New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

MintMar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I passed on 1Ds3 altogether after being burnt with 1D3 with a high serial number which was hopeless next to my 1D2N (I even switched the cameras during the shoot to rule out operator error).

I guess we heard way less about 1Ds3 AF problems because people did not shoot as much sports with it. On the other hand, my 1D3 was way off at a bright static target with a central point so gods know what was wrong there. The 1D2N focused the same object perfectly.

I ended up selling that unlucky Mk3 to a guy who said he'd take it anyway because he was doing a lot of manual focusing. Reportedly he found no AF problems. But how come I could focus the 1D2N so much better? That couldn't be just me. On paper, the central points of those cameras were identical.

In the end, I stuck with 1D2N and 40D for a long time until I could buy 6D rather than trying to buy 1Ds3 that came down in price.

Sep 04, 2017 at 03:17 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Cabin recalled and repaired those 1d3 with issues, never heard the same issues with the FF version though. My 1d3 had its mirror box replaced. The 1d4 was awesome, except for low light AF with 3rd party lenses.

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

My 1st 1Ds3 was DOA - didn't fire up
My 2nd 1Ds3 had AF issues - Canon replaced it with another one
My 3rd 1Ds3 was a great camera without any issues

FWIW...

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:29 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

IIRC you could let Canon replace the mirror box of the 1Ds3. I can't remember if that was based on a recall or on one's own initiative.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Several years ago I bought a nice used 1Ds3 from Jim Colwell here on FM. In testing, I found it had minor focus inaccuracy with my lenses. Having previously sent in a used purchase 1D3 to CPS (from anil007, IIRC) having Canon replace the whole mirror box and focusing brain at n/c, I felt confident that Canon would do the right thing on the 1Ds3. They did -- a complete overhaul (one of my bodies even got an new freebie shutter!).

As long as Canon services the 1D3, owners have a free pass for any issues on the AF (same may hold for the 1Ds3, YMMV).

Needless to say, I'm very happy with these used purchases and still own them and they work perfectly, even though I don't use them much these days.

Sep 05, 2017 at 05:25 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

The 1DS III had a number of issues (sounds like some people in this thread experienced some of them too). There were at least three separate service advisories from Canon for abnormal amounts of oil being thrown onto the sensor, off-center AF issues, and mirror box issues. The 1D III is included on all the same advisories. Make sure those things have been looked at and taken care of if necessary if you end up with one of those bodies.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:25 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

CanadaMark wrote:
The 1DS III had a number of issues (sounds like some people in this thread experienced some of them too). There were at least three separate service advisories from Canon for abnormal amounts of oil being thrown onto the sensor, off-center AF issues, and mirror box issues. The 1D III is included on all the same advisories. Make sure those things have been looked at and taken care of if necessary if you end up with one of those bodies.

I did a quick Google search and found none of the service advisories you mention. I did find all kinds for the 1D III and for the issues you quoted. If you have links to your claims, I'd appreciate seeing the details of the advisory. Many confuse the 1.3 crop sensor 1D III and the FF 1Ds III.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:32 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

thats why I asked, I knew the 1DIII was a basket case, but didn't hear of any issues with the 1DSIII

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I bought a 1D Mark III off a member here - my first 1 series. It was excellent as were all non-affected units.

You do know they shot the 2008 Beijing Olympics, right?

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:26 AM
melcat
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Some 1Ds Mk III bodies had a problem throwing oil around inside the mirror box and onto the sensor when new, and mine was one of them. That isn't unusual for high-end DSLRs (what was unusual was one Nikon model that kept on doing it). You just kept cleaning until the excess oil has gone (just don't do what I did and wreck the sensor by cleaning too hard.) This problem should be long gone with any 1Ds Mk III now, and it was probably only a few of then that were oiled too much at the factory.

The only reliability problems you're likely to encounter with one of these are:

1. There was a firmware version that drained the battery. This wasn't the version delivered new and it isn't the latest version, so it will only occur on a body where only some of the updates were applied. Sometimes people leave bodies like that because the very latest firmware complains about certain third-party batteries.

2. If it has the original battery, count on replacing it, because of its age. Genuine LP-E4N batteries are expensive, and for a while were impossible to find in Australia. The more obtainable ones from the current 1-series bodies will work, but won't charge in the charger that comes with the camera - and the current charger costs a bomb and doesn't work on 12V. I recently found two LP-E4Ns quite easily, so I'm OK for a few more years.

BTW the 1d Mk III isn't a "basket case". I bought one discontinued, and it's a champ.

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Never had an issue with oil on the sensor, or focusing, or battery drain, quite a bit of dust though as the auto-cleaner is largely useless IMHO. Most of it blows off with a rocket and the rest I grab with a sensorklear II pen

Sep 06, 2017 at 10:46 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

mogud wrote:
I did a quick Google search and found none of the service advisories you mention. I did find all kinds for the 1D III and for the issues you quoted. If you have links to your claims, I'd appreciate seeing the details of the advisory. Many confuse the 1.3 crop sensor 1D III and the FF 1Ds III.

Those were from memory but these are the exact advisories and they apply to both the 1Ds III and 1D III...I hope the links work they are a bit long:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/notice-eos-1dmiii-oil/!ut/p/z1/pZJLc4IwFIV_SxddZhIJRViC4mArtdZHIRsnQNS0kiBEqf--sXXjoHQ6zSqPk9xzvxxIYASJoAe-popLQbd6HRNrGU4COxj20Gg8e_KQ63vjKbb6GPUwfPsWoBvDRZBc3B8YPnLD2WIU4iFGr9b5fouAtNdfQAJJKlShNjBOqZBiKVhds2RZlDLbp6q6R-cZoNmBV7LkTO8JqXjKAJMV6GQ55xxIvj29VaQ8g7HNEkxT29aHFgMmsxGwrW4HdBDCjoNoZias4b1hjrSjefwNjqZvlGEvXGtbVG0AFysJo5TmrKQVjKp9UchSgazaljD6aaUCOS0_gG5I2yOXBdCr00Wu1bcC59lDw8lDQ7DwTC1w-j1sDE4mz4KWHmLNoHuTgaEDcuCshnMhy1znafpHxEGTUoPydUrXP1hr-ftuR1wdGikU-1Qnnv9MTZHP57mNj4DEL4W_Cn1skuRY330BfU5tlw!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2FCanon_NewWeb_Products%2Fproduct-advisories%2Fnotice-eos-1dmiii-oil

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/notice-eos-1dmiii-afaccuracy-miscpage/!ut/p/z1/rZJBU8IwEIV_iwePmYSGtnAsBQeUqqAgzYXZpilGaVLTAPLvDcrFqaLOmFOSeZt978tihheYKdjKFVipFazdOWXBMpkMO8NRTMY391c9Eg16N3c06FMSU_zwLiDfrIhg9qn-whuQKLmfjxM6omQaHOtPCNjp_nPMMOPKVvYRpxyUVksldjuRLSuj8w239Tk57hDkW1lrI4W7U9pKLpDQNWrlpZQSQQGcbwzwPSplzStYicPbFZc5TsMw5L7IPBQC-Kjtt3KUhaRANIOslROgncxvZGmYZadRXf4Ey_2GZ5I4WTlbYB-RVIXGCw6lMFDjRb2pKm0syuu1wYuPaDUqwTwjF9DZY58bkGk3JFHQD4bd6x4ZTfyGYN5rO0G3H1Pv4mDyKDiRIXUMwm8ZeG5gtlLs8ExpU7r5uvsj4mGTUoPy15R-9-GuVj69vLDIDZVWVrzaA99_nqqqnM3KDt0jlt5WgyIZ0DbL9ruzNwJpfqg!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2FCanon_NewWeb_Products%2Fproduct-advisories%2Fnotice-eos-1dmiii-afaccuracy-miscpage

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/notice-eos-1dmiii-err99/!ut/p/z1/pZJNc8IgEIZ_Sw89MmCIMTkmfoy2ptb6UcPFQUClNRAJav33xdaLk2qnU06w8-7uuw8LCZxBouherqiVWtGNe2ckmKfDbtjtNVF_MH5MUNxOBiMctDBqYvj6JUBXTowgucjveG0Up-NpP8U9jF6Cc_4NAbndfwoJJEzZwq5hxqjSaq7E4SAW88JovmO2vEfnG6B8L0ttpHAxpa1kAghdghrPpZRAGBNFp2oFk9zVqjeioCZqwBd1Bny-9EHIOAeLkAlfhF7U8HDFfcUeuQ3n4Tc8jr9n0ma6craoXQOplhrOGM2FoSWclbui0MYCXm4MnH0PU4KcmnfgRnL2yGUD9BI1UBy0gm70lKDesF4RTBPfCaJWE3udk8mz4MYMmWPQuMrgBGkvxQFOlDa526jRHxF3q5QqlH-mdO2LnVq-bbckdoujlRUf9kT035tT5JNJHuIjINlz0V6mbeyTxfFw9wkAKhEy/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2FCanon_NewWeb_Products%2Fproduct-advisories%2Fnotice-eos-1dmiii-err99

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:46 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

darryn patch wrote:
thats why I asked, I knew the 1DIII was a basket case, but didn't hear of any issues with the 1DSIII

It was an excellent camera if you knew how to use it - I had a couple of them and they were absolutely trouble-free.

I bought the last one from a wealthy hobbyist who had only put a few hundred shots on it - he sold it for peanuts after taking a workshop where the instructor (a Nikon shooter) told him it was a bad camera that couldn't focus...

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:51 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

CanadaMark wrote:
Those were from memory but these are the exact advisories and they apply to both the 1Ds III and 1D III...I hope the links work they are a bit long:

Thx for the links.

The oil issue relates to early production models of the 1Ds iii and had been resolved with later production units. The AF accuracy advisory was fixed with a FW release soon after the body was available. I have never heard of any mirror box issues.

I really think the 1Ds iii issues were minor in comparison to the 1D III. I bought mine used with a later production serial number aware of these advisories and the advisories were not a deal breaker for me at all.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:50 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

mogud wrote:
Thx for the links.

The oil issue relates to early production models of the 1Ds iii and had been resolved with later production units. The AF accuracy advisory was fixed with a FW release soon after the body was available. I have never heard of any mirror box issues.

I really think the 1Ds iii issues were minor in comparison to the 1D III. I bought mine used with a later production serial number aware of these advisories and the advisories were not a deal breaker for me at all.

You're welcome. I think someone echoed this already, but I suspect the issues were likely just more noticeable on the 1D III being a higher volume sports camera with higher frame rate than the 1Ds III. That is of course speculation and we will never know though for sure. All I'm saying is I suggest that the OP do his due diligence if he goes for a used 1Ds III or 1D III as they had their fair share of issues and not everyone would have taken advantage of the advisories or even known about the advisories.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:58 PM
melcat
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

CanadaMark wrote:
.I hope the links work they are a bit long

They're not selectable on iOS...

Thanks for posting them. It's hard to know what to make of the second one, because the language is ambiguous. Read one way, it seems to be saying that only the 1D Mk III had a hardware problem, but firmware improvements were applied to both. Certainly new firmware for this came down the pipe for my 1D Mk III and 1Ds Mk III bodies at the same time, but both were later production (2010 and 2011).

The last one is now misleading, because the firmware has since been changed. Previously, Err 99 was "Non-specific error". Starting with 1D Mk III firmware 1.2.5 and 1DS Mk III firmware 1.1.4 Err 99 is replaced by:

Err 10: File malfunction
Some sort of error in files written (or attempted to be written) to the memory card has been detected.

Err 20: Mechanical malfunction
Within the mirror, shutter or aperture mechanism (most likely), some sort of disturbance, error or lock-up has been detected. This error code doesn't specify where the exact problem is, but points to the cause being mechanical rather than an electronic gremlin.

Err 30: Shutter malfunction
Unlike Error 20, this one does point to some sort of problem with the shutter; it could be either a mechanical problem, or some sort of electronic communication error.

Err 40: Power source malfunction
An internal error in getting power from the battery to some part of the camera has been detected. Most likely, it's not a simple weak battery, although of course a battery error is a possibility.

Err 50: Electronic control malfunction
Unlike Error 20, which points to something mechanical, this one reports to the photographer that some sort of electronic error or interference with internal communication is occurring. However, it does not specify any further what or where the exact source of the malfunction may be.

Err 70: Image malfunction
Something related to the data being captured and/or written to the memory card is detected as being problematic in some way; this may not be a simple memory card error, although of course that can't be ruled out.

Err 80: Electronic control or image malfunction

Err 99: Mechanical charge mechanism malfunction

Note Err 40 (bad battery) used to be reported as Err 99. I personally saw an Err 99 for what was, in fact, a faulty battery on my 1D Mk III, and it did lock up the shutter mechanism. Presumably some customers were mistaking battery problems for "the AF problem" and Canon was motivated to fix the error reporting.

Sep 07, 2017 at 09:42 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I moved from the 1DsII to the sIII for higher ISO. The sII will always remain one of my favorite cameras. There was something about its IQ that's never been touched by any other camera.

I got the 1DsIII used so don't know who did what to it before I purchased it. It worked perfectly for me and I only let go of it to move to the 1Dx which in someways wasn't a direct improvement. Assuming you aren't ISO bound, I'd recommend it.

The 1DIII was "another whole kettle of fish." I ran a used one for a bit (then a 7D). The 1DIII just wasn't much good. Maybe was for others. I was able to sell both off and get to a used 1DIV. Now that was an excellent camera.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:44 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

If you where looking at a 1Dx just go buy it.
Ive owned and used them all extensively.
1Dx one camera to rule them all...oh exceot the 1DxMk2 it does rule them all...

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:56 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

dehowie wrote:
If you where looking at a 1Dx just go buy it.
Ive owned and used them all extensively.
1Dx one camera to rule them all...oh exceot the 1DxMk2 it does rule them all...

it'll be either a 1DS3 or a 1Dx depending on how much I have to fork out for a telephoto gota buy the whole shebang lens body back pack tripod head cards and I got 10K Aussie to do it with

Sep 10, 2017 at 08:24 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

BUT, I love the IQ of my 1DsIII and as a landscape body I desire nothing more BUT in your situation I would choose the 1DX because of the speed and most importantly the buffer size.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:59 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password