New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

Chdwil
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

Hello fellow FMers. I am over here visiting from the Sony forums and wanted to get some info on some Canon gear. I stumbled across this setup at a yard sale for $15 and decided to get it for the heck of it. I have Googled the bellows and camera and have some basic ideas of what they are. I just wanted to see what the experienced Canon shooters here can tell based on their own use.

Canon Bellows FL

Canon F-1 with flash Coupler

Both are in what appears to be very good physical and mechanical condition.

Thx
Chad

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:38 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

Macro heaven.

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:49 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

High quality bellow system for very close up macro photography. You'll need to get an adapter for any new Canon body to use with it. An EOS to FL mount adapter of some kind or you can shoot film in the F1 body of course. You can use the included lens on the bellows as is. Have fun. It's a nice camera to keep on your shelf at any rate.

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:29 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

I had one of these years ago. Super for ultra macro work, plus you can (I hope) still find a front attachment that allows for slide copying and cropping in camera.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

I had that bellows & camera once upon a time!

I found that using the automatic lens stop-down feature of the bellows that's actuated by the camera to automatically stop down a mounted lens a split second before the picture is taken caused notable camera/lens vibration. This vibration is caused by the two small shiny round metal bars that run the length of the bellows base rail that move sideways when stopping down the lens before each shot the camera takes. I ended up not using this feature automatically by instead manually stopping the lens down using the lever on the front of the camera body ahead of taking a picture to avoid the vibration. BTW There’s a little lever (not shown in your picture) to reset the aperture to open after taking a picture.

The small black “U” shaped clip on the top is to mount a simple scale with metric and magnification markings for one or perhaps more lens focal lengths IIRC.

The FL lens shown does not have aperture setting reporting connection capability to the newer F-1 camera so the lens needs to be manually stopped down during metering. The Bellows FL is the same way even with newer FD series lenses mounted to it. This camera is a later version with small improvements of the original all mechanical shutter version F-1. The electronic shutter version cam along later. The metering battery was a 1.35 volt 625-type mercury cell that is no longer made however there are adapted batteries out there as I understand it.

The flash shoe shown looks like simple one that attaches to the camera’s viewfinder eyepiece accessory feature without any electrical connection to the flash. The actual Canon flash shoe for this camera mounts over the film rewind knob and does provide basic electrical connection between the camera & flash.

Have fun with some film!

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chdwil
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

Photonadave wrote:
I had that bellows & camera once upon a time!

I found that using the automatic lens stop-down feature of the bellows that's actuated by the camera to automatically stop down a mounted lens a split second before the picture is taken caused notable camera/lens vibration. This vibration is caused by the two small shiny round metal bars that run the length of the bellows base rail that move sideways when stopping down the lens before each shot the camera takes. I ended up not using this feature automatically by instead manually stopping the lens down using the lever on
...Show more

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I think I am going to try a Canon to E mount adapter with my A7rii. Just to see what it can do.

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:06 AM
Counterpoint

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

That Canon F-1 has one of the largest and brightest viewfinders of any camera I've used. I take photographs with mine at least once a week.

Sep 04, 2017 at 12:33 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

Chdwil wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I think I am going to try a Canon to E mount adapter with my A7rii. Just to see what it can do.

I have a very similar FD-mount based Canon macro bellow since several years, and I took some very nice macro shots with it in the past. Lighting is key here - especially when the bellow is extended you will need to compensate for stops of light. And yes, with a simple FD/E-mount adapter you can mount it onto your A7R II camera. Have fun with it!

Edited on Sep 04, 2017 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:12 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

I'm no expert on older Canon mounts but I believe it's an FD mount? So you'll need an FD to Sony E mount adapter. I hope someone else chimes in to correct me if I'm wrong.

Chdwil wrote:

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for Some Experienced Canon Users for Info

Nice find!

I wish somebody can come out with a variable length extension tube for DSLRs. This should be easy and cheap to make, and the zooming action can be twist type that can be locked at any length.

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password