1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2017 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

DavidBM wrote:
I didn't know silent shutter fixed the problem (I guess I thought it would be as bad since both shutter curtains are electronic).

Thanks Fred! That's much less hassle than turning EFCS on and off! (lets hope they give more options over EFCS control in the next body...)

I think the OOF rendering issue is noticeable when combining electronic with mechanical. If we go all mechanical or all electronic, it is fine.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

What's the downside of all electronic, all the time?

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

Jonathan Brady wrote:

Bit depth; and noise. Not enough to worry about if you don't need to pull deep shadows.
Strangely it may never matter much; at low ISO you've got plenty of DR to play with so it's doesn't matter if you lose a bit; at high ISO other noise sources drown out the difference so there is no effective worsening.

That's all assuming that you are shooting non-moving things, as Fred said. Otherwise rolling shutter will visibly distort things if they are moving; the faster they move, the more the distortion.

EDIT
On the A9, the e-shutter takes only about 1/160 sec to scan the image, so you'll only get distortion on very fast moving things.

Edited on Sep 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

Jonathan Brady wrote:

On the A9, there is pretty much no side-effect. (flash sync. comes to mind)
On the A7RII, the silent shutter takes about 1/15 of a second to complete its travel across the sensor so you can only use it when shooting static subjects. Otherwise you will get major skew on your images.
There is also a slight noise penalty but that should not be an issue in bright light. (No noise penalty on the A9)

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:31 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

When you compare the FE 35 f1.4 zony to something like the v1 canon 35 f1.4, it's not bad.

Considering every copy of the Sigma 35 f1.4 Art I've owned consistently is significantly sharper and is also significantly cheaper though, I find the performance of the Zony to be hard to accept.

Owned 4 copies when I shot Sony, and none of them were critically sharp wide open.

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:53 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

The Sigma 35mm Art was the first lens that ever made me take notice of out-of-focus blur, and I mean that in a bad way. It's pretty nauseating. I had major, MAJOR issues with consistent focus (on my DSLR) as well.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:35 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

DavidBM wrote:
Bit depth; and noise. Not enough to worry about if you don't need to pull deep shadows.
Strangely it may never matter much; at low ISO you've got plenty of DR to play with so it's doesn't matter if you lose a bit; at high ISO other noise sources drown out the difference so there is no effective worsening.

That's all assuming that you are shooting non-moving things, as Fred said. Otherwise rolling shutter will visibly distort things if they are moving; the faster they move, the more the distortion.

EDIT
On the A9, the e-shutter takes only about 1/160 sec to scan the
...Show more

1/160 still doesn't seem that fast. Yet, the a9 announcement featured a golf swing frozen by silent shutter. I don't get how they could do that with only 1/160. (?)

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:30 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

Jonathan Brady wrote:
The Sigma 35mm Art was the first lens that ever made me take notice of out-of-focus blur, and I mean that in a bad way. It's pretty nauseating. I had major, MAJOR issues with consistent focus (on my DSLR) as well.

I've had the same issues.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:44 AM
jeffersoncasey
• •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

It's an old thread but I'd just share my experience anyway since this thread is quite informative and hope I can help those who's looking at this lens.

Basically it took me 2 copies to be happy with, first one being used copy as it's somehow rare in stocks and availability nowadays even for a used copy, in where I lived. Ordered a new one few months back, and received it recently, turned out to be a stellar copy.

It's easy to make assumption when one doesn't have at least 2 copies to comepare side by side, I assumed the first one was normal as the sharpness in the center is what I would expect, and edges/corners were soft, pretty much the same except maybe bottom left (instead of the common right side softness).

Coming from CV 40mm 1.2, somehow the lens didn't produce as much contrast or 'bite' for lack of better words, but I'd just use it anyway, and put a +1 on sharpness and contrast and be happy for SOOC jpegs (I shoot both and usually use RAW but for not so important shots I use JPEG).

However, on the new copy first thing I noticed was the contrast seems to be different, or perhaps increase in micro contrast. Shots simply has more bite to them, and upon portrait testing, I'm seeing over sharpening (!) with the +1 sharpness setting which didn't happen on the previous copy. Also the bokeh noticeably smoother and less outlines in busier background. It felt as if the optics were so well aligned that not just the sharpness but everything improved compared to the old one.

And last but not least, identical scene (wall test) confirmed that the new copy indeed produce stellar uniformity across the frame, center sharpness has a lot more bite with corners being just ever so slightly less sharp, in face to my eyes the corners is perhaps as sharp or better than the previous copy in the center (!).

Jul 09, 2018 at 12:24 AM
jeffersoncasey
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

Double post

Edited on Jul 09, 2018 at 04:27 AM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2018 at 12:24 AM
Flaxx74
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

Mine seems to be very sharp across the frame from 1.4 as well, did the Gletscherbruch Test following the English instructions that BastianK posted on phillipreeve.net a couple of days ago:

https://flic.kr/p/LP9uAW

I have never used a 35/1.4 before, so the pics that I got documenting the 4th birthday of our youngest (bbq in the woods) were a revelation. I wish I would have gotten it sooner. Had the 28/2 and 55/18 before, but rarely used the 28/2 for kids.

Jul 09, 2018 at 01:22 AM
damart81

p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

So the consensus is, is to turn off EFCS when shooting at wide apertures regardless of shutter speed? I just received a 35mm 1.4, primarily for environmental portraits, and want to primarily shoot wide open.

Thanks!

Jul 09, 2018 at 12:29 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

damart81 wrote:
So the consensus is, is to turn off EFCS when shooting at wide apertures regardless of shutter speed? I just received a 35mm 1.4, primarily for environmental portraits, and want to primarily shoot wide open.

Thanks!

No, only for shutter speed of >1/1000sec. Even if you use shutter speed of greater than that, it doesn't pose any major issue. At the most, the bokeh is rendered a tiny bit harsher and that mostly of > 1/4000sec. I haven't seen any ill-effect even at 1/6400sec to be honest but some folks may have reported some dark bands in the upper part in landscape orientation.

Jul 09, 2018 at 12:39 PM
Mirror
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Your experience with the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA

I am waiting on my 4th copy to test since I started with Sony. The glass never let me sleep and I currently decide between the 40mm CF Batis and the Sony Zeiss. Question concerning testing. Can the 35mm 1.4 be tested wide open with the Gletscherbruchtest or stopped down a bit? If so, how much? Until now my previous 3 copies were poor on the right side. Any further suggestions to test for a good copy? THX in advance.

Feb 01, 2019 at 03:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.