Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              6       7       end
  

Nikon D850 What more do you need?
  
 
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Spectro wrote:
^ I agree and am sure many retailers will try to get us to trade our D500/810 combos for D850 and grip. Other than the D850 having the D500 ergonomics and AF, which I love, that could be an expensive switch when considering depreciation.


Am I right in thinking we also need to change all our cards too?



Sep 03, 2017 at 01:55 PM
ckcarr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Nikon D850 What more do you need?

The D851 of course.



Sep 03, 2017 at 02:26 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


ckcarr wrote:
The D851 of course.


A D860 probably, which will be the D850 with all the screwups fixed.



Sep 03, 2017 at 03:08 PM
mach250
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


you guys joke but I wonder why they are scared to bump it out of the 8XX realm into the 900 or whatever. D850 sounds like they are going to continue to "nickle and dime" us. I've been plenty happy with my D700 since 2008 and only really want the D850 for those times when I want to do videos, bet the next iteration of this camera will have 4k60.


Sep 03, 2017 at 06:30 PM
ilkka_nissila
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


A name is just a name. I think they chose to have the digit 5 in the D5, D500, D7500 and D850 to signify that these are of the same generation. However the naming is generally not very consistent. D820 would have made more sense to me. I guess it is a different series from the D810 in the sense that high speed has been added (to all of these four cameras).

As for no D900, well, Nikon don't want to run out of numbers so quickly.



Sep 03, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


ilkka_nissila wrote:
D820 would have made more sense to me.


Considering that the D610 and D810 were extremely and fairly minor tweaks on their predecessors the name 'D820' would've made people assume this was another such tweak.

Like you say the naming is inconsistent, so us knowledgeable users would've known better, but Nikon still seems to imagine they're a consumer electronics company which is going to be selling these to uninitiated window shoppers at Best Buy.



Sep 03, 2017 at 08:28 PM
stuuke
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


A real small RAW option would make it the perfect camera for me.

Edited on Sep 04, 2017 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions



Sep 03, 2017 at 08:49 PM
ariel777
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


N is saving the "900" for one big costly change. The 850 is just a tease with nice, but not overwhelming, updates.


Sep 03, 2017 at 09:02 PM
zippylock
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Not really a complaint, but if i could do something to it, i would make it lighter since i like to go hiking/mountain climbing. Most dont worry about that, but i stopped lugging my D700 with me until recently because the size/weight. the D750 is quit a bit lighter i saw?

Also, i don't understand the 'smaller RAW file size' option yet, but it doesn't like its not just smaller but actually compressing and hurting the quality if you do this? I only need 24mp's and any more then that for my needs will just hog storage space and make it harder to send the files.



Sep 03, 2017 at 09:13 PM
mach250
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


zippylock wrote:
Also, i don't understand the 'smaller RAW file size' option yet, but it doesn't like its not just smaller but actually compressing and hurting the quality if you do this? I only need 24mp's and any more then that for my needs will just hog storage space and make it harder to send the files.


From what I've seen so far think about large/medium/small versions of JPG files with lower resolutions but instead with raw files.



Sep 04, 2017 at 01:32 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


Danner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


At the very least, the D850 will be the 'very fine Swiss Army Knife' of cameras. Lots of high performance capability.


Sep 04, 2017 at 03:36 AM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


Meanwhile, my D800 continues happily shooting pix. The D850 will not diminish the quality of my shooting. However, should someone wish to donate one to my cause I would accept it gratefully.


Sep 04, 2017 at 05:11 AM
rand1951
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


I shoot a D500 with a nikon 400mm F/2.8 AF-S most of the time for wildlife and trees. The D850 with double the MB plus & photo stacking is an instant winner. Most of my wildlife shots are cropped and with the D850 fps capturing many motion shots coupled with the double megabyte files it essentially puts me closer to the subject after cropping.

Should make an amazing wildlife lens.



Sep 04, 2017 at 02:10 PM
DandL
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


I need dual memory card slots that are either XQD OR SD, but not one slot of each. I know the D750 has two SD slots, but I'm not interested in the D750.


Sep 04, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Steve Perry
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


rand1951 wrote:
I shoot a D500 with a nikon 400mm F/2.8 AF-S most of the time for wildlife and trees. The D850 with double the MB plus & photo stacking is an instant winner. Most of my wildlife shots are cropped and with the D850 fps capturing many motion shots coupled with the double megabyte files it essentially puts me closer to the subject after cropping.

Should make an amazing wildlife lens.


If you're cropping most of your wildlife shots from a D500, the D850 is kind of a waste of money - it's roughly the same pixel density.



Sep 04, 2017 at 02:37 PM
BSPhotog
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?




DandL wrote:
I need dual memory card slots that are either XQD OR SD, but not one slot of each. I know the D750 has two SD slots, but I'm not interested in the D750.


Why?



Sep 04, 2017 at 03:06 PM
DandL
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


BSPhotog wrote:
Why?


Why what? Dual memory cards that are the same or no interest in the D750?

If your question is regarding the card slots, I use the second card as a backup to the first. I don't like the idea of having to invest in multiple formats. For my needs, I don't see dissimilar card formats as being an advantage. I am willing to fully embrace the XQD format, or stick with SD, but not both.

I know it's not quite the same, but this XQD vs SD reminds me of Beta vs VHS, +R vs -R, Bluray vs HD, etc, etc...



Sep 04, 2017 at 03:58 PM
jbonzo1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


runamuck wrote:
Meanwhile, my D800 continues happily shooting pix. The D850 will not diminish the quality of my shooting. However, should someone wish to donate one to my cause I would accept it gratefully.


+1
Perfectly happy with my D800E for my shooting needs. Now, if a D850 shows up on the B&S Board in a few months at a great price...



Sep 04, 2017 at 04:35 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


ilkka_nissila wrote:
A name is just a name. I think they chose to have the digit 5 in the D5, D500, D7500 and D850 to signify that these are of the same generation. However the naming is generally not very consistent. D820 would have made more sense to me. I guess it is a different series from the D810 in the sense that high speed has been added (to all of these four cameras).

As for no D900, well, Nikon don't want to run out of numbers so quickly.


Madame Ruth convinced Nikon brass that 5 was their lucky number. Plus she gave each executive his own personal bottle of Love Potion Number 9



Sep 04, 2017 at 06:25 PM
Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D850 What more do you need?


100% agree with you! Begrudgingly just parted ways with my D800E after 5 years- not because of image quality.. but because at the time of announcement I was looking to pick up a used D4s & the D850 gets rid of that need for me.

jbonzo1 wrote:
+1
Perfectly happy with my D800E for my shooting needs. Now, if a D850 shows up on the B&S Board in a few months at a great price...




Sep 04, 2017 at 06:39 PM
1      
2
       3              6       7       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password