New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

darryn patch
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I am thinking that for what I am going to be be shooting that the 1DS MkIII (was always my dream camera) might be as good a choice as the 1DX I was looking at.

But my main concern is did the DSIII have the AF issues that effected the 1D MkIII, ifso is there a range of serial numbers to avoid, did it get the coloured sticker to indicate it was serviced if so where was it put?? inside the batter chamber I think it was?

So the pros for me getting the 1DS III is its FF, 21MP, top notch AF, I don't need to shoot high ISO or low light, it'll only costs me $1000AUD (2K Ceaper than 1Dx), produces stunning shots with L glass, shoots 5 frames per sec which is ample considering I grew up shooting film so hold and hope has never been my style and I am totaly familliar with its CFs and menus

So for shooting surfing, the 1DS MkIII I think does everything I need it to do and will give me 2k more to spend on a tripod and head $1000 lowepro super trekkar $500 and a 1.4x converter $300 and 4 cartons of corona which I think seals the deal, I can grab a near new one with sub 10K frames on it for $1000, I think its a no brainer

Can anyone whose shot surfing or sport list any deficiencies the DSIII has that I might be over looking

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:27 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

How about a 1D Mark IV or an 80D?

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:18 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

darryn patch wrote:
I am thinking that for what I am going to be be shooting that the 1DS MkIII (was always my dream camera) might be as good a choice as the 1DX I was looking at.

But my main concern is did the DSIII have the AF issues that effected the 1D MkIII, ifso is there a range of serial numbers to avoid, did it get the coloured sticker to indicate it was serviced if so where was it put?? inside the batter chamber I think it was?

So the pros for me getting the 1DS III is its FF, 21MP, top
...Show more

I still shoot my 1Ds3 professionally all the time, it's still got the best low ISO IQ of any camera I own. Very 'un-digital' files, if that makes sense

It was a truly great camera in 2008, but it does have deficiencies by modern standards, if you can live with those then it makes a great photographic tool:

The dust removal system doesn't really work, the LCD is small and not very detailed, there is a small but perceptible delay before the image appears on the LCD, you can only manually select 19 of the AF points, for me 800 ISO is the limit, 1600 is usable but personally I don't, no AF in liveview, in fact no nothing in liveview, a very early implementation, no level, OEM batteries are very expensive (same for all 1-series), direct acces to the AF points via the rear controller requires a firmware update (and isn't mentioned in the manual)

I could upgrade but for me, shooting at low ISO and generally on a tripod there would be little benefit plus I've owned mine from new since 2009 and I'm emotionally attached to it, which is a bit ridiculous but I am

That said, since 2009 I have had precisely one thing go wrong in hundreds of jobs, one day the lcd went a bit weird but put itself right after I pulled the battery out, beyond that it has performed flawlessly, it is a quality dslr with one of the most satisfying clunk shutter sounds I know of. The only maintenance has been sensor cleaning by Canon every so often.

I have never had any AF issues, I think they were limited to the 1DIII (if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say)

It's not my go-to camera for everything, I have many others but for when I want those things the 1Ds3 does well I have no hesitation but to use it, I see no reason to change that

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:36 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

yeah thats what I reckon too, the live view is neither here nor there for me I dont usually use the LCD surfing wont need more than ISO 200

|I reckon its a goer

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:46 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

darryn patch wrote:
yeah thats what I reckon too, the live view is neither here nor there for me I dont usually use the LCD surfing wont need more than ISO 200

|I reckon its a goer

As long as you can get a good reliable one then yes, they are great

Sep 03, 2017 at 04:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I never had any AF problems with my 1DsIII or 1DIII. I currently use a 1DIV for shooting action, including surfing at Lawrencetown, when a hurricane is in the neighbourhood. I used a 1DX and 1DIV together for shooting action and sports, for four years. In good light, I would choose which camera to grab, according to which lens combinations I was using. In low light, I used the 1DX. I sold the 1DX last year, after a year of not shooting much action, and I still have the 1DIV.

For your situation, I would not buy a 1DsIII, I would buy a 1DIV. Sure, the 1DsIII spec says 5 fps, but that's for the first five shots (or so). Once the buffer saturates (which is quickly), it slows down a lot, and it takes a while to clear. If you get a chance to lay your hands on one, make sure to test its performance in high fps, for sustained, intermittent shooting. Its slow buffer would drive me crazy when shooting spots. In fact, that reminds me - this is why I pre-ordered the 1DX when it was announced. I had been shooting sports with the 1DsIII and 1DIV for a couple of years, and I wanted a FF camera that could "keep up" with sustained action. The 1DsIII could not.

Sep 03, 2017 at 04:44 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

OK the 1D MkIV looks like a good option similar price too I'll have a look at it

Sep 03, 2017 at 05:42 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Agreed, the 1d4 is better in most regards, other than being a slight crop, which actually has some benefits.

Sep 03, 2017 at 05:51 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

1D4 should be a similar price and is a more modern camera in some ways.

That said, both are still very, very good cameras and I still routinely deliver files to clients shot on a 1Ds2 that I gave my assistant (when the light is there of course).

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:27 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I do NOT foresee ever selling my 1DsIII, and I'm a psychic No issues.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:49 AM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I have a 1DSiii which I have used as my main camera since December 2007. It produces beautiful files. I've shot loads of high school sports with it. The autofocus is superb. The buffer does fill up and there will be times you wished it were bigger. Just as in the film days, you will have to rely on your reflexes and timing to get the best shots. Holding down the button will not suffice. Its highest ISO is 3200. Its performance at this speed depends on the scene contrast more than anything else. Ice hockey at 3200 is very clean. Night football much less so, but still quite acceptable, especially when compared to film. For most other events, I try to keep the ISO no higher than 800. There are not many events with lighting so dim that this is much of a handicap, especially if you are blending some flash into the mix. The camera is built like a brick outhouse and the battery will go forever. Like all 1D series it is heavy. It produces beautiful portrait files. In my view, it is an eminently capable machine. I have recently purchased a 5DS that produces files that are twice as big, but the 1DS is still my go-to camera. In my view, it is a much more mature version of the 1DSii, which I also owned. In particular, the files are much cleaner, for want of a better word. Did I mention that I fell in love with the camera, in ways that I never did with any previous Canon digital (I owned them all - D30, D60, 10D, 1DS and 1DSii) each was better than the previous version, but the 1DSiii did it all superbly, with the exception of the smaller buffer and low top ISO. There were serial numbers affected by the autofocus problems. I wish I could tell you those numbers. Mine was not, so I can't give you any more info. CPS can probably help you. I have not owned a 1DX or 1DXii so I can't give you any comparison. As my work was mostly portraits & events, until the 5DS, Canon did not produce a successor to the 1DSiii. Call me spoiled, but I still prefer the robustness of the 1D body.

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:46 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I used to work with two 1Ds3 bodies as my main workhorses. One of them was a bit unreliable to AF but nothing that wasn't fixable by MA my lenses.

The daylight files from 1Ds3 are hard to beat to this day. There's something special going on for sure. Lovely balanced colors and it always...ALWAYS gets the skintones just right. Amazing camera in that department. Just like the previous 1Ds2 and good old 5D Classic.

1D4 is also very good

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:09 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I've had mine for 10 years. Still a great camera.. No AF issues for me. I do not do sports.

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:12 AM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Mine works great. No complaints whatsoever!

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:09 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

None that I ever recognized. To be fair, our 1Ds III was less likely to be used for difficult AF subjects than out 1D IV or 1Dx cameras. 1Ds III files were very handsome.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:25 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Before I had my 1Dx, I had a 1DsIII. I thought it took spectacular photos....I dont think you can really go wrong with one!

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:08 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

I still have my 1Ds MKIII. It was the MK III that had the focus issues (in bright light). Even though there was no Focus problem for me I sent my MK III in for the mod so I could resell it.

I paid $7400 for the 1Ds MKIII in the day. Can't imagine selling it for something like $1000 since it is pristine. But yes is slows down after a few shots. 21 mP was a BIG deal back then.

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:09 PM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

so from all accounts the buffer size is the main draw back

I never really shot in RAW so I am going to assume if shot in large Jpeg it would clear quicker??

And when I shoot as I understand surfing done it all my life I can actually see whats coming and just fire off 1 2 or 3 shots not a fan of machine gun stan

So its done, a 1DS MkIII it is

giddee up

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:12 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Tried posting earlier...

I would not choose a 1DIV over a 1DsIII if ultimate image quality is the main criteria.

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:23 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1DS mkIII did it have AF issues

Great camera. Still have mine and use it for macros. There was no AF issues based on serial numbers. As mentioned, the AF issues were with the 1D III which was a crop 1.3 body.

I don't use mine for fast shooting. I use a 1D IV. The 1Ds III Is built like a tank and also supports interchangeably focus screens. No plans to sell my 1Ds III now or into the foreseably future.

Sep 03, 2017 at 09:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.