Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

jonboring
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Does anyone know of a way to mount Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1? I want to shoot my 35PC on the K1 but Leitax doesn't make a conversion kit for it. Suggestions?

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:25 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

The only thing I can think of is to email David (Leitax) and see if he might be willing to make a custom adapter for you. I beleive there are a few AE lenses he has done this with.

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

I recently emailed David about an EOS adapter for my CZ PC-Distagon 35/2.8 CY, and he simply said there's not enough demand. I didn't think to ask about a special order. Not sure that I want to.

Sep 03, 2017 at 04:37 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

You can always try the other way, and change your camera's mount. =D

Sep 03, 2017 at 05:08 PM
jonboring
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Tariq / jcolwell - I can't believe you guys are still on this site. I haven't posted in years. What body are you guys shooting now?

Back in the early Alt days, I collected 5 CY lenses: 21, 28/2, 35PC, 35-70 and 100MP. I am still shooting them on a 5D2. I have given up on Canon producing a camera with world class dynamic range and looking to move to either the K1 or the new Sony A7Riii or whatever they will call it. It would be easy to mount the CY lenses on that Sony but I suspect Sony will ask $4K or more for it. The k1 has excellent dynamic range and is a bargain at $1900.

I will email David.

Sep 03, 2017 at 05:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

If David won't do it, then I would try SK Grimes.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

jonboring wrote:
Tariq / jcolwell - I can't believe you guys are still on this site. I haven't posted in years. What body are you guys shooting now?

Ha, funny. Don't post often myself these days (often can't add much to what's already been said).

For digital, I'm still shooting with a Sony A7r + alts for most things. I'm also shooting with a Sigma SDQH + 24 Art and CY 85/2.8.

I do find myself shooting a lot more B&W film for personal projects lately and shoot a Pentax 67 + 75/2.8 AL (most of the time). Also an old Reolleicord.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Ha, funny. Don't post often myself these days (often can't add much to what's already been said).

For digital, I'm still shooting with a Sony A7r + alts for most things. I'm also shooting with a Sigma SDQH + 24 Art and CY 85/2.8.

I do find myself shooting a lot more B&W film for personal projects lately and shoot a Pentax 67 + 75/2.8 AL (most of the time). Also an old Reolleicord.

Hi Tariq,

Good to hear from you. How do you like the Pentax 67 75 f/2.8 AL? I am thinking of getting one for my Fuji GFX but haven't heard from any one who actually has the lens. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Tariq,

Good to hear from you. How do you like the Pentax 67 75 f/2.8 AL? I am thinking of getting one for my Fuji GFX but haven't heard from any one who actually has the lens. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Hi Steve,

Funny thing about that 75 AL...I had purchased one about a year ago and was really disappointed by it's performance. It was not as good as my Pentax 67 90/2.8 which really surprised me. On close inspection, I noticed it actually had some fungus so I ended up returning the lens. I don't think the little bit of fungus I saw would have affected the performance I noticed though. Flash forward to earlier this year when a good deal popped up on this lens. I gave it a second try and this copy is amazing (at least on the Pentax 67). By far the sharpest lens I have used on the 67 and even the bokeh seems nice. This is based on scanned results. I don't know how it might perform on the Fuji GFX though. I'm also suspicious of wide sample variation given my experience. Unfortunately, this lens has gone through the roof in price lately. Even the $700 I spent on my current copy back in May has seemingly doubled going by the latest completed ebay auctions.

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Here you go: Adaptist PK+MM multi-mount

One mount to serve them all!

Well, actually, they don't specifically list the K-1 as a camera that can accept their mount, but I'd be very surprised if it can't. They did post back in 2016 before the K-1 was released that they believed their mount would work, but never did confirm this ... or dispute it, for that matter.

So you might want to get in touch with them before you place your order.

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:23 AM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

jcolwell wrote:
I recently emailed David about an EOS adapter for my CZ PC-Distagon 35/2.8 CY, and he simply said there's not enough demand. I didn't think to ask about a special order. Not sure that I want to.

Are you aware of the Fotodiox C/Y -> EOS adapter?

I'm using one on my Cambo Actus (it has a custom-made dumb EOS mount lens panel, so I can mount pretty much any 35mm-format lenses on it via an adapter) and it works great!

(Never mind the two screw holes. I added those because the EOS mount doesn't have a lock on it, which allows me to rotate the lenses I mount so their aperture controls are on the side instead of the top, and then I lock the Fotodiox adapters in place with two M4 screws.)

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Audii-Dudii wrote:
Are you aware of the Fotodiox C/Y -> EOS adapter?

Thanks, yes. I use a variety of adapters, including; Fotodiox (Pro and not), Rayqual (Kindai), generic, and the Leitax mount. I'm currently using a generic CY/EOS adapter on the PC-Distagon, and it works surprisingly well (infinity stop is right on, and there's no obvious asymmetry), but I like to get a 'proper' adapter for each of my keepers; preferably Leitax. OTOH, I'm using Fotodiox Pro Leica-R to EOS adapters for my Summicron 50/2 and Elmarit 90/2.8, and they're totally fine.

Sep 04, 2017 at 03:24 PM
jonboring
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Contax CY AE lenses on Pentax K1?

Audii-Dudii I believe the K1 was left off the list for a reason. I remember reading about some issues that occurred with the K1, just do not remember the details. Also, the product warning page scares me off.

I email David @ Leitax and he declined to build a custom one. There is a Leitax option for the Sony A mount but that camera does not have the best dynamic range. I guess I wait for the Sony A7Riii or A9R whatever they call it. I will also reach out to SK Grimes.

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:45 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.