Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              6       7       end
  

Nikon D850 What more do you need?
  
 
reggieb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


mach250 wrote:
you guys joke but I wonder why they are scared to bump it out of the 8XX realm into the 900 or whatever. D850 sounds like they are going to continue to "nickle and dime" us. I've been plenty happy with my D700 since 2008 and only really want the D850 for those times when I want to do videos, bet the next iteration of this camera will have 4k60.


I think it's just that they're running out of numbers to use.



Sep 04, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Mark_L
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


runamuck wrote:
Meanwhile, my D800 continues happily shooting pix. The D850 will not diminish the quality of my shooting. However, should someone wish to donate one to my cause I would accept it gratefully.


Still using my D800E. Happy with the IQ but not the AF. If the D850 had been 60MP with 16 stops of DR I might have been tempted.

reggieb wrote:
I think it's just that they're running out of numbers to use.


I think so too. They used up 100 to 800 rather quickly.



Sep 04, 2017 at 08:00 PM
wjmeyer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


The D850 is the D700 replacement I've been hoping for. What more do I need, I'd say better sRAW/mRAW conversion in 14 bit. Since Nikon hasn't mentioned anything about this in their marketing for the D850 I'm thinking they haven't changed anything since the D810 so I wish they would have spent some engineering progress on this feature for those of us who don't always need Uber megapixels. That being said, with the speed of the camera I am not going to be bothered too much and will probably find myself using full megapixels and crop/resize in post as necessary.

Of course, I'd prefer a baby D5 or a D850 with the same sensor as the D5 for better high ISO performance, but I don't think we'll see that happen. Maybe a D760 will have the ISO but it won't have the AF which is really what this body needs.



Sep 04, 2017 at 11:16 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


I'm very happy with what I see from the D850. Going from [email protected] to [email protected] means useful data throughput went from 180 MP/sec to 405 MP/sec... more than double (2.25x) the data. I need the high frame rates, and now I can get them at nearly double the pixel count of the D500. The buffer is also deep enough to be healthy for anything except airshows.

Given that I expect it to have better DR, better high-ISO performance, and a better physical layout than the D810, given all of the above I'm thrilled. And that's not even counting the video improvements, which I don't care about but seem quite significant.

So if I had to ask for anything more, I'd ask for a deeper buffer.



Sep 05, 2017 at 01:02 AM
stuuke
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


wjmeyer wrote:
The D850 is the D700 replacement I've been hoping for. What more do I need, I'd say better sRAW/mRAW conversion in 14 bit. Since Nikon hasn't mentioned anything about this in their marketing for the D850 I'm thinking they haven't changed anything since the D810 so I wish they would have spent some engineering progress on this feature for those of us who don't always need Uber megapixels. That being said, with the speed of the camera I am not going to be bothered too much and will probably find myself using full megapixels and crop/resize in post as necessary.
...Show more

What I've been told is that Nikon put the sRaw and mRaw in there because they're tired of hearing about Canon having it. Since it's not actually a real raw it's kind of pointless.



Sep 05, 2017 at 01:42 AM
Pavel
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


I sort of abandoned Nikon for Fuji and Olympus for various reasons, but have always missed the "real" viewfinder that only an SLR has. Now that the D850 has focus stacking, the reasons for keeping my m43 gear have been cut in half. There is the weight savings still, but I often wonder about what sort of wimp I've become to boo hoo that I can't carry a few pounds of extra weight for superior image quality and noise performance.

I mean, do I accept a large drop in IQ for less weight, or do I accept more weight for the best images possible today?

If photography means something enough to be worth the effort in the first place, who in their right mind would chose the above first option? Especially when the iPhone is really the way to save weight and is always with me anyways.

The D850 is a "game changer" for me. Hello Nikon ... again.



Sep 05, 2017 at 04:46 AM
Charles Loy
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


^ Welcome back to Nikon
If a person does not have what it takes to hold up and use a D-SLR camera he should not admit it.



Sep 05, 2017 at 10:53 AM
Mark_L
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Pavel wrote:
I mean, do I accept a large drop in IQ for less weight, or do I accept more weight for the best images possible today?

If photography means something enough to be worth the effort in the first place, who in their right mind would chose the above first option?


This is my view too however these cameras are often bough by rich amateurs to take pics of their kids at the weekend and post them on facebook. Just look at the shutter counts on the D800/810s for sale!



Sep 05, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Big Appa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


What more do I need? $3000.

Ed



Sep 05, 2017 at 11:16 AM
kaplah
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


GradyBaby wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=245&v=pp2NMRkgOM0


What more I need is WiFi independent of SnapBridge.



Sep 05, 2017 at 12:06 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


Frode
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?




Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'm very happy with what I see from the D850. Going from [email protected] to [email protected] means useful data throughput went from 180 MP/sec to 405 MP/sec... more than double (2.25x) the data. I need the high frame rates, and now I can get them at nearly double the pixel count of the D500. The buffer is also deep enough to be healthy for anything except airshows.

Given that I expect it to have better DR, better high-ISO performance, and a better physical layout than the D810, given all of the above I'm thrilled. And that's not even counting the video
...Show more

Sorry, but according to Nikon the D850 has the SAME dynamic range AS the D810: https://m.dpreview.com/news/6772782345/exclusive-nikon-answers-20-popular-questions-about-the-nikon-d850



Sep 05, 2017 at 12:11 PM
kaplah
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


stuuke wrote:
What I've been told is that Nikon put the sRaw and mRaw in there because they're tired of hearing about Canon having it. Since it's not actually a real raw it's kind of pointless.


I don't think anyone has confirmed that the small and medium Raws are not "real", although existing sRaw implementations aren't. Possibly Nikon has learned from that - time will tell.




Sep 05, 2017 at 12:12 PM
henry albert
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


rand1951 wrote:
I shoot a D500 with a nikon 400mm F/2.8 AF-S most of the time for wildlife and trees. The D850 with double the MB plus & photo stacking is an instant winner. Most of my wildlife shots are cropped and with the D850 fps capturing many motion shots coupled with the double megabyte files it essentially puts me closer to the subject after cropping.

.


No, t doesn't. It doesn't have double the bytes in the crop zone. Compared to the D500 there is no digital zoom.



Sep 05, 2017 at 12:53 PM
BSPhotog
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


DandL wrote:
Why what? Dual memory cards that are the same or no interest in the D750?

If your question is regarding the card slots, I use the second card as a backup to the first. I don't like the idea of having to invest in multiple formats. For my needs, I don't see dissimilar card formats as being an advantage. I am willing to fully embrace the XQD format, or stick with SD, but not both.

I know it's not quite the same, but this XQD vs SD reminds me of Beta vs VHS, +R vs -R, Bluray vs HD, etc, etc...


I was referring to the card slots. I guess if you already have SD cards, it is actually LESS of an investment for the use you are describing. You can continue to use your existing SD cards, and buy a few XQD cards as well instead of replacing everything you already have. I was just trying to imagine a scenario where you'd need to be able to use the same physical memory card in either slot but couldn't think of one.

In a perfect world, everything would use the same battery and same memory--but our world is more complex than that.



Sep 05, 2017 at 01:15 PM
Mark_L
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


kaplah wrote:
I don't think anyone has confirmed that the small and medium Raws are not "real", although existing sRaw implementations aren't. Possibly Nikon has learned from that - time will tell.


I sincerely hope so. The previous attempt was a joke.



Sep 05, 2017 at 01:39 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?




Pavel wrote:
I sort of abandoned Nikon for Fuji and Olympus for various reasons, but have always missed the "real" viewfinder that only an SLR has. Now that the D850 has focus stacking, the reasons for keeping my m43 gear have been cut in half. There is the weight savings still, but I often wonder about what sort of wimp I've become to boo hoo that I can't carry a few pounds of extra weight for superior image quality and noise performance.

I mean, do I accept a large drop in IQ for less weight, or do I accept more weight for
...Show more
This is like you're reading my mind!



Sep 05, 2017 at 01:44 PM
rand1951
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Like you putting the quality of the image first and foremost as opposed to weight & size of gear, this may be one of the core differences for points of view. Light, lens and camera in that order are factors for image quality for me.

In my perfect world the new 850 would have two xqd card slots, that is the one item am surprised was not included in Nikons' new camera.



Sep 05, 2017 at 02:51 PM
Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


I'm torn, on the one hand I love popping SD cards out of my camera and directly into my MacBook Pro, on the other hand I'm a speed junky and hate knowing that convenience is costing me buffer depth etc. So my one legitimate gripe with this camera is the lack of dual XQD.

In an ideal world, would be fun if they launched a sister mirrorless model along side it so some people on the web would shut up and the world would be at peace. (Lol)



Sep 05, 2017 at 03:10 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


reggieb wrote:
I think it's just that they're running out of numbers to use.


I think the next wave of cameras (excluding any "S" models or whatever they might do in between) will be D6, D860, D760, D560, D7600. They have a ways to go yet with their current scheme. They can just add numbers or change it however they want too, it doesn't make much of a difference as it's always obvious where the products are positioned.


Frode wrote:
Sorry, but according to Nikon the D850 has the SAME dynamic range AS the D810: https://m.dpreview.com/news/6772782345/exclusive-nikon-answers-20-popular-questions-about-the-nikon-d850


Actually it has overall better DR from what we can see so far. Same at base ISO (we are pretty much at the limits there already with the D810), but better at high ISOs. The fact that they seem to have done that plus increased resolution over 50% and added an electronic shutter is remarkable.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20D850



Sep 05, 2017 at 03:45 PM
walts.photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Yea, what I don't get, if XQD cards are the fast ones, then how do you use the SD for backup? Maybe if the SD card could write reduced size, lossy compressed RAW files, it would be useful. But not jpeg, OMG!


Sep 05, 2017 at 04:17 PM
1       2      
3
       4              6       7       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password