New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 3 Lr whines

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3 Lr whines

It's possible, nay probable, that I've just missed some of this, but can't figure it out.

1) Why isn't Rename an option when you right click a photo?
2) File> Plug-in Extras. Can't add many plugins and worse can't delete old ones. Even more interesting are the ones that show up at right click Edit In> but aren't in the plug-in extras list. (Am I missing something?)
3) Can't get rid of old copyright marks at Export>Export>Watermarking>Edit Watermark (Ditto above question.)

Thoughts?

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:13 PM
lesaus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3 Lr whines

OntheRez wrote:
It's possible, nay probable, that I've just missed some of this, but can't figure it out.

Thoughts?

In PS Elements you select the image in the Organizer (left click), then click on "File" at the top left for a drop-down menu that has rename as one of its options.

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:57 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3 Lr whines

If you go to Status section of plugin and select Show in Explorer you can delete the plugin folder.

Go to Edit->Presets->Show Lightroom Presets Folder->Lightroom->Watermarks

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:16 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3 Lr whines

In PS Elements you select the image in the Organizer (left click), then click on "File" at the top left for a drop-down menu that has rename as one of its options.

Yeah, I can get to it from the menu, but it's a pain when virtually everything else that can be done to a photo is accessed via the right click. Did note while rooting around, that F2 is the shortcut so I'll start using that.

If you go to Status section of plugin and select Show in Explorer you can delete the plugin folder.

Go to Edit->Presets->Show Lightroom Presets Folder->Lightroom->Watermarks

A little different under OS X, but I got there. D*mn awkward way to handle presets. I've suggested the rename to Adobe a couple of times. Wonder if they pay any attention to user suggestions?

In my mucking about I found that in the watermark dialog one can delete, rename, and so on. Funny, considering how many times I've been there, I'd never noticed.

Thanks

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:33 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3 Lr whines

Lightroom has its strange quirks. Some things i do to images all the time can only be done from the menu, when a right-click would be way easier. And the inability to assign key functions to hot keys is also a pain. It has lots of detractors on the forums, but I find it works very well for me.

In case you run into more annoying problems, here are some resources I use and recommend.

Scott Kelby has some very useful books.

Kelby, S. (2015). The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC book for Digital Photographers. New Riders.

Kelby, S. (2015). How Do I Do That in Lightroom? Santa Barbara, CA: Rocky Nook.

There are lots of great web sites too with text and video help:

Julieanne Kost's Lightroom videos
http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Laura Shoe's Lightroom 6 tutorials and training
http://laurashoe.com/learn-lightroom-cc-2015-and-lightroom-6-free-tutorials/

Victoria Bampton, the Lightroom Queen
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/

PhotographyLife's post-processing tips for Lightroom users
https://photographylife.com/post-processing-tips-for-beginners

Adobe's Lightroom help and support site
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/topics.html

Adobe's Lightroom YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeLightroom/videos

A few things I discovered that are relevant when you're using these kinds of resources:

* Lightroom is in its 6th edition, and it's changed a lot from edition-to-edition. It even changes subtly (and not so subtly) within editions. Fortunately, even with all the changes, the fundamentals of Lightroom have not changed much since earlier versions -- so even material about earlier versions can still be useful.

* Almost anything you can do in Lightroom can be done in more than one way (and sometimes in many ways). There is rarely one "right" way to do something, but everyone using and writing about Lightroom has an opinion. If you don't like an approach or technique that is being promoted, then there's probably another one.

* It's also handy that Lightroom 6 for Mac and Windows are almost identical -- so it doesn't matter if a web site or video is showing how to use it on a Mac, but you use Windows, or vice versa.

Good luck, Rob

Sep 03, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3 Lr whines

OntheRez wrote:

don't know , but then its not hard to do anyway . in Library mode . select the image and in METADATA section on the right there is FILENAME . just type your name change there . Simples

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:13 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3 Lr whines

Rob,

Thanks for the resources. I've been hacking at Lr since Apple began to let Aperture waste away. So I guess that's more than 6 years? It is oddly inconsistent, and I've noticed over the versions that things will abruptly be different for no discernible reason. Of course the OS folks do the same thing to us all the time. Interface changes seem to lack a coherent researched basis. The field of cognitive science has a lot of useful things to say about how the human-machine interface can work for the user rather than bending the user to the program's will.

Apple did have an excellent set of guidelines. Tognazzini's dictum remain among the best ever enunciated. Things were promising till Apple went haring off after "cool new" and ignored most of its original precepts. This link has a nice visual of the changes the OS has gone thru. (Tog's book is still a hilarious and thoughtful read.)

Don't want to light up old wars, but Apple - beginning with its "imitation" of Xerox's Alto that led to the original Mac OS with the smiling face - actually paid attention to a document centric and human cognitive interface. Oddly no one else regardless of who you nominate: PC/MS DOS, either main stem of UNIX, OS/2, Windows, Linux, (forget mainframes) has ever really done so.

The geeks (I have on occasion been accused of such , never seem to figure out that the rest of us don't want to win some sort of intellectual war game over ideas - some quixotic quest of form over substance. We just want to get things done, and frankly the machine and the OS are in the way instead of being helpful "thinking tools."

Of course Adobe long ago crazed off into its own warped dimension formed from the unholy matrimony of nerdness and marketing droid "cool." :twack: (Though if you really want to hack thru the deadly underbrush - try AutoCAD. Oh. That hurt )

Anyway, Lr and much more Ps continue to bite my ankles even when I think I know what I'm doing. The only promising thing I've seen in this field is the arrival of Affinity Photo. I still haven't committed to it, but it does show real possibility. At least it tries to be rational in how it approaches the image. Also good that it's now cross-platform.

I'll shut up. Got to actually do some work. On the deadline.

Thanks again for the links.

Robert

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3 Lr whines

"forget mainframes"? But they were my bread and butter - my rice bowl - for my whole career... and allowed me to have a pension now to live on until California suffers the Big One.

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:38 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3 Lr whines

OntheRez wrote:

I assume you know you can use F2 in the library module to rename files.

OntheRez wrote:
2) File> Plug-in Extras. Can't add many plugins and worse can't delete old ones. Even more interesting are the ones that show up at right click Edit In> but aren't in the plug-in extras list. (Am I missing something?)

Plug-ins are added by putting the lrplugin folder into a folder, then using the Plugin Manager to install it. Most Windows 10 users put plugin folders in the folder c: > users > [username] > appdata > roaming > adobe > lightroom > modules (this site will not permit backslash symbols so I assume you can decode this). You can use the Plugin Manager to disable plugins. You can delete them by remove the lrplugin folder. I don't know of any limit on the number of plugins that can be installed and enabled.

The options in Edit in are not really plugins, they are external editors, like Photoshop or the NIK applications. They do not operate within LR but do interface to it.

OntheRez wrote:
3) Can't get rid of old copyright marks at Export>Export>Watermarking>Edit Watermark (Ditto above question.)

Thoughts?

Sep 04, 2017 at 12:23 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3 Lr whines

Ernie,

A big iron lover? An extended masochist? I hawked my year's student loan for a Kaypro and then traded my chainsaw for a blazing fast 300 baud modem. Never had to sit in a lab again! I still had to wade thru Fortran, COBOL, and can't even remember the IBM utilities. Of course you came out ahead of me. "Microcomputers" certainly didn't give me a retirement. Still at times I've made decent living working with them.

dclark,

Thanks for reinforcing some of what I've learned here. Stumbled across the F2 option. Don't know why I never saw that before. Did find out that modifying watermarks was easy to do. Learning that you had to dig down to config folders to deal with plugins was new. Interestingly enough - at least with OS X - most plugins/external editors will automatically install in Lr and Ps if you tell them to do so.

What I haven't gotten yet is how to remove items from the Edit In list. The programs available are no longer extant, but still listed in the menu as options. Have to dig a little deeper, I guess.

Thanks again

Robert

Sep 04, 2017 at 08:41 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3 Lr whines

Robert, try edit>preferences>external editing

Other things may be stored in
c:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingAdobeLightroomExternal Editor Presets
or elsewhere.
You'll the location of some with the plug-in manager in Lr...
file>plug-in manager...
They seem to be all over the place.

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:42 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.