Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G
Klaus Schroiff at Photozone.com just posted his review on the Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G.
Note: Imatest charts are positioned at close distance and therefore these results could differ when compared to testing the lens at infinity.

Here is an excerpt from his verdict:

“The Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G is a bit of a surprising lens in a couple of ways. Upon first contact, you will notice how small it is compared to similar (DSLR-)offerings. It's even more obvious in term of weight (565g vs 1150g for the Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM ART). Now you may expect that this comes with a couple of compromises but there are actually only a few. The resolution characteristic is very decent. It's already pretty good at f/4 (except at 24mm) and quite impressive between f/5.6 and f/8.”

“If ultra-wide perspectives are simply your thing then the Sony is a no-brainer. Highly recommended!”

Read Photozone's entire review


The Sony 12-24/4G is now in stock.

Help support FM by using our links for your purchase! - Thank you!

Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G:
B&H Photo | Adorama

------------------

Interested in finding out more about the 12-24/4G? Check out the threads below:
  1. Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

  2. Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

  3. Sony FE 12-24/4 G Lightroom Lens Profile FIX!

  4. LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G








Sep 02, 2017 at 06:04 PM
GabrielPhoto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


I was expecting a 4 start rating for optical performance at least specially if evaluated against other similar zooms.




Sep 02, 2017 at 06:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


GabrielPhoto wrote:
I was expecting a 4 start rating for optical performance at least specially if evaluated against other similar zooms.



"Stars" and "Scores" seem a bit subjective to me. It's interesting to read the reviewer opinion while putting more value on the data and sample images.



Sep 02, 2017 at 06:58 PM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


The only nitpick I have about this lens is the less pronounced and/or less beautiful star burst, relative to the Loxia 21mm and both the Voigtlander 10mm and 12mm. Like a bunch of folks, I didn't see this lens on the radar and relied pretty much on the combo CV 12mm and Loxia 21mm for my go to ultra wide angle needs in a compact albeit not so light needs. This lens changed the delicate balance as it is a zoom lens and very convenient to use in a lightweight but yet a tad bulky all in one lens.


Sep 02, 2017 at 07:08 PM
GabrielPhoto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Fred Miranda wrote:
"Stars" and "Scores" seem a bit subjective to me. It's interesting to read the reviewer opinion while putting more value on the data and sample images.


Oh I have the lens so I know what it can do, just felt that a 3.5 out of 5 seems low as an evaluation of this great lens.



Sep 02, 2017 at 07:27 PM
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


As far as Photozone reviews go, 3.5/5 is very good. It's not like school marks where 3 is rock bottom.
The high (in absolute terms) distortion and vignetting probably caused the lower score, as well as the performance at 24mm f/4 - which is, however, nowhere nearly as dismal as that of the Sigma at the same setting, where field curvature ran rampant.
All in all, a lens which makes me want to switch to the E mount.



Sep 02, 2017 at 07:59 PM
GabrielPhoto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Snopchenko wrote:
As far as Photozone reviews go, 3.5/5 is very good. It's not like school marks where 3 is rock bottom.
The high (in absolute terms) distortion and vignetting probably caused the lower score, as well as the performance at 24mm f/4 - which is, however, nowhere nearly as dismal as that of the Sigma at the same setting, where field curvature ran rampant.
All in all, a lens which makes me want to switch to the E mount.


Join us!



Sep 02, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Trek_of_Joy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Snopchenko wrote:
All in all, a lens which makes me want to switch to the E mount.


Ditto. This lens has me regretting my move to Fuji from Sony late last year.

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in....



Sep 02, 2017 at 09:57 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


GabrielPhoto wrote:
Oh I have the lens so I know what it can do, just felt that a 3.5 out of 5 seems low as an evaluation of this great lens.


Photozone grades lenses absolutely, not relative to the kind of lens (prime, zoom, wide, long etc)
I don't think they ever give anything five stars; the highest would 4 or 4.5. And that lens would be a supertele or short tele prime, which tend for design reasons to perform much better than zooms, and much better than wides, and so much much better than wide zooms!

I suspect 3.5 stars is likely the highest score ever to a UW zoom at PZ



Sep 02, 2017 at 10:45 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


A few lenses did get 5(*), like the Canon 70-200/2.8 II (on APS-C) and, most recently, the Sigma 135/1.8 which Klaus called the best they ever tested.

DavidBM wrote:
Photozone grades lenses absolutely, not relative to the kind of lens (prime, zoom, wide, long etc)
I don't think they ever give anything five stars; the highest would 4 or 4.5. And that lens would be a supertele or short tele prime, which tend for design reasons to perform much better than zooms, and much better than wides, and so much much better than wide zooms!

I suspect 3.5 stars is likely the highest score ever to a UW zoom at PZ




Sep 02, 2017 at 11:20 PM
GabrielPhoto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Snopchenko wrote:
A few lenses did get 5(*), like the Canon 70-200/2.8 II (on APS-C) and, most recently, the Sigma 135/1.8 which Klaus called the best they ever tested.



I love my Sigma so no argument there and the 70-200 I had was brilliant (better than the one copy of the GM I tested).



Sep 02, 2017 at 11:29 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Snopchenko wrote:
A few lenses did get 5(*), like the Canon 70-200/2.8 II (on APS-C) and, most recently, the Sigma 135/1.8 which Klaus called the best they ever tested.



Knew about the Canon but that was on APSC crop where the absolute performance is indeed impeccable.
Didn't know about the Sigma but I'm not surprised: it's a great lens and it's a focal length where a great lens can be pretty much perfect. The point is that the really high scores will always be in categories where it's relatively easy to get great results, since these numbers do *not* compare performance with lenses in a similar class (must say though in impressed that, even on crop, even at closer PZ test distances, that Canon zoom did so well. Must have been a great sample as well as a great design)



Sep 03, 2017 at 12:00 AM
TakenWild
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


I just picked up my fe 12-24mm yesterday. Looking forward to testing up against my Canon 16-35mm f4 with Sigma adapter and my Canon 17 and 24II TSEs.


Sep 03, 2017 at 12:03 AM
stevei
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Interesting they say it's quite a bit worse than the Batis 18 at f/4 and f/5.6. There must be some sample variation at work, as from memory, more than one forum member has found the 12-24 to be better than the Batis 18 at the edges.

Batis 18 f/5.6: 5199, 5097, 4191, 3965
12-24 18 f/5.6: 4854, 4362, 3927, 3698
24-70 24 f/5.6: 4985, 4508, 3913, 3753

So the 12-24 at 18 is close to the 24-70 GM at 24, but it seems they're still not quite prime quality.



Sep 03, 2017 at 12:36 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


You should be thankful he assigned the sweet 12-24 a score at all. He appears to have 'reserved judgment' on the Canon 11-24 on the 50mp sensor...and gave it no score at all (!), yet went to the trouble to also test the giant wide zoom on 21mp, for which it received 3.5-4 stars. He is clearly and understandably testing with an eye to the readership, don't expect Sony lenses to be rated on 24mp anytime soon.

Best to take all forms of testing into consideration and thank people for their efforts. Reading between the lines, he seems to be struggling with admitting how good the Sony zoom is. There are the usual digs at s/w correction and favourite aberrations like vignetting. He got around to the Batis 18mm and give it 4 stars. The Batis WAs are great lenses, as MTF makes clear. They have to be, because the wide zooms are improving fast and the 12-24 is a pearler.



Sep 03, 2017 at 01:17 PM
bjornthun
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


philip_pj wrote:
You should be thankful he assigned the sweet 12-24 a score at all. He appears to have 'reserved judgment' on the Canon 11-24 on the 50mp sensor...and gave it no score at all (!), yet went to the trouble to also test the giant wide zoom on 21mp, for which it received 3.5-4 stars. He is clearly and understandably testing with an eye to the readership, don't expect Sony lenses to be rated on 24mp anytime soon.

Best to take all forms of testing into consideration and thank people for their efforts. Reading between the lines, he seems to be
...Show more

I find it interesting that he struggles "with admitting how good the Sony zoom is".



Sep 03, 2017 at 01:34 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


Well I tend to ignore this a little. I tested mine several times with my Big Bronco tests with that ND clip on and without. So I think I have like 4 tests like that. The only weak spot I found in zoom range was 24mm but at f8 it did catch up to my Batis 25 and for some strange reason I got a amazing. Batis 25 that's sharp to the corners by 2.8. I tested informally ( no tripod) against the Batis 18 and the zoom beat it.

The only weak spot is flare and sunstars. For a zoom that covers 12-21 extremely well. I'll take it you can keep the stars. Lol

Fred's test against the CV12 made me sell that lens. So between a lot of folks here that I respect there testing and images posted, I'm pretty stinking happy.



Sep 03, 2017 at 01:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photozone reviews Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G


stevei wrote:
Interesting they say it's quite a bit worse than the Batis 18 at f/4 and f/5.6. There must be some sample variation at work, as from memory, more than one forum member has found the 12-24 to be better than the Batis 18 at the edges.

Batis 18 f/5.6: 5199, 5097, 4191, 3965
12-24 18 f/5.6: 4854, 4362, 3927, 3698
24-70 24 f/5.6: 4985, 4508, 3913, 3753

So the 12-24 at 18 is close to the 24-70 GM at 24, but it seems they're still not quite prime quality.


I've been following Photozone's reviews for long time and really like Klaus' tests. It's a way to know how a lens performs at close and mid distances. However...I keep a couple things in mind...

How close does he need to be to a test chart with an ultra wide? That's probably makes for the discrepancy compared to infinity tests.

I've tested many copies of the FE 12-24G and only one was really great from 20-24mm, so there is variation in play. I believe he only tests one copy and therefore we should treat his results based on one sample. IMO, it's a good ballpark as long as it's not a terrible copy but it's never enough to definitively conclude on how the lens performs.



Sep 03, 2017 at 03:23 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password