some recommendation for Ice Cave Tour company based on your experience.

This would be for two in December. Both of us would like to take photographs there.

Thanks!!

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Monika C
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Einar at http://www.localguides.is

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:19 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Monika C wrote:
Einar at http://www.localguides.is

Thanks Monika C for the information.

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:33 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

I am still looking for the most reasonable ice cave tour guide for photographers.

If any one have done the tour, please let me know.

My December travel itinerary is being worked on.

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

The krona has increased in value 30%, so good luck on "reasonable". People have been canceling their vacations in Iceland due to that.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:20 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Monika C wrote:
The krona has increased in value 30%, so good luck on "reasonable". People have been canceling their vacations in Iceland due to that.

Yes, that is true that dollar value has gone down. However Iceland has been improving quite a bit in terms of lodging, facilities, and road conditions when I compared now from 5 months ago. I have just finished my summer travel there, and this time I am tagging my family to Iceland in December. My son will be enjoying some of the drone shooting, and me and my husband will be doing photographing. And definitely this time we will go for the ice cave adventure.

There is a cost for all of these endeavor but what can you do. Iceland is a fabulous place. And I get to know the country more and more as I stepped in that country often (too often, my husband thinks).

Thanks for the warning!

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:08 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

My wife and I used Local Guide of Vatnaj÷kull and it was 50,000 iSK/person, 40,000 ISK deposit required. phone info was as follows:
Cell: +354 8940894 Office +354 4781682

Price depends on how many people are with you and the price above was for 4 (there was one other couple booked at the same time as us). Note, that the cave i wanted to shoot was the waterfall cave, but while he took us there to see the conditions, it was right after an avalanche, so it wasn't much of a shot (we were 2 feet from the roof of the cave on heavily packed snow). He did take us to another small cave, which we had to ourselves, but it wasn't as dramatic.

The more famous caves (can't remember the name) you see in a lot of photos are almost unshootable now because the tours are almost as large as antelope canyon.

I'm going for my 3rd trip this October and am taking my kids this time. I'm hoping for minimal snow and clear skies for the aurora.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:55 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Since the Icelandic government has collapsed (new elections coming at the end of Oct), the krona has gone from 130 ISK/1 USD to 106, so if you can pay in krona, you will get a much better deal. Who knows what will happen after the election?

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Monika C wrote:
Since the Icelandic government has collapsed (new elections coming at the end of Oct), the krona has gone from 130 ISK/1 USD to 106, so if you can pay in krona, you will get a much better deal. Who knows what will happen after the election?

The strengthening of the krona has nothing to do with the (very recent) collapse of the Icelandic govt.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:47 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Kee,

Write to the farmer at Ingˇlfsh÷f­i. He's the expert in these activities.

http://glacierguides.is/day-tours

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Kee,

This is the correct link for the farmer at Ingˇlfsh÷f­i -

https://www.fromcoasttomountains.com/icecaving

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:48 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

I'm in Iceland currently and asked my private guide about this. He recommends this outfit as he's the most experienced glacier guide in Iceland -

http://localguide.is/ice-cave-tours

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:21 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Rajan,
The krona weakened, not strengthened. I'm curious, what do you think the cause of such a dramatic drop is? I'm not an economist, but the timing certainly seemed coincidental.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:22 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Monika C wrote:
Rajan,
The krona weakened, not strengthened. I'm curious, what do you think the cause of such a dramatic drop is? I'm not an economist, but the timing certainly seemed coincidental.

Hello Monika,

Since we now get far less krona for the dollar than just a few months ago, I regarded that as the weakening of the dollar against the krona. I think we mean the same thing, just that we use the reverse terminology.

My Icelandic friends tell me there have been tour cancellations as a result of this.

I don't know if the krona is pegged to any currency. For a while now it has hovered around 105 ISK for $1. In June, it hit a high of $1 = 97 ISK. The past week we have seen some favourable movement for us dollar bearers but nothing dramatic.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:31 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Ice Cave Tour Company in Iceland

Yes, Rajan, you are correct. When I was last in Iceland, my Icelandic friend, D, was proudly talking about how the krona had strengthened about 20% since my last visit, being then 130 ISK:1USD. Being jet lagged, I didn't think about it & just went with it. D also said that because Iceland is such a small country, it's very sensitive to influences, and that the tour cancellations that were happening because of the strengthened krona may result in it dropping (it did allow us to get last minute rooms at Hrauneyjuar in the middle of summer).

Thank you for correcting me.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password