FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Sigma 120-300/2.8 vs Nikon 70-200/2.8e FL + 300/4e PF

RandyR
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma 120-300/2.8 vs Nikon 70-200/2.8e FL + 300/4e PF

la puffin wrote:
So you have a 500/4 and want some way to get to 300mm.

I had the Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport (the latest version) for 29 days. I spent a whole day tuning it with the USB dock. IQ wise, it's a decent lens, good, but nothing great. I hated the weight shift when zooming and the reverse direction of coming was nuts. My copy and another also had a focus shift when zooming, meaning it would move the focus point when zooming in or out. Really tough to zoom in quickly with accuracy. I give it a 7.5, a solid average.
...Show more

Weight shift while zooming ?
Zoom is internal

AF was perfect out of the box and IQ was as good as the 300vr
I guess you got a bad copy

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:00 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma 120-300/2.8 vs Nikon 70-200/2.8e FL + 300/4e PF

smjphoto wrote:
Its important to consider where and when your safari is. This affects how easy to change lens because of dust and rain. Some places aren't dusty and some are really dusty depending on the season. It also matters because some areas allow your vehicle to go off road and get very close to animals (5' -20') like elephants or leopards. For these, you might really want something pretty wide. Another consideration is the type of vehicle you will be in. Some are completely open and have no way to use a bean bag. Handling a 500 and a 120-300 and
...Show more

I will be in Masai Mara and Lewa for this trip. At both places, bean bags will be provided according to my agent. Weight is not a big deal as I am flying with 2 other non photographic friends and we bought extra seat on small planes. International flight should be ok as well.
I think 2 Nikon bodies for medium and long tele. I do plan to bring a third body (probably Fuji GFX with 32-64mm (roughly 25-50 in 35mm format) or could be A7r ii but I only have mostly primes and no convenient zoom in this range) I'll stick that on my friends' lap since they want me to take plenty of their pictures as well . I understand that at both places, animals can be quite close sometimes. Both place can get really dusty as well from what I can tell.

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:34 PM
imoretti
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma 120-300/2.8 vs Nikon 70-200/2.8e FL + 300/4e PF

By now, many of you have seen Brad Hill’s review of the Nikon 120-300/2.8 which came out a bit over a year after the last post in this thread. His review compares the new lens with several others discussed above.

http://naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/fieldtest_Nikkor_120-300.html

Just adding for later visitors to the thread… or in the event any of the original participants want to revisit early comments.

Cheers!

Sep 21, 2023 at 04:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.