FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

wonderer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Once we got past late-Winter / early-Spring, my shooting opportunities plummeted! The area was considerably wetter than usual resulting in extended flooding (minor, but enough to make getting close tough). It was dark and dismal with no / little action for weeks on end.

I was just about to give up when I checked out a small, skudgy pond not far from home. As luck would have it, after setting up in a slightly 'off-light' location, I noticed a female Eastern kingbird flying in nest material. Bonanza!

In this set, I'll share some of the images as she built (and lost) that nest. These were taken with a Canon ID IV and the 500 II, sitting on the bank, opposite from the perspective shown in the first picture.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-Fc938js/0/40ba9aa8/XL/kingbird%20tree%202017%20adj%20loc_cpyrt-XL.jpg
1. Nest site shown in red rectangle. It was about 50 ft horizontal distance away and 15 ft up the snag (dead tree)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-hRwpGsC/0/cf458ab7/XL/CV5C1850_adj_cpyrt-XL.jpg
2. Female on the nest during "break" the morning I found it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-L6m2fDq/0/420505e7/XL/CV5C1901_adj_cpyrt-XL.jpg
3. Pulling the nest together.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-NhgCv7N/0/5576d01d/L/CV5C1910_adj_cpyrt-L.jpg
4. Flying cattail fuzz to the nest from a nearby snag.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-9B9K2Q4/0/c4c5bed9/XL/CV5C1929_adj_cpyrt-XL.jpg
5. The wind has blown the nest nearly out of the branch whorl.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-VNhtgGG/0/675e278d/XL/CV5C1935_adj_cpyrt-XL.jpg
6. Not looking good...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-nvbdX5d/0/f7733114/L/CV5C1959_adj_cpyrt-L.jpg
7. Floating nest

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Pics/i-4crJHPL/0/6e6025e6/XL/CV5C1947_adj_cpyrt-XL.jpg
8. Perhaps contemplating starting over?

Sep 03, 2017 at 05:32 PM
NorthMac
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Interesting series, on what appears to have been a dicey choice of nesting site. I tend to see Kingbirds liking to sit on high views to better see insect prey, wonder if that influences its nesting sites?

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:32 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Nicely done Kim ~ Ron

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:44 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Awesome story and photos Kim
Thank you for sharing it...
Have a nice evening,
BB

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:26 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Very nice set Kim.

Birdie

Sep 03, 2017 at 09:31 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

NorthMac wrote:
Interesting series, on what appears to have been a dicey choice of nesting site. I tend to see Kingbirds liking to sit on high views to better see insect prey, wonder if that influences its nesting sites?

Thanks NorthMac. I absolutely agree with you this seemed like a dicey location for the nest. There was no way to get a better view but my supposition was that the heart of snag had partially rotted out, creating a little protection and more room inside it. Some of the pictures reinforce that concept.

My understanding is that the kingbirds do typically nest at or above this height. Ironically enough though, a couple years ago, I was lucky enough to find one in the same area just above eye level (pics here ).

As a precursor to the next set I'll post, despite the setback at this year's nest site, she did rebuild at the same location.

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:09 AM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

surfnron wrote:
Nicely done Kim ~ Ron

Thanks Ron.

---------------------------------------------

BeeBalm wrote:
Awesome story and photos Kim
Thank you for sharing it...
Have a nice evening,
BB

Thank you BB; more to come!

birdied wrote:
Very nice set Kim.

Birdie

Thanks Birdie; it was quite a lot of drama for one morning!

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:11 AM
jdbelcher1998

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

A lucky find and nice (or rather sad) story with these shots. Thanks for sharing.

Peace,

Dave B

Sep 04, 2017 at 08:07 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Excellent sequence Kim! Good eyes!
Douglas

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:34 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

That's a great find Kim. Now you have a place to keep track of for yeast to come.

Have you considered waiding to get past obstructed paths? I find many birds ignore me when I'm in the water.

Morris

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:48 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

That's an excellent sequence, Kim although too bad for the KF....

Joshua

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:20 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Terrific job of documenting this activity, very well done.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:39 AM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

jdbelcher1998 wrote:
A lucky find and nice (or rather sad) story with these shots. Thanks for sharing.

Peace,

Dave B

Thank you Dave. As the story unfolded, I imagined what I figured the ripple effect might be in terms of time to rebuild, how that might limit time to raise & feed chicks, etc. Watching this scene was a great photographic opportunity but had a lot of emotion too.

douter wrote:
Excellent sequence Kim! Good eyes!
Douglas

Thanks Douglas. I was lucky at this same site with kingbirds once before so I definitely keep my eyes out for them!

AGeoJO wrote:
That's an excellent sequence, Kim although too bad for the KF....

Joshua

Thanks Joshua. Not KF though (not this time). They're near the top of my nemesis list...

louie champan wrote:
Terrific job of documenting this activity, very well done.

Thank you Louie. This and subsequent activity was an absolute treat to see!

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Excellent series Kim.

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:05 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

morris wrote:
That's a great find Kim. Now you have a place to keep track of for yeast to come.

Have you considered waiding to get past obstructed paths? I find many birds ignore me when I'm in the water.

Morris

Thanks Morris! My understanding is kingbirds return to the same general location but not the same tree (and in this case, I wouldn't blame them).

I have waded in this pond before and considered it here. However, I know there's 1-2+ feet of soft silt on the bottom and even though I could get closer to the nest, I knew I'd lose elevation and couldn't afford to go any lower.

I also considered renting a longer lens for the rest of the story but I knew I couldn't overcome the height problem / shooting angle (though I did end up using a tripod). I got spoiled at that site a couple years ago when a pair built a nest at dang-near eye level (pics

here ). I got very lucky this year but I would have loved it if this nest was as visible as that one!

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:10 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Summer salvage: Pt. I; E. kingbird nest-building

Ted ellis wrote:
Excellent series Kim.

Thanks Ted!

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:29 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.