New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

Although 200 f/2 is arguably one of the best performing telephoto EF lenses, I haven't used mine very much, and that sort of inactivity has prompted me to offer it for sale.
However, in order to reacquaint myself with its capability, I've taken one last look at recent and older BIF shots done with it.
The results I've got with it (mostly mounted on 1DX) are kind of interesting to review again, and they have made me take a second look at my gear divestment strategy. Granted, I do own a nice 200 f/1.8, however, I have been hesitant to use it in Servo AF mode, particularly so because 200 f/2 has a decidedly better AF performance.

Before I post some sample pictures, let us talk a bit about 200 f/2 (and its precursor 200 f/1.8). What do you think I will (or should) do now ? Sell it or keep it ?

Edited on Sep 03, 2017 at 10:01 AM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2017 at 07:26 PM
d831
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

Between the two, for your usage, I'd say 200mm f/2 all day. For portraits (and people photography in general), the f/1.8.

Sep 02, 2017 at 07:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

d831 wrote:
Between the two, for your usage, I'd say 200mm f/2 all day. For portraits (and people photography in general), the f/1.8.

That makes lottsa sense.

Sep 02, 2017 at 07:38 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

Watching your recent B&S ads, I'm surprised you have any lenses left I have no knowledge, experience nor a desire to own a 200/2 (1.8) so I can't offer much towards that decision (although I'm patiently waiting to see these newest results).

What I wonder is what final super telephoto lens lineup you are aiming to end up with? Will it be 300/2.8 and 500/4 and 100-400II? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sep 02, 2017 at 08:04 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

arbitrage wrote:
Watching your recent B&S ads, I'm surprised you have any lenses left I have no knowledge, experience nor a desire to own a 200/2 (1.8) so I can't offer much towards that decision (although I'm patiently waiting to see these newest results).

What I wonder is what final super telephoto lens lineup you are aiming to end up with? Will it be 300/2.8 and 500/4 and 100-400II? Inquiring minds want to know.

My plan is to stabilize my telephoto lens kit on the following lenses: 200 f/1.8 (or 200 f/2), 300 II, 500 II and 100-400 II.

However, if I do not get my prices for the 800, 400 II and 200 f/2 currently listed on B&S, the sales will be withdrawn, and that will not break my heart either.

Sep 02, 2017 at 08:40 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

PetKal wrote:
My plan is to stabilize my telephoto lens kit on the following lenses: 200 f/1.8 (or 200 f/2), 300 II, 500 II and 100-400 II.

However, if I do not get my prices for the 800, 400 II and 200 f/2 currently listed on B&S, the sales will be withdrawn, and that will not break my heart either.

Wouldn't a 2.8/200L be a better choice for BIF? Yes I know the brighter ones are optically superior (in theory at least), but how often do you use f/2 or even f/2.8 for in flight shots? It probably offers creative possibilities, but most of the time it just means way to little DOF ... The bigger aperture might help with focus speed/accuracy, however the lens elements that have to be moved are also much bigger, so I doubt AF is much faster on the extra-right models (the f/2.8 already has really fast AF). And the lighter lens is much easier to handle, which should be an advantage except for very slow flight.

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:44 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

technic wrote:
Wouldn't a 2.8/200L be a better choice for BIF? Yes I know the brighter ones are optically superior (in theory at least), but how often do you use f/2 or even f/2.8 for in flight shots? It probably offers creative possibilities, but most of the time it just means way to little DOF ... The bigger aperture might help with focus speed/accuracy, however the lens elements that have to be moved are also much bigger, so I doubt AF is much faster on the extra-right models (the f/2.8 already has really fast AF). And the lighter lens is much easier
...Show more

We all shake differently.
Some have a low frequency wobble, some exhibit a high frequency tremour, and many are in between. I happen to be in a hi frequency shaker group. Therefore, for hand-held use I favour heavier lenses such as 200 f/2.0, compared to 200 f/2.8, because they attenuate such high frequency shake of my hands.
Moreover, 200 f/2 is equipped with a 4 stop IS which aids steadiness even more. When shooting with 200 f/2 I find AF to be significantly more responsive than with any f/2.8 lens, which is due to its fast aperture, and it is not dependent much on the lens AF drive max speed. In fact, regardless of whether we look at 600 f/4 lens or 200 f/2.8 lens, the focusing element group is in the narrow end of the lens, and those groups for different lenses are all of a similar low weight order of magnitude. The ring USMs can drive any of them as fast as need be.
(However, I think people place way too much stock on max speed of lens AF drive. For example, 85L has a terribly slow AF drive, yet in many instances the lens allows very responsive and accurate auto focusing. In fact, in really low light, the setup based on 85L will outfocus just about anything else. )

So, yes, I like 200 f/2.8 a lot, but in my eyes 200 f/2 is in another performance league.
(Needless to say, where weight and fatigue is (becomes) a factor, then one would do better with a light lens such as 200 f/2.8.)

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:24 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slow BIF shooting with 200 f/2.0

My philosophy on keeping gear always revolves around how often I use it. If I use it on a regular basis then I can justify keeping it. If I use it rarely then it goes. I had the 200/2 for a while but for my use for indoor sports I found it far to tight to shoot. I'm hoping Canon releases an updated 135/2 because on a FF body I think that will be almost perfect for my use.

I doubt you have any kind of issues being too tight though.

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.